Crimea news report images

SeanM

Lets hope things don't escalate out of control over there but from a modelling point of view some nice clips of BTRs and Tigers in the news reports. So, keeping the politics out of it, what other good hardware references have you seen?

Ukraine_APC_2838978a.jpg

I have to admit I've been focused on the ground vehicles, especially the Tiger as the Meng is on my "must get" list and has now moved to "must get soon"

From CNN

140301221121-06-ukraine-0301-horizontal-

140301093744-ukraine-russia-02-horizonta

Can anyone identify these tanks?

140228190824-tnaks-in-sevastopol-horizon

In that last pic, it looks like the van had to make a quick diversion/stop going by the fresh tracks and soil on to the road! Might it have been carrying the press??

Is it me or does the Russian Army now look very 'Americanized'...

Not to me, but I live almost literally next door to a US Army Reserve/National Guard base.

In that last pic, it looks like the van had to make a quick diversion/stop going by the fresh tracks and soil on to the road! Might it have been carrying the press??

Don't think those tracks were made by the van

These are not tanks. They are 2S1 Gvosdika 122 mm Self Propelled Howitzers.

"сау 2с1 гвоздика" I think

2C1 "Gvozdika" self-propelled gun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S1_Gvozdika

OK, tanks, I mean thanks.

They have tracks, big guns and what looks lite a turret, just far back, so I used "tanks" in the general sense....

Is it me or does the Russian Army now look very 'Americanized'...

Distinct lack of sunglasses! and earlier this morning there was a report from inside a Ukranian base and some of the men were wearing what looked

like British style kevlar helmets with the old style desert camo covers,a very strange situation as I would imagine a lot of senior Ukranian military would

have served in Afghanistan.

I was chatting to one of my friends who is very heavily into AFV's and he pointed out that some of the 'soldiers' are carrying AN-94's with the underslung grenade launchers (a weapon only used by the Spetsnaz)

I was chatting to one of my friends who is very heavily into AFV's and he pointed out that some of the 'soldiers' are carrying AN-94's with the underslung grenade launchers (a weapon only used by the Spetsnaz)

Well, Spetsnatz are soldiers, too, just very special ones.

For my own part I noted that one of the men in the top photo of post #7 appears to have a suppressed weapon.

Distinct lack of sunglasses! and earlier this morning there was a report from inside a Ukranian base and some of the men were wearing what looked

like British style kevlar helmets with the old style desert camo covers,a very strange situation as I would imagine a lot of senior Ukranian military would

have served in Afghanistan.

I know some where in the IFOR force in Bosnia when my Dad was there,

Julien

Well, Spetsnatz are soldiers, too, just very special ones.

For my own part I noted that one of the men in the top photo of post #7 appears to have a suppressed weapon.

I too noticed a few of the weapons in that photo have suppressors. Looks like someone is thinking there may be a bit of street fighting looming and doesn't want to give up their firing posistion. What is strange, is they are add ons and not dedicated suppressed weapons like the Vintorez or VSK-94.

Modelling related, will all this mean Roden kits will be affected?

In the Eduard Info from this month, Mr Sulc said that they had a close relationship with Roden, and that there was at one time some plans to rebox some of Roden WW1 kits à la Eduard, in limited edition for the centenary.

But those plans are left aside for the moment, so yes, Roden is affected.

The the mud goes under the van, and out either side of the rear wheel in the lower left of the photo.

Yes. I see them now after a closer look.