Alvis Stalwart - Accurate Armour

Here's some pics of the AA Stalwart I've been working on for a while.

First attempt at an all-resin kit, but the engineering is superb - once the pieces are cleaned up, the fit is excellent. Thanks to Dereck too from AA for supplying me with a few parts I was missing (or put aside somewhere and lost!). Still got the cab searchlight to add (waiting for some Little Lenses) and might dial back the weathering a bit.

Stalwart2_zpsa60a4cbe.jpg

Stalwart1_zps6a4d3675.jpg

My first use of pastel chalks to weather - went a bit overboard, as when wet, they are quite hard to see (a bit like real mud!) Didn't want to obscure the lines of the Stolly too much, as they are fascinating subjects - so futuristic and 'Thunderbirds'-looking!

Stalwart4_zps4b295294.jpg

Stalwart5_zps4d5c38b6.jpg

Couple of SLRs in the rifle-racks if you look closely! :)

I really think Britain reached the pinnacle of engineering in the 50s-60s, with machines like this, E-Type, Concord, the TSR-2, hovercraft and Harrier!

Stalwart3_zps30057d4c.jpg

Edited by IanW
  • Like 15

Great job, Ian.

Being stuck mostly in WWII, I was not familiar with this line of 6X6 vehicles.

You're right to mention the E-Type in the same thread as the similarities are striking! :rofl:

Kind regards,

Adam

Very nice indeed. Always liked these things.

The SLR's are a nice touch. Loved that rifle!

I saw one of these in a garage on the A15 a few years ago.

God knows what it cost to fill up!

There was a restoration programme with Suggs (Madness)

on one of the bloke channels a while ago. Very interesting.

First time I've seen one of these built and you done it proud. The mud looks just fine as these things did get rather grubby. :clap:

Great kit (like the SLRs). I like the weathering. It reminds me of the light coloured dust/earth that used to collect on our Chieftains when we were at Hohne ranges and around Soltau Training Area. When they carted us back and forth to the firing line they often did so in Stallys. In the winter months it was a fight to see who got into the 'louvres' (the partition at the back of the cargo bay) as that was the warmest place! You just had to be careful not to catch any sparks from the exhaust when the engine back fired.

Edited by Rocky

Nice kit, nice job, awesome wagon, I've liked these things for 50 yrs +/-, since I got a Matchbox one. I'd say the amount of weathering is spot on, it'd be pretty hard to over weather these seeing as where they went. :)

Steve.

When I was a kid I remember seeing dozens of those things all parked up in a military vehicle compound near were I used to live!,

I always thought how cool they looked!

yours looks really nice! :goodjob:

Thanks guys!

Adam, there is more of a connection between the Stolly and the E-Type than just good looks... I want one of each!

Funny all the comments about the SLR - I put them in because I really enjoyed that rifle too during my time in the Army (NZ). Way better than an M-16, which seemed light and plasticy, with no punch, compared to the heft of the SLR (mind you, I know which I'd rather carry on a forced march!)

And I guess I'll leave the weathering alone too. :)

Cheers for now,

Ian

• Like 1

Fantastic build, it's about time there was a mainstream injection model company out there producing these and other British armour subjects from the 50's to present day, if I ever win the euro lottery, that's what I'll do

what a great way to spend 180 million

Gotta agree with the Widow callsign above, the weathering is spot on, must be the start of the Ex though.

I've seen them when you can't make out the cam colours they have been that dirty :-)

I understand completely! :)

I used Tamiya Nato Green (XF-67) at first and then I read a recommended mix of 50/50 XF-62 and XF-67 as being closer to the original, so I oversprayed with that in places. I then lightened the mix with a bit of white (yellow might have been better) and sprayed top surfaces.

To be honest, i did so many oil washes of black/white/ochre that I'm not sure what the resultant colour really is! :)

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

couple of nice bits of detail on that that aren't on the Firing Line Stolly by the looks of it on and around the cab, like the rubber protection on the hatches - kit looks nice mate.

I'd have your RCT lads down as carrying SMGs rather than SLRs but I'm sure one or two of the lads on here will have a view on that!!

Nice build matey.