ESCI 1:48 Saab AJ-37 Viggen

Having been around Viggens a bit

Since you have been around Viggens quite a bit, do you remember what colour was used on the inside of the air intakes? I'm guessing light grey, but I am not sure if it's matt or satin. Thanks.

Crikey that camouflage pattern is amazing! A stunning build and your photos of how you painted the kit very helpful and food for thought

This deserves a bit of a bump up I think. :)

Anyone going through all that effort to get that camo looking right..... :clap:

Excellent job and the patience of a saint. thanks for the painting overview as well. :goodjob:

Thanks.

I went through several colour iterations before settling down to what you see in the pics.

viggen_paints2.jpg

Most people used FS 34227 Pale Green for the mid green colour, which I thought was nowhere close since Pale Green doesn't contain a hint of yellow. Interior Green is much closer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since you have been around Viggens quite a bit, do you remember what colour was used on the inside of the air intakes? I'm guessing light grey, but I am not sure if it's matt or satin. Thanks.

Having climbed around the intakes of JA 37s during my military service I can tell you that there was no paint inside at all, natural metal finish all the way!

Yes, but look at the real Viggen I'm going after:

aj37_35.jpg

There is not a whole lot of weathering that I can see - not even paint chipping at the lip of the intake and the leading edge of the canard & wing. Most people tend to overdo weathering. I prefer to err on the clean side.

simply GREAT!

colours look perfect to me!

(waiting for the new Viggen book, but I think the Splinter colours are, apart from fading, more or less always the same, no?)

:) :)

simply GREAT!

colours look perfect to me!

(waiting for the new Viggen book, but I think the Splinter colours are, apart from fading, more or less always the same, no?)

:) :)

The new Viggen book is great, with tons of close-ups and colour photos. Yes, the four Splinter colours are always the same, just like the four colours on an F-4 Phantom in SEA camo over Vietnam.

I was always fascinated by the SwAF when I was a boy. I did a splinter camo Viggen as a teenager and remember drawing and painting the camo by hand!! This looks fabulous though. Photographed against an airfield backdrop and it would almost look real!!