MkIIc "Buccaneer" Hurricane 11 Squadron SEAC Burma

Winenut,

I always do my exhaust staining with pastel dust and a stiff brush. A mix of grey and brown dust in long strokes in the direction of the airflow works well as long as you don't overdo it.

For rusted exhausts I've been trying a mix of black, copper and gold with drybrushing and earth pastel dust again with varied results tbh.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Winenut,

I always do my exhaust staining with pastel dust and a stiff brush. A mix of grey and brown dust in long strokes in the direction of the airflow works well as long as you don't overdo it.

For rusted exhausts I've been trying a mix of black, copper and gold with drybrushing and earth pastel dust again with varied results tbh.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Thanks woolven. Shoey got some tips from a source and I appreciate your thoughts and will throw it in the mix as we both try and get these two builds to the finish line.

I've not done exhaust stains before so really appreciate post.

We're getting there. I've got some experiments I need to work on for gloss coats and weathering plus some decals to do with Shoey and then matt coats and fiddly bits.

Shoeys version is looking amazing ......a brilliant tribute to his Grandfather

cheers

Cant believe I only just found this thread, both Hurricanes are looking impressive, a great build idea too. Will be keeping mu eye on this one from now on! :popcorn:

Welcome aboard Justin!....cheers

Hey woolven hows the guitar lessons going?

Funny fact on this thread......Shoey is a guitarist and a damn good one and when we don't upset the wives mucking around with airplanes we get together musically.

Shoey plays the axe and I play drums ....with another mate providing the vocals!

Too much fun.

• Like 1

Hey woolven hows the guitar lessons going?

Funny fact on this thread......Shoey is a guitarist and a damn good one and when we don't upset the wives mucking around with airplanes we get together musically.

Shoey plays the axe and I play drums ....with another mate providing the vocals!

Too much fun.

You are too kind winenut! Being able to play 3 chords hardly classes me as a good guitarist!!!! but we do have lots of fun though...and maybe too much to drink.... and maybe upset the wives from time to time!! Winenut on the other hand is an AWESOME drummer having played in a band that performed at Australia's Big Day Out festival ... no small feat.

• Like 1

The lessons are going well thanks. I bought my first guitar about 4 years ago but never got far enough with messing around with it to be able to actually say I can play anything on it.

A lot of the messing around seems to have helped though and is coming back to me fairly quickly. Lesson number three tomorrow. Gulp.

Sounds like you guys are having fun. Good luck with the exhaust stains. Look forward to seeing the results.

Richard

Just found this build today,amazing!and I thought I was mad about Hurricanes,this is insanely good!!!!!!!

Ha Ha! Knew you would find us eventually Steve....enjoy :winkgrin:

Nearing the end of the build now.... A big thanks to John Morgan from RC Groups who kindly gave me some very handy tips on exhaust weathering and exhaust stains, as well as information on matte finishes. I have pretty much followed his advice on what i have done. I had already sprayed the exhaust a metal type colour, so the next step was to use brown and randomly spray an uneven pattern that would still let some of the metal colour show through, then do the same with black, but much much lighter. For the exhaust stain i just used the matt black (actually gun metal as this is slightly gray and has a nice dull effect) and used the air brush with a fine needle (0.3mm) and sprayed very thinly.

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

I also made the top of the seat and painted that the interior cockpit green colour and fitted that through a slit in the false floor. Also i made up a gun sight out of random spare parts i had - as this sits above the dash and clearly visible on the real plane from the outside i thought i have to put this detail in. Its a bit rough, but does the job.

IMG_0629.JPG

I went to the local Art supply place here in Adelaide and looked at what they had in matte finishes. They had a product called Crystal Kote by Helmar in a rattle can, but i decided on a Poly urethane matte vanish that is designed for indoor and outdoor and provides more protection for the paint than the rattle can. I think it will be similar to the floor polish/wax you can get at the hardware store, but they come in only Satin and Gloss. I sprayed a bit on the underside and it worked a treat - didnt change the colour much, but provides a matte surface which covers the paint and weathering.

Matte%2520varnish.JPG
  • Like 2

Looks brilliant Shoey. I'm way behind hopefully I can catch up a bit.

When you're done see if you can post some then and now pics from the sea grey - green version to Ron's Hurribomber now.....that would great!

Some more minor finishing details completed... installed the instrument panel and gun sight, then attached the canopy. Im not very happy with the overall look of the canopy as the rails are too wide, and the angle the canopy sits is way off in regard to the fuselage. Main reason for this is the turtle deck behind the canopy is sloping down - i may just have to build another hurri to sort that one out!

I also painted some black / gray on the wing fairing and where the canopy slide would have been. I was in a bit of o hurry to get all this done as i have my grandfather coming over tomorrow for lunch so was quite keen to get most of it finished to show him - might get some pics of him and his hurri!

Overall, the only improvements i would have made to the build would have been to glass the front fuselage to make the wing fairings nicer, and to improve the canopy area. Other than that i'm pretty happy with how it is looking - there is always room for improvement.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG
  • Like 1

Ok, so i was so appalled at how the canopy angle was so wrong on the photos that i went down to the shed, prized the canopy off, then cut a good 3 to 4 mm off the front of the canopy frame to get that sitting down a bit further, then reglued it back on - need to do a bit of filling and touchup painting, but MUCH happier now.... still not perfect, but much better

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

• Like 2

That, my friend, is just amazing. Brilliant work.

Richard

Thanks Richard, much appreciated mate!

