Airfix 1/48 Saab JA 37 Jaktviggen

Thanks. I can't wait for the unveiling myself. Not sure how the colours will turn out next to each other.

The black green colour has been mixed whilst waiting for the previous colour to dry:

build_66d.jpg

By the way, here is my Tamiya paint rack:

tamiya_paint_rack.jpg

It's coming - slowly but surely :) One needs to have great patience when masking this. Before I cut the masks, I always double check them against pictures of the real thing and make necessary corrections.

I have the starboard side wing and canard masked:

build_66f.jpg

• Like 1

A GREAT thread although I am beginning to think the title is wrong !....Perhaps it should more accurately be described as a Two Maestros 1:48 Saab JA 37 Viggen, given that there does not appear to be much of the Airfix kit left in the build !. The second Maestro is, of course, you sir for such a marvellous build.

Got the port side canard and wing masked:

build_66g.jpg

What's left of the masking sheets:

build_66h.jpg

Still need to mask the port side fuselage & vertical fin, and top.

• Like 1

That is some good looking masking. I know that it almost drives you mad. I know that in person. I have made this camo myself a few years ago. If you pull it of you will be rewarded with a very stunning model.

Cheers,

Yep, lots and lots of masking - more time was spent on masking than building or painting. Front is done, just top left to do:

build_66k.jpg

Your Viggen is looking great. I have one of these I started a few years ago I really need to finish off. I made a few corrections myself but I built mine before a lot of the aftermarket was released. This build is providing the inspiration I need to get mine finished. (Along with seeing the Viggen fly at Waddington a couple of weeks ago)

Regards,

Mark

The paint lifted in several spots. Plus, I do not like the mid green colour at all - way too yellow. I will mix the paints again and respray all yellow areas.

build_67f.jpg

build_67g.jpg

build_67h.jpg

build_67i.jpg

The dark green colour is OK. The black green is slightly too black, but acceptable.

• Like 3