P 47 D paint query.

Spookytooth

I am going to build a P 47 D for a group build and was wondering about the internal colours?

I have found one of the colours fs34151.

This is German camo bright green in the Vallejo range

But the other colour stated is fs 3348 which I cannot find.

The 3348 is for the engine cowling and wheel bays etc, any pointers to which colour please.

Thank you

Simon.

You would be safe with standard US Interior Green that Xtracolor/crylics do. Burt the P-47 was also built by other contractors and a different green was used. One colour was very much like the old Humbrol deck green. But its worth checking if you want to be accurate.

The 3348 indicated should be FS 33481, the federal standard equivalent usually given for the yellow zinc chromate primer. This is available from several paint manufacturers, for example Humbrol 81 represents this colour

The 3348 indicated should be FS 33481, the federal standard equivalent usually given for the yellow zinc chromate primer. This is available from several paint manufacturers, for example Humbrol 81 represents this colour

Thank you Giorgio, the Academy destruction sheet must of been mis-printed.

FS 33481 comes out as pale yellow or Japan Uniform WW2 which is about right.

Simon.

Not ZCY for the interior of the cowlings.

I asked Nigel Julian about this some time ago (when I built a P-47 model) and was informed that factory instructions called for the interior of the cowlings, and firewall, to be left unpainted. The aluminium was anodised giving a dull grey appearance.

Cheers

Steve

Simon, As I've always understood it...U. S. WW II era interior primer was Zinc Chromate ( bilouos yellow in colour - 33481). This description is more to the material than to any colour. The authorities could not inflict this on the crews eyes so the simple expediant was to add a bit of black to the material so as to present a more comfortable colour ( interior Green - 34151). This was applied to cockpits and in the case of bombers, patrol planes etc. the fuselage interiors as well. I hope this helps. All the best, Mikey

Nigel posted a picture of the inside of one of the unrestored cowling panels off, I think, 'Dottie Mae' somewhere on his 'P-47 Heaven' SIG but I'm b*ggered if I can find it :)

It was definitely aluminium, not ZCY. Maybe he'll see this and drop in.

Cheers

Steve

You would be safe with standard US Interior Green that Xtracolor/crylics do. Burt the P-47 was also built by other contractors and a different green was used. One colour was very much like the old Humbrol deck green. But its worth checking if you want to be accurate.

I believe the only P-47s with Interior Green (approximately 34151) cockpits were those manufactured by Curtiss. The Republic-built planes had cockpits painted in a light version of Dull Dark Green, a much bluer shade than IG. 34092 Euro Green is pretty close. If you have access to the Detail & Scale book, it's got some color cockpit photos that show the shade very clearly.

Cheers,

Pip

p.s. I emended my post based on 72modeler's below, but I think we're saying the same thing.

Edited by Seawinder

I'm not a P-47 expert, but I believe Republic-built P-47's used dull dark green, FS34092 for the interiors. Curtiss-built Jugs used interior green for the cockpit, FS 34151. Wheel bays, doors, and cowling interiors were yellow zinc chromate on the airplanes built by both companies. European Dark Green is a very close match for dull dark green. There is a very informative Dana Bell article regarding U.S. interiors/primers on the IPMS Stockholm website that I have posted a link to below.Hope this helps!

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm