MkIIc "Buccaneer" Hurricane 11 Squadron SEAC Burma

Tonight i got some more scale detail done on the Hurri. I burnt the large rivets on the fuse with brass tube attached to the soldering iron... maybe they are a bit big but they will be less conspicuous once painted.

IMG_0570.JPG

I burnt some more of the larger rivet detail on the upper surface of the wing too - i just used the tip of the soldering iron for these, and they worked out really well.

IMG_0568.JPG

I added a dummy navigation light on the rudder above the trim adjustment surface and redesigned the aerial so its a bit sleaker and it has a plastic flange at the bottom which is moulded to the top surface of the fuse (the real one has this too). It is all removable for transport.

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

Just waiting on the paint to arrive now....

Pulling some late nights there Shoey :winkgrin:

What's the paint? Is it something special for the scale and RC??

Winenut, trying to keep up with your hours :sleep_1:

Paint came in today... sky blue, dark earth and dark green. Went for sky blue as it appears a likely match to the hurricane photo (as per the other 11 squadron thread i started). Might get some preshading done in the next few days once i finish all the other little bits and clean up the shed!

IMG_0572.JPG

Looks Great!

So I got it wrong on the underside??? The sea grey should be sky blue??

If you think that's the one I'll respray the underside. I haven't masked up yet so I can do something now luckily!

Your dark earth and dark green look same as mine so at least I got that.

I am a bit surprised though by the blue. BUT!...it'll look great and if that's what Ron's was back then........ then that's what Ron's gets now ;)

Cheers!

Looks Great!

So I got it wrong on the underside??? The sea grey should be sky blue??

If you think that's the one I'll respray the underside. I haven't masked up yet so I can do something now luckily!

Your dark earth and dark green look same as mine so at least I got that.

I am a bit surprised though by the blue. BUT!...it'll look great and if that's what Ron's was back then........ then that's what Ron's gets now ;)

Cheers!

Winenut,

I very much doubt there is a right and a wrong, as we will never know for sure what the colour was underneath. Nick Millman in the 11 squadron thread did some analysis which showed a good match to sky blue, but some others on the forum think it would more have likely been MSG!! I personally like the sky blue better than the grey anyway, and there is enough evidence saying that it COULD be that colour. I have plenty of sky blue and apparently white ensign models is one of the few that do a sky blue which is pretty close to the real deal. A lot of the others have a green tinge. Feel freee to grab a tin at some stage, or if you want to keep MSG that is cool too. It would be rather good to see both versions painted the same though!!

Looking absolutely gorgeous. Love the prop and spinner.

Thanks Trot5ky!

The decals have come out really nicely - the great thing about them is they are vinyl CUT decals, so each piece looks like it has been painted on without the clear film around the artwork. The call numbers and rego should come out really nice as will the nose art which i'm waiting on the revised version!

Cant wait!

Winenut,

I very much doubt there is a right and a wrong, as we will never know for sure what the colour was underneath. Nick Millman in the 11 squadron thread did some analysis which showed a good match to sky blue, but some others on the forum think it would more have likely been MSG!! I personally like the sky blue better than the grey anyway, and there is enough evidence saying that it COULD be that colour. I have plenty of sky blue and apparently white ensign models is one of the few that do a sky blue which is pretty close to the real deal. A lot of the others have a green tinge. Feel freee to grab a tin at some stage, or if you want to keep MSG that is cool too. It would be rather good to see both versions painted the same though!!

Mate ...I've already planned to respray the MSG to the blue......my midget version of Ron's Hurri and your full flying version have to be the same!!!

I'd love to pinch your underside paint .......save me trying to match a Humbrol.

Are yours enamel or acrylic and can they be thinned and suitable for my midget scale do you reckon?

Should catch up over the weekend to check where we are both at?

That's code for let's talk crap about planes and have a beer and a red :fool:

Mate ...I've already planned to respray the MSG to the blue......my midget version of Ron's Hurri and your full flying version have to be the same!!!

I'd love to pinch your underside paint .......save me trying to match a Humbrol.

Are yours enamel or acrylic and can they be thinned and suitable for my midget scale do you reckon?

Should catch up over the weekend to check where we are both at?

That's code for let's talk crap about planes and have a beer and a red :fool:

sounds like a plan! Now that we are pretty much at the same stage now in weathering and finishing we should be able to go through the same processes together! I have just been going hard to get all the preparation stuff done so we can move on to the fun stuff!

The paint is normal enamel model paint - thinned as usual. I have bought a 2 way airbrush from hobby king for 20 od dollars for the finer stuff - interesting to see how it goes!!!

Been doing a fair bit more research on the "Buccaneer" and some more work on the model as well. I have had Callie change the Buccaneer nose art to show the detail from the British Honduras coat of arms, as well as printing of some new aircraft letters and numbers. The LD859 that my grandfather flew mostly toward the end of 1944 did probably not carry the Buccaneer nose art as he left that plane after he became a squadron leader and moved onto the "V" aircraft. The first plane he flew on a sortie was "Z" KW 125 and that definitely was the Buccaneer, so that is the plane I am doing now.

I decided to go all out and reproduce all the rivet detail on the plane, so I