What would you do? 1/72 RAF Phantom (J) which kit to convert.

zero

Earlier on in this posting it was stated that the F-4J(UK) did not have slatted wings. Take a look at the photo on the site that I have linked of the Tiger Meet a/c and it clearly shows deployed slats.

https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2014/04/british-phantoms-f-4-phantom-ii-in-raf.html?m=1 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monty Python said:

Earlier on in this posting it was stated that the F-4J(UK) did not have slatted wings. Take a look at the photo on the site that I have linked of the Tiger Meet a/c and it clearly shows deployed slats.

https://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2014/04/british-phantoms-f-4-phantom-ii-in-raf.html?m=1 

These are not slats but are leading edge flaps. These were present on all "hard wing " variants of the Phantom, although there were variations over time in the flaps configuration.

Proper slats were only used on the F-4E and derivatives and on the F-4S.

20 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

These are not slats but are leading edge flaps. These were present on all "hard wing " variants of the Phantom, although there were variations over time in the flaps configuration.

Proper slats were only used on the F-4E and derivatives and on the F-4S.

Slats also on the F-4F and a small numbers of Turkish and Greek RF-4Es. Giorgio, you must have had a good night on the grappa before that post. ;-)

11 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Slats also on the F-4F and a small numbers of Turkish and Greek RF-4Es. Giorgio, you must have had a good night on the grappa before that post. 😉

Actually yesterday's was a beer night with a few friends at the pub... 😁

Anyway, I included the F-4F in the "F-4E and derivatives", of which the G also had slats. Or course not all Es and derivatives had slats, the F-4EJ didn't.

I often forget about the few slatted wing RF-4Es... don't know if these may also pass as variants of the F-4E or what.. I'd have to check the relationship between this variant and the RF-4C and the F-4E

IIRC the main airframe difference between C/D and E as originally built is the nose, not sure if the C/D had the slotted stab. Then there are the engines, and the avionics. As the nose of the RFs is obviously different again from the fighters, the remainder of the airframe should be more or less the same, which makes the engines the main recognition Feature of the RF-E, IIRC. The F is, as far as my Memory goes, universally described as a derivative of the E which was both up- (slats) and downgraded (deletion of AIM-7 capability and one fuselage tank); the G is a late E airframe with a lot of electronics wizardry added. --- While we're at designations and ancestry, I have always wondered why the second Batch of RF-Bs wasn't designated RF-J when it had the thick wing and later engines - "sorry, but we can't appropriate Money to a new type" ?

62-12200 was the first YRC-4C (ironicallly flying before the first RF-4B). She was built as an F-4B but was bought by the USAF and modified on the production line to be the RF prototype. She later served as a testbed and became YF-4E with uprated engines, a gun basically sticking out of the front camera bay and retaining the thin wing of the B.

The F was a stripped down version of the E for the German market and was originally planned asa single seater.

The RF-4E was the export version of the new build recon version serving with Israel, Japan, Germany, Greece and Turkey; Greece and Turkey used both hard wing and slatted wing versions - I believe both had 8 of the latter and assume that they were the last tranche of the order and were going down the same line as slatted wing Es. Spain and South Korera used 2nd hand RF-4Cs

Spirit in the Sky gives as 46 the number of RF-4Bs built. The final 12 having the thick wing/wider tyres of the J (not sure about the engine change?) with the last 3 having the rounded recon nose found on later RF-4Cs.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, tempestfan said:

IIRC the main airframe difference between C/D and E as originally built is the nose, not sure if the C/D had the slotted stab. Then there are the engines, and the avionics. As the nose of the RFs is obviously different again from the fighters, the remainder of the airframe should be more or less the same, which makes the engines the main recognition Feature of the RF-E, IIRC. The F is, as far as my Memory goes, universally described as a derivative of the E which was both up- (slats) and downgraded (deletion of AIM-7 capability and one fuselage tank); the G is a late E airframe with a lot of electronics wizardry added. --- While we're at designations and ancestry, I have always wondered why the second Batch of RF-Bs wasn't designated RF-J when it had the thick wing and later engines - "sorry, but we can't appropriate Money to a new type" ?

C and D had no slotted stabilators, while the E had these (but the F didn't...)

My doubt about the RF-4E/RF-4C/F-4E relationship was because I couldn't remember if the RF-4E was an F-4E with the nose and sensors of the C or an RF-4C with the engines of the E... now that I've checked the RF-4E is an F-4E airframe with the nose and other modifications of the RF-4C. From a modeling point of view very little changes, but in terms of the development of the variants there are several differences.

Regarding the G, externally it is pretty much a late E with the relavant modifications but actually all F-4Gs were converted old "hard wing" E airframes. Again, not important from a modelling point of view but interesting to know.

Edited by Giorgio N