747-400

As I'm completing my A350 builds I'd like to start a 747-400 in 1/144 scale to model the Virgin Atlantic 747-400 I seen at Orlando Intl' a few weeks ago. If I'm correct Revell is the the only company that makes the 1/144 747-400. I've seen someone attempt to build one on another forum and it literally fell apart to pieces. What type of challenge and I facing with this kit?

Hi Tyler,

good to see you back!

The Lufthansa boxing should have the correct engines (GE CF6) for a Virgin Atlantic aircraft. The kit has a number of issues, accuracy-wise, but as you say it is more or less the only game in town (see below). Off the top of my head, the main issues are the shape of the nose (too narrow and pointy), the profile between the radome and the windscreen is a bit off and the shape of the roof above the windscreen is a bit flat. Also, I think the vertical position of the windscreen is wrong, but I can't remember just now if it's too low or too high. The angle of incidence of the wings is too shallow, with the trailing edge being too high. This also throws off the engines and pylons a bit. No doubt there are a host of other smaller issues too - the wing-body fairing comes to mind. Do a google search for the kit and you'll likely come up with some good info. (e.g.: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=225562)

I have seen fixes for some of these issues documented elsewhere, but it kind of depends how much work you want to do. It's and old kit and is very much showing it's age. Alternatives might be to kit-bash a 748 and 744 kit to get the best of each. The shape of the Revell 748 fuselage is much better, but the cabin windows are a different shape and it would obviously need shortening at the very least.

There is this as well:

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/dragon-1144-japan-government-aircraft-747-400/

but I've not been able to find out much about it and I've read that their earlier 747s were less than brilliant.

I also came across this the other day, but again I couldn't tell you anything about the origins of this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEPUYUAN-VIRGIN-ATLANTIC-B747-400-1-144-SCALE-/201045310443?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2ecf3bfbeb

I've never heard of this manufacturer before... :shrug:

How about doing a what-if Virgin 748?

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

I'm definitely glad to be back. I've been super busy with work, but now I've taken the night shift supervisor position which allows me to have every weekend off so I'll be on here more than I have in the past.

After thinking about it really hard and reviewing all that needs to be done, I will most definitely be doing a What If Virgin Atlantic 747-8.

I love the 747-400 but is a hard one to model.

The Revell 747-400 fuselage is horrible, that leaves you with the wings and engines.

I do not like the wing fairing on the Dragon kit but the shape of the nose/fuselage looks good to me.

So there is an option matting the Revell and the Dragon kits but the wing/fuselage fairing is not quite right.

I found several Zvesda 747-8 kits at a good price, so I plan on cutting back the fuselages and using

Revell wings.

If the wing fairing does not bother you much, the Dragon kit is not bad and you can use Revell engines.

Good luck!

Walter

Hahaha

I think I'm pretty set on doing a Virgin Atlantic 748 What If.

Oh please do a work in progress build feature. i'd love to see that.

I'd love to buy a few more Revell kits (or Zvezda, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...and before anyone begins to tell me they're not the same plastic, I know its just I don't like Revells windows on their 748 and there's a model shop nearby that has one reduced in price) but there's not a great choice of actual colour schemes to choose from. Their freighter version due soon will open up a few more options.

Jeff

I know that we strive for accuray but, when all's said and done, the Revell B747-400 still looks an awful lot like a B747-400 (as opposed to looking like an awful B747-400!). If you want to do the surgery, it looks fairly straighforward anyway.

I know that we strive for accuray but, when all's said and done, the Revell B747-400 still looks an awful lot like a B747-400 (as opposed to looking like an awful B747-400!). If you want to do the surgery, it looks fairly straighforward anyway.

Through squinted eyes perhaps.... :undecided:

Andrew

I have a Revell 748 in progress and I must say it's a beautiful kit with perfectly shaped nose and WBF.

gofo.jpg

Correcting the 744 wouldn't be impossible, but converting a 748 is still much easier I guess. I would not be able reshape the nose to get it as accurate as the 748 kit's nose part.

Oh please do a work in progress build feature. i'd love to see that.

I'd love to buy a few more Revell kits (or Zvezda, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...and before anyone begins to tell me they're not the same plastic, I know its just I don't like Revells windows on their 748 and there's a model shop nearby that has one reduced in price) but there's not a great choice of actual colour schemes to choose from. Their freighter version due soon will open up a few more options.

Jeff

I definitely will do a WIP thread when i build it.

As much as I'd love to have about 10 kits each of the A350,A330,A380,A320/21,737,747-400/-800,777, and 787 I just dont have the room...YET!

After talking to ray from 26Decals this build will be pushed back for at least another month until the decals I need are printed. He told me they should be back in stock in about a month; but I've been eyeing Revell's LC 39 Space Shuttle Launch Tower Kit(2 kits actually) so preparations for those kits will take up the time in between.

I think all models are grown up toys but that is my opinion.

Here is what you can do with a Dragon 747-400 toy-like model

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241285&st=0&p=2297038&hl=747-400&fromsearch=1entry2297038

Not bad at all eh?

Walter

Yes, nice job Walter. I recall following that build. I have a AF1 version of the Dragon -200 kit. I might tackle it one day painting in all the clear parts. I think it needs a few mods to bring it up to a full spec AF1 spec though.

As for building the Revell -400 into something that is presentable, I started one as a -400f conversion, It built up OK, no many fit issues. I had an earlier mould kit and I think the parts went together better. I have seen someone correct the nose with a bit of work as well as correcting the angle of incidence of the wing. I am about to start a QF 747-4 and will fix the nose but am not going to worry about the wing.

Very nice build Walter. Im not much of a accuracy guy. If I know there are issues then I'll fix them but if it's something really not noticeable then I won't stress myself over fixing it. If I looks like an airplane then i'll be more than likely happy with the outcome.

I did not build that model by the way, I wish!

I am doing one just like that, Qantas VH-OJU with the yellow boxing Kangaroo on the side.

15 hr flight from Sydney to LAX. Almost lost my mind!

I like the Dragon fuselage shape, but not too happy with the wing fairing or lack off that is.

I think I am going to use the Revell wing and modify the fairing a little.

I got a couple of Dragon kits very cheap so that I can afford making one nice 747-400

out of two kits.

Walter

I am about to start a QF 747-4 and will fix the nose but am not going to worry about the wing.

I'm looking for some QF 744 decals - where did you source yours?

I flew to Oz a few years back on the record breaking VH-OJA and would love to build it. I flew home on Wunala Dreaming and would love to build that too... I hand painted one years ago but would love to re-do it. I have decals for Nalanjii but haven't built it yet.

What QF decals are available? Current or previous scheme would suit me! I've searched but struggle to find any.

Tom