Final Spitfire Builds! 1/72 Airfix XI & I

Hello again,

As I'm sure a couple of you know, I have one hell of a passion for Spitfire's (particularly XIV's). And for the last couple years I've almost exclusively built Spitfires, all 25 of them in total (more than one a month!). So after my most recent diorama decided to finish the final two kits I have left before starting a civilian De Havilland collection of the Golden Era! One thing to note; usually I spend a week or two getting one model done and spend a lot of time scratchbuilding extras, getting every single detail right. These two I decided I wouldn't get hung up on accuracy or try to make them 100% perfect, I decided just to relax and enjoy the builds.

I'm rambling again.

The penultimate Spitfire I finished is Airfix's Pr XI in 1/72 (Cross kitted IX and XIX). Painted as it was in the 1948 air races, owned by the US Civil Air Attache to London and flown by ex ATA pilot Lettice Curtis. It's depicted in flight beside my ATA Anson diorama.

IMG_6801_zps410af0ec.jpg

IMG_6805_zpsdc8891e6.jpg

10746455956_7733156acc_o.jpg

And my FINAL Spitfire build is Airfix's new tool Mk.I (I just had to finish with the beautiful Mk I).

IMG_6810_zps5b0432ad.jpg

IMG_6813_zps79af4122.jpg

Thanks to everyone who's complimented my Spitfires over the past couple years, and thanks to everyone at BM for improving my modelling! Here's a couple pics to show how much I've improved since joining BM

458182_433985286620080_1926763560_o.jpg

IMG_6798_zpsb7ba1f81.jpg

Well, I guess this is the final Spitfire RFI I'll make for a while! I hope I can still keep you all interested with my upcoming Moth collection ;)

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 11

Moth collection I can't wait!! the diorama above is excellent (using the new bomber command support set?) & inspiring superb spitfire builds

Moth collection I can't wait!! the diorama above is excellent (using the new bomber command support set?) & inspiring superb spitfire builds

Thanks! I have the new Airfix DH.82 and the Frog DH.60G in the post :D

The two MT vehicles are from the RAF Vehicle Set (cut down version of the bomber set).

Ben.

Excellent jobs, Ben! I especially like the PR.XI - I'm doing mine by way of using the Freightdog conversion set with the Airfix PR.XIX. I do think the PR.XI was the best-looking of all the Merlin Spitfires.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1