Papa came over for lunch today, so we had a bit of a photo shoot with myself and him with the Hurri. He was suitably impressed with the detail of the Hurri. Winenut also popped over from next door to meet my grandfather and show him his little 1/72 scale Hurri nearly completed and he thought that was great too!

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

• Like 3

That is looking fantastic and they are lovely photos of Shoey, Ron and the Hurricane. Looking forward to see how Winenut's version is progressing as well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That is looking fantastic and they are lovely photos of Shoey, Ron and the Hurricane. Looking forward to see how Winenut's version is progressing as well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Ha ha! Ask and you shall receive!

After a pretty big mother's day with 4 generations at both Shoey's and my house I have recovered on a quiet Monday night and added some hand painting elements. I like hand painting but understand you can't get the same finish as you can with the airbrush. But!......It is very quiet, less intrusive, less chemicals, very comfortable (inside not in the shed) and I enjoy it. In fact I'm thinking for a future WIP I'm going to do a pure hand paint and see how it goes.

Anyway I got onto the fiddly bits including the cannons, and tidied up a bit. Here's some pics.

Here's the tail wheel waiting for the metallic to dry before the tyre gets done

10269559_287858981375900_744156277880740

Here's the cannons in place with some colour on the stubs and barrels. The damn micro photography has showed up the mould lines on the stubs....so probably some sanding and repainting required! ha ha..."such is life"...to quote an infamous Australian.

Stubs will eventually be camo coloured upper and lower the RAAF Blue with gunmetal for the barrels. Exhaust is gunmetal plus weathering in various washes and whatever I managed to come up with!

10365879_287858978042567_661546492347008

Fiddly bits look okay...stuffed up a previous prop so this is version number two with tips sprayed yellow to be followed by a masking and then black (first time I've done it in that order...ever) Wheels look nice I think. Spinner etc looks a bit stark in white and has some imperfections in the micro photography but I'll do my best to fix them up.

here's a few fiddly bits

10338725_287858928042572_464060049407115

Here's how she's looking so far....

10303300_287859024709229_896959670445656

Need to pinch Shoey's White Ensign RAAF Sky Blue paint then I can fix the underside and spray a gloss ready for some panel line washes. Made some enquiries to try and get some 1/72 SEAC decals, roundels, fin flashes for Hurri's Spit's anything in Burma/India in about 1944 and hoping to get some aftermarket stuff soon.

Thanks heaps for looking

Cheers

Winenut

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 3

Great stuff!! Thank you for the update - it's looking good. I only paint without an airbrush and I have been taught by others on here that the best way for larger areas is to build up thin coats of paint with a flat brush. I use acrylic paints and only use water for thinners. Seems to be okay so far on my 1/72 planes - not airbrush standard but I'm happy with the results. I'm going to try it on my 1/48 project next - so fingers crossed.

Keep up the good work with the Hurricanes!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Stix,

You're a man after my own heart. It was your spitfire that led me to try pre-shading with a hairy stick and I'm very grateful that you did. The results so far have exceeded my expectations by some considerable margin, so in that regard consider your work something of an inspiration.

Winenut, that's looking excellent. You're making some excellent progress and I can't wait for further updates and to see the two birds together.

Richard

• Like 2

Righto!

Shoey kindly passed the last surviving tinlet of the correct sky blue over the fence tonight so I'm ready to press on. Thanks Shoey!

Once I tidy up the underside it will be gloss coats and decals and hopefully a good grimey Burma wash.

I'm picking up some decals from Craig at Aeroworks on Saturday morning which will hopefully work out and go with a few I think I can print myself to complete Ron's Buccanneer.

Guaranteed I'll go to Aeroworks on the premise of buying a $14 decal sheet and end up spending $150 on a heap of cool stuff I find in Craig's shop!

Damn I love this hobby :guitar:

Anyway not much to show but here's a pic of the progress with Shoey's paint and a few of the fiddly bits ready to go.

Chocks away!

10289843_288582967970168_177635172438780

Note the unmasked cannon on the right is the damn one I broke off in the process and have had to glue back on.........hope it's straight!

• Like 3

Finally finished the "re-finishing"!!

3 coats of WBPU matte coat applied with a spray gun which worked a treat. Here is the before and after shots. I will post some more photos and video once i remaiden. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions along the way - it has definitely spurred me on!

Before...

IMG_0242.JPG

After...

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG
  • Like 5

How incredible is Shoey's scale RC version?!

Looks awesome chief.

I've managed to get my midget scale up to some kind of standard so I'll post these photos before Shoey and I get together and post the final pics of the two planes together.

Best project I've been involved with..

Here's some pics of the midget ....I've only just finished so the lighting is bad but Shoey and I will post some combined ones to finish soon

Here's some early shots with gloss and the bucaneeer

Cheers

10358127_290349534460178_240555987918880

here's some more after cracking on and adding the scariest "sludge" of my life!

Thanks for the tip Shoey ;0)

10173805_290349591126839_216111853682301

Here's the underside before a bit more cleaning up...

10356367_290349607793504_729120447131876

Here's something like the final bird

1424374_290343677794097_7221857193714229

10294254_290343731127425_757438475988915

10366305_290343791127419_280783675870776

We'll post some more combined photos soon with two very different scale Hurribombers!

Despite being two different scale versions (not only that but one actually flies!!!!) we hope that both are respectful and accurate versions of Ron's "Buccaneer" and tell his story.

Final photos to come from both of us very very soon :guitar:

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 1