What would you do? 1/72 RAF Phantom (J) which kit to convert.

zero

I'm looking at buying a couple of 1/72 Phantoms (F4-S version) to use as RAF J versions.

given that I already have the Xtradecal 74 Sheet, I've been looking at the best kits for the project?

I was considering buying a Brace of Italeri F4-S only to find they have raised panel lines. Someone has suggested the ESCI kit if you can get a hold of it, or I could pick up a couple of cheap Fujimi F4-S kits which are about £20 (inc Postage) ie twice the price of the Italeri ones

Any other options out there, or should I just plum for the Fujimi kits, given I've already got several of there RAF options.

TIA

Dave

Edited by zero

Although the J(UK)'s were pretty much upgraded to S standard they didn't have the slatted wings, so you're much better getting a J kit. Externally minimal (and easily added) difference between a J and J(UK).

I'm looking at buying a couple of 1/72 Phantoms (F4-S version) to use as RAF J versions.

given that I already have the Xtradecal 74 Sheet, I've been looking at the best kits for the project?

I was considering buying a Brace of Italeri F4-S only to find they have raised panel lines. Someone has suggested the ESCI kit if you can get a hold of it, or I could pick up a couple of cheap Fujimi F4-S kits which are about £20 (inc Postage) ie twice the price of the Italeri ones

Any other options out there, or should I just plum for the Fujimi kits, given I've already got several of there RAF options.

TIA

Dave

Suggest you read the pinned topic at the top of this page.

Selwyn

Raised panel lines should never be a disqualifier, at least in my book. A few therapeutic minutes with some wet and dry paper and a kit can be made smooth as a baby's backside. You can buy a lot of sandpaper for the difference in kit cost. . .

After that, you can scribe, draw or ignore surface detail to taste. And in 1/72, there's not a lot you'll need anyway.

Selwyn

Wow. Just wow.

Moving on, as has been mentioned, the UK F-4J's didn't have the slatted wings and are best represented by the F-4J. I'd suggest the Hasegawa in 1/72 - nice engraved detail, but limited cockpit detail and no weapons.

For £20 I'd leave the fujimi kit on the shelf. The j79 powered fujimi phantoms are not as good as the spey powered ones and not as good as hasegawa's new tool kits.

buy fujimi or esci if you can find them for a tenner, for double that money it's possible to find a hase kit

the italeri kit not only had raised panel lines, it's also much less detailed than the Hasegawa kits.. And it's an S anyway

I have always liked the Monogram F-4s. Raised panel lines, but has drooped ailerons, aux intake doors and good detail. If I remember correctly it come with intake ECM aerials as well. Hannants have the Accurate Miniatures boxing for just under £20.

George

Hasegawa and Fujimi have boxed the F4juk for me Hasegawa is the best but can be expensive look around on the second hand scene or try HLJ " you can make a J from any of the U.S Navy boxed kits . The Monagram kit comes second for me but only just over the Fujimi kit . Wasn't Academy promising one this year.

Regards Glenn.

Selwyn

Read it, believe I even added to it? Certainly added to several threads on RAF J phantoms at that time.

However that thread is now 4 years old, kit's move on, also as is clear I missed the wing issue or differences believing a S would be more suitable, clearly (because of this thread!) I now know that's not the case.

Cheers Dave

Thanks for the positive comments chaps

Clearly could have dropped a few big one, bar asking. Seems hasegawa is the way to go, cost is not a issue, but there is a fujimi on Evilbay, but at nearly £40 it can stay there.

Having decals available I only need the right kit, clearly better kits are now available, I also wrongly presumed fujimi none spey kits, would be the same, another mistake avoided, seems a j kit, with the S underwing brace is the way to go, seems I need to scale down the 1/48 one I have, to 1/72

Cheers

Dave

I've done the 74 squadron Phantom with the Modeldecal sheet using The Esci kit, it turned out very nice. As a note bear in mind that the colours used were US equiverlant FS numbers and NOT BS standard, the fuselage was also undercoated yellow so after a while took on a very blueish hue, I painted mine, The fuselage, outer wing panels,radome and tailplane are FS15414 The inner upper wing panels are FS36270-Haze Gray similar to RAF Medium Sea Grey The undersides are FS36440-Light Gull Gray

Edited by piggypod1

forgot to mention that Esci did a boxing of the f4 juk as well. As for the Hasegawa kit you will be able to make a an f4 juk from any J or S model maybe not the B or N as they had smaller wheels and maybe smaller bulges on top of the wings.

spainfairford2012397-1.jpg

spainfairford2012405-1.jpg

spainfairford2012501.jpg

spainfairford2012502.jpg

spainfairford2012500.jpg

over 20 yrs of buying and building Phantoms.

