Airfix 1/48 Saab JA 37 Jaktviggen

Nice to see it uncovered.

The masking seemed to worked like a charm (minus the paint lift)

I must admit, I had my reservations regarding the colors and seeing it all together now it does look a bit off.

Here is the receipt from a guy who has gotten this paint job into a work of art.

Light Green: 8 parts XF-5 Flat Green, 1 part XF-3 Flat Yellow and 1 part XF-2 Flat White
Dark Green: XF-13 J.A. Green
Black: XF-69 Nato Black
Brown: XF-52 Flat Earth on a black base color.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3519&hilit=splinter&start=50#p33213

/Johan

That's a real shame ! all that work .

My option is the same as Bjorn s , mid green too yellow and green a little too grassy.

Needs to be a touch darker. Bloody good splinter camp though

I added some XF-5 Flat Green to my yellow mix and resprayed the vertical fin:

build_67j.jpg

build_67k.jpg

I like to keep the colours on the lighter side for scale effect. Plus, the todo gloss coats will darken them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I normally reside in the vehicles section, but have been looking through the builds in the Aircraft section and ive just read this from start to finish.

Absolutely stunning work! :thumbsup::D The Viggen is a beautiful aircraft, the shape of it is just perfect!

Cant wait to see more.

Matt

I'm currently touching up all the spots that got lifted off. Primer and paint didn't seem to stick well to the photoetched air brakes, so I had to be very careful masking them with just Stick It Notes.

Totally impressive dedication and a race to the finish with Tarangus! :-D

The tan camo colour appears more saturated and with quite a bit more of a red component than my Viggen eyes are used to. But that may be because of the lighting, colour balance and saturation of the photos – the final arbiter is 'the naked eye of the beholder'.

Inspired, and inspiring, modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

The tan camo colour appears more saturated and with quite a bit more of a red component than my Viggen eyes are used to. But that may be because of the lighting, colour balance and saturation of the photos – the final arbiter is 'the naked eye of the beholder'.

Thanks. Yep, the tan appears too saturated with the surrounding colours. When painted alone by itself, the tan colour looks pretty good. Perhaps it will look better with some weathering and under natural lighting.