Tiddler Flys Over Forest of Sponge ;) Vulcan Duo Build XM597 XM595 Airfix & Dragon 1/72 1/200

I decided to strengthen the undercarriage. I have been messing with it that much I don't trust it not to break. I am also thinking of investing in some metal ones for the future too.. Possibly..

So I used A cotton bud.

5E71305C-115D-4D59-9F13-F3C0B95FFEFE-123

I chopped in half the strut and then superglued them in, The bore was just right and whilst it adds a bit of thickness it also looks a bit like this one.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/avro_vulcan_b2_xm606/images/avro_vulcan_b2_xm606_46_of_93.jpg

49BF476C-7CB3-4E81-9CFC-7233185C1EED-123

.... Ok so it looks a bit .. but its strong and black is a slimming colour. Most importantly right now It works.. ;)

91FF67B5-B2F4-4566-9017-490F71788ADC-123

So here it is loosely fitted. As you can see there is a step in the triangle part. but if you look at the photos its actually now in the right place. The kit fit puts it far too high. Just need to pack out the gap

E0E2B6D9-CE2D-4007-9FE1-2B0ACD2F82C4-123

Both the new stuts together. Now to sort the gap out.

.......Meanwhile....

here she is now primed with some humbrol ocean grey direct from the spray can. Next I can fill the little gaps with our good old friend mr milliput.

Then fit and paint the ECM area and were ready for the paint shop starting with the white and then a capacious masking session....

A6F26E95-2C38-4FD1-962A-E5DD6C0F04B3-123

D147E7CF-D925-4380-9387-8114141F3632-123

:bounce:

• Like 3

I'm not sure this model is big enough!

Haha yea she's quite a big delta lady but have you seen the 1/32 vacform of the vulcan ,,,, WOW I bet that model has caused a divorce or 2. Capacious indeed,, :)

This is more gripping than any TV soap!

Martin

I'm glad you think so and I would strongly agree. I hate soaps they are an experience to darken the soul !

Building these 2 vulcans side by side really shows the difference in making an old kit and a new kit. One falls together the other fights to stay apart. But I know which is more fun ;)

Cheers Rob ;)

:clap: Well done Rob, see ahead of schedule already. As for the undercarriage give it a fictitious Mod No. and claim that it was a strengthening Mod introduced by AVRO. :winkgrin:

HAHA. Well some vulcans might need it haha. I actually think it looks a bit better It certainly don't hurt its appearance too much.

Just trying to rescribe some lines that got hurt making the thing fit together. Just about to milliput her then I will sort these struts out and the Doors. After that its gonna be one hella marathon paint and decal session. I have finished the tiddler. I have started making a dio for her too.

Cheers Rob;)

• Like 1

Well i have donemy best with the seams,tons of super glue, milliput, sanding, micro meshing, filing, repeat again and again . but still slight liitle marks remain. not even milliput will do it no-matter how i apply it, wet, cotton buds, dental tool., its just wiping out .

I can live with it, real Vulcan's have blemishes. but...

I have some tip ex. now i hear others use it but in the past i had trouble painting over it . Any tips ?

I dont rate Tippex much myself though it has been OKish for me in the past :(

Small surface blemishes cry out for a fingertip of spatupon (really) Perfect Putty. Even when wet applied it dries quickly and can soon be gently sanded. Just a spot on a finger and lay it in lightly, wet'n'dry paper will whip it orf invisibly shortly afterwards

I don't rate even PP for deep applications, like you I prefer Milliput for that (just bought a new pack, it works so much nicer than my old stock M'put which I've had a couple of years) but however what you need is subtle resurfacing work.

The new struts look good enough, and on the 'table' least said is best. Most observers DONT actually see what they are looking at

I hope to see a goatee around the halls on Sunday, I'll be the old git driving a MG Midget 'spritedly' into the car park

Bloody rain, I was hoping for a roof down day :(

b

• Like 2

I dont rate Tippex much myself though it has been OKish for me in the past :(

Small surface blemishes cry out for a fingertip of spatupon (really) Perfect Putty. Even when wet applied it dries quickly and can soon be gently sanded. Just a spot on a finger and lay it in lightly, wet'n'dry paper will whip it orf invisibly shortly afterwards

I don't rate even PP for deep applications, like you I prefer Milliput for that (just bought a new pack, it works so much nicer than my old stock M'put which I've had a couple of years) but however what you need is subtle resurfacing work.