Hope this helps Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Like 1

I'm with George, above, don't disqualify the Monogram kit. In addition to it's other virtues it does have the correct sidewall on the aft cockpit. Oddly enough, Monogram had this correct on their 1/72 kit, but neglected it on their 1/48 kit.

Thanks again chaps

Does anyone know of a Hasegawa F-4 j that is available for sale at present, that has the intake ecm spikes in.

Think as I have the Decals the RIGHT hasegawa kit, is the way I want to go.

Thanks again for all the constructive input.

Dave

Can't help with locating a Hasegawa J, but all of the (newer tool Phantom Family) Hasegawa Tooms have the DECM fairings on the sprues irrespective of mark.

Let me know if you need any, I have a few spares....

Thanks for the positive comments chaps

Clearly could have dropped a few big one, bar asking. Seems hasegawa is the way to go, cost is not a issue, but there is a fujimi on Evilbay, but at nearly £40 it can stay there.

Having decals available I only need the right kit, clearly better kits are now available, I also wrongly presumed fujimi none spey kits, would be the same, another mistake avoided, seems a j kit, with the S underwing brace is the way to go, seems I need to scale down the 1/48 one I have, to 1/72

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Fujimi Phantoms are really 2 different families of kits: the J-79 powered ones are older and while they were the best around when first issued, they are not as good as some more recent ones. Think of them as similar to the Italeri ones but with recessed panel lines and better details. The Hasegawa kits might not be as detailed as some others from the same company, but surpass the fujimi ones anytime.

The Spey Phantoms on the other hands were much better kits with fully detailed cockpits and other improvements. They are kits that while 25 year old still old their own today.

I share others view of the Monogram kit, while it has raised panel lines it's a great kit. Fit is not in the japanese league but a very good model can be made from this

Edited by Giorgio N

Thanks, thats a massive help. if you have four two spare I'd be happy to give them a good home, (happy to barter, supply beer tokens etc ) that would mean I have them to hand, with the show season coming up now, I hope to have a chance to pick up my last few items on my wants list after boosting my bank account a little before the MK Show.

I'll PM you this message, thanks for the offer.

Dave

Dave,

Fujimi Phantoms are really 2 different families of kits: the J-79 powered ones are older and while they were the best around when first issued, they are not as good as some more recent ones. Think of them as similar to the Italeri ones but with recessed panel lines and better details. The Hasegawa kits might not be as detailed as some others from the same company, but surpass the fujimi ones anytime.

The Spey Phantoms on the other hands were much better kits with fully detailed cockpits and other improvements. They are kits that while 25 year old still old their own today.

I share others view of the Monogram kit, while it has raised panel lines it's a great kit. Fit is not in the japanese league but a very good model can be made from this

Thanks for the info

I think the Hasegawa kits suit my needs more, due to the engraved panel lines. I'm trying to avoid raised lines where possable. also with Dr Evils kind offer I can hopefully can bag a couple of cheap hasegawa kits at the show to suit my needs. a brace of J phantoms and a few Eurofighters (single and twin seaters) and another Tonado F3 is all I need now. :)

Dave

forgot to mention that Esci did a boxing of the f4 juk as well. As for the Hasegawa kit you will be able to make a an f4 juk from any J or S model maybe not the B or N as they had smaller wheels and maybe smaller bulges on top of the wings.

spainfairford2012397-1.jpg

spainfairford2012405-1.jpg

spainfairford2012501.jpg

spainfairford2012502.jpg

spainfairford2012500.jpg

over 20 yrs of buying and building Phantoms.

Hope this helps Glenn.

At one point I had 114 1/48 phantom in the loft, nice to look at, but they only really count if you build them.:)

Massive thanks to Dr. EVIL for the DECM FAIRINGS recieved this morning.

Thank you

Dave.

• 4 years later...