The new struts look good enough, and on the 'table' least said is best. Most observers DONT actually see what they are looking at

I hope to see a goatee around the halls on Sunday, I'll be the old git driving a MG Midget 'spritedly' into the car park

Bloody rain, I was hoping for a roof down day :(

b

Ah yes it was a gorgeous day last year at cossie. Was my first model show. I hope It does not rain.... Boo Hiss....

Yea I just tried out some tip ex., Was not impressed before I am not impressed now..... Rubbish..

Well I have managed to fit the struts. The wheels are removable. Which is good for the sake of :

1. Transport,

2, Breakage and repairs,

3 may need to refinish the beast after cossie and do more too her, Like polish her to a super high gloss, Though For now I am opting for matt or satin just for the sake of speed and also its easier to make that look good.

4.Might add metal wheels in future.

5. Even though I hear some say vulcan undercarriage are "Quite sturdy" I hear some say they collapse. Mine seems pretty stable without glue. I can set them for the show with PVA and if I want to later pop em off again.

There are a few blemishes here and there but To be honest I can live with it and considering the starting point it being the worst fitting kit I have ever made. (Not a reflection of the Airfix Vulcan build loads easy before just this particular one)

I think she is looking pretty good overall.

So what next. Well the Milliput is drying albeit only a tiny bit.

Next another go over with the grey, Then spray the white and mask it. That will be breakfast time tommoro.

Then I need to paint the wheels which I have nearly finished faffing over.. :hypnotised:

Then need to sort the gear doors, I have drilled holes so I can fit guide/mounting rods to make them replaceable.

Your right, Folks tend to only see the overall effect. Its my Vulcan Its not perfect but I love it. I always endeavor to improve and this has helped. The next one will have to be better still. I must hunt down an MPC boxing next time.

Well I think I might wrap up for the night now. Getting pretty tired now.. Hell of a day but I enjoyed it.

Cheers Rob ;):work:

• Like 1

Hi Rob

You do love a time challenge don't you !

Wonderful job on both aircraft, the need for an orbital sander on the larger one hasn't got me rushing to make it my next project however...

Can't wait to see them both finished

Cheers Pat

The question they are all asking is not "Will he finish in time for Cosford?" but "Will the model finish him before Cosford?".

Great progress though.

Martin

Hi Rob

You do love a time challenge don't you !

Wonderful job on both aircraft, the need for an orbital sander on the larger one hasn't got me rushing to make it my next project however...

Can't wait to see them both finished

Cheers Pat

Cheers Pat. Please Don't be scared off. If you look at my build on XM648 (Ok not to the same standard as this) I built it very Quick. Same with my build of XM655 (V-force GB)

However these I just build as was I did not do anything fancy with the exhausts or intakes and they fit much better than this one.

Its just this Kit Boxing which I have not bothered with much before that has issues. The late 80s dark coloured box with the photo of the actual model on is the best, along with the early 90s ones that have a white border and a painting of XH558 going into a Power climb. This boxing is .... hmm well not brill) I have build many of the latest release Red box kit and they are usually pretty good. I think Hornby turned the pressure up on the old molds or something..

Look forward to your build :wicked:

The question they are all asking is not "Will he finish in time for Cosford?" but "Will the model finish him before Cosford?".

Great progress though.

Martin

HAHA yes thats true. Maybe I will change the title name to that in a min lol.

Cheers Rob ;)

Loving them Rob; that's the Vulcans and the thread - I've only been getting my modelling fix vicariously through this for the last few weeks so I'll be a bit sad when its over :(

I'm not actually sure which I like best - the Vulcans or the thread itself.....Either way - make sure you start another WIP asap.

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Loving them Rob; that's the Vulcans and the thread - I've only been getting my modelling fix vicariously through this for the last few weeks so I'll be a bit sad when its over :(

I'm not actually sure which I like best - the Vulcans or the thread itself.....Either way - make sure you start another WIP asap.

Steve

Well its great to know you and others are enjoying it. BM can be quiet sometimes it seems. But for me I do this beacuse

1, Its good to make the modelling sociable,

2 its a fun record of what I did,

3, helps others hopefully,

4 I learn stuff,

5 I hope it is entertaining for others and like them to join in. Makes it more fun for me too then.

If I was doing it just for myself I know it would not have got much further than page 2 by now.. So yay for Britmodeller.

I have been Enjoying your builds too mate. Amazing work.

I will start a WIP soon Mind you I have a few. Well quite alot of stalled builds to get on with, Tamiya Spit, Another 3 Small Vulcans 2 are being modded to B1s The other B2 XL426,

Then there is the Whiff Avro Azrael and the rest of the shelf off doom.

Perhaps for my next WIP It might be fun to round up some kits I fancy making and let you guys vote on which I start. There Is plenty to choose from. I think I need an easy build after this. I am tempted by my Tamiya Buccaneer.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

I think I need an easy build after this.

Naah. Might be easy for you - but might be less fun for the rest of us. Get an awful kit. Play about with it. Get exasperated. Conquer it. And all the while write about it in your own inimitable style. :) That's what we want..........

• Like 1

Naah. Might be easy for you - but might be less fun for the rest of us. Get an awful kit. Play about with it. Get exasperated. Conquer it. And all the while write about it in your own inimitable style. :) That's what we want..........

Ah I see your point there.. "Oh another shake 'n bake ... seen it before ... yawn.,,,"

Ok recommend some " A P P P PAULING ! " Bits of plastic.

Suggestions. I have never done a Vac form and fancy ago at the welsh V bombers. I have not yet done resin and if I do I want one made of robust resin. But please don't suggest the Mach 2 Valiant !! After seeing Mikes build I think I am truly put off.

I may well have a few dogs on the stash and some obscure stuff too such as Frog Vulcans, Kader Victor and Valiant. A placsticart Comet 4B and not so obscure the South eastern Bristol Britannia.

The worst kit I have to make that is really distorted I have another stalled thread for, The Aeroclub Venom FB4.. Fuselage halves are turning away from each other.

Cheers Rob ;)

And all the while write about it in your own inimitable style. :) That's what we want..........

I Didn't realize I had a style. As a dyslexic I do my best. You might find the odd spelling grammar issue but as i said to my teach as a kid. " miss if you know what I meant to say, Then I communicated effectively " ,, Got detention for that :book:

• Like 3

Morning Rob, I hope that you have had a good nights rest and that you are fit and ready for the final push today. I will be looking in from time to time and cracking the whip where needed. So up and at 'em boy time to go over the top. :whip:

Perhaps for my next WIP It might be fun to round up some kits I fancy making and let you guys vote on which I start. There Is plenty to choose from. I think I need an easy build after this. I am tempted by my Tamiya Buccaneer.

Cheers Rob ;)

Make sure that you include the Canberra you have been threatening us with, :wicked: but I must admit that little Buccaneer would be good to see.

• Like 1

Morning Rob, I hope that you have had a good nights rest and that you are fit and ready for the final push today. I will be looking in from time to time and cracking the whip where needed. So up and at 'em boy time to go over the top. :whip:

Make sure that you include the Canberra you have been threatening us with, :wicked: but I must admit that little Buccaneer would be good to see.

Hi mate and good morning to you good Sir, Yes I had about 5 hours and now I have started painting her, The first application of white is drying. The wheels are being primed, I just Hope I will get it done. If it means I only have a few hours sleep and survive of caffeine like I did last year when apparently I looked like a Zombie. (Not good when I was meeting people off here for the first time, Cliff B, Canberra Kid, General Melchett, I looked rough as I was ill too)

This year I might need something stronger to get me through.. (Only Joking Acetone is good enough for me ,,Ahhhhhh)

Right Update time.

Wheels have are being given a coat of Humbrol Matt 64 as a gripper base for the black and silver.

F22CB63D-ECDF-489E-8A2C-F124D625B42B-245

1st application of HU34 Matt white direct from the Can. This is a misted coat and gives amazing Coverage this is the best paint I have ever used.

852A5C23-B4C7-4119-806A-DCD1D27DD933-245

The ECM plate has a coat of Hu106 Ocean grey again from the can so that it will match the tone of the aircraft when the white goes on. That said this may end up being silver.

2B51FD93-AA1C-41BA-96EC-EC8EF7D3AEC2-245

More White on the beast.

Then its masking time. That will be the longest part of today's work.. Along with brushing on the Green,. I bought a special BIG brush for this. Then blue tak.

:) Cheers Rob

• Like 3

It goes on like this which is nice but When dry this stuff levels out and bites into the plastic. Its great to prime with and brush over with Acrylic with W&N Flow improver added.

Sticks like :shit: to a blanket.

D27F8C15-87FE-468B-B163-523B56E77D1C-245

7FCFAD98-D234-4A13-A545-8BA44A15589C-245

For anyone looking for a good white Humbrol spray cans are the way to go. And they do matt, satin and gloss, I stick to matt and satin. I find them more user friendly.

I feel reassured now I am getting my fix from the smell of paint. Its the painting stage I like the most.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Looking good. Great progress in such a short space of time. Good luck - hope you get it finished in time.

Thanks. Still at it now. Just letting paint dry. As Martin Hale said. "will it finish me" LOL ;)

• Like 1

You're doing well and will be graded later ! Ha...good job fella, but to be honest to get all that camo masked and done, plus decalling and top varnish by tonight is a huge ask !....unless insomnia is the order of the day.

For anyone looking for a good white Humbrol spray cans are the way to go. And they do matt, satin and gloss,

To be honest Rob Halfords is great stuff, the primer can be micromeshed down to super silky smooth and the appliance white is a joy to behold..it's the only stuff I use for glossy white finishes. (The trick is to spray it on fairly thickly to avoid orange peel though not too thickly so as to get the dreaded 'sag' and then put it in a very warm place quickly, I put them on a rotating stand in front of a convection heater, at a safe distance of course......dries as hard as nails)

See you tomorrow ,

Melch

(btw I've given up on getting the Victor done by tomorrow as the gloss blue's still tacky and I aint going to rush the blighter at this stage....so don't feel too bad if it proves a bit much )

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

You're doing well and will be graded later ! Ha...good job fella, but to be honest to get all that camo masked and done, plus decalling and top varnish by tonight is a huge ask !....unless insomnia is the order of the day.

To be honest Rob Halfords is great stuff, the primer can be micromeshed down to super silky smooth and the appliance white is a joy to behold..it's the only stuff I use for glossy white finishes. (The trick is to spray it on fairly thickly to avoid orange peel though not too thickly so as to get the dreaded 'sag' and then put it in a very warm place quickly, I put them on a rotating stand in front of a convection heater, at a safe distance of course......dries as hard as nails)

See you tomorrow ,

Melch

(btw I've given up on getting the Victor done by tomorrow as the gloss blue's still tacky and I aint going to rush the blighter at this stage....so don't feel too bad if it proves a bit much )

I must give halfords a try again but after a bad expiriance with their paints in 2005 I have never touched it since. However I hear those problems are irradiated now.

The Humbrol stuff I still say try if you have not. (It used to be rubbish in the 90s I remember that, Runs , Weak pigments etc..) But the new stuff never orange peels, never sags, never runs, (unless your painting at point blank, very hard to make it run) The colour density is amazing, It levels out, Becomes part of the plastic and nearly impossible to scratch off.

Its a shame your abandoning the Victor but your right not to rush it. Especially if the paint is tacky. Mine is drying pretty quick. I look forward to seeing it done when its done. The level of mods on that thing is nuts.

You should bring your Airfix Vulcan the Blue steel 60s camo one.

Can't wait for the show.... Actually I can I hope it takes ages to get to tomorrow morning... I need the time. ;)

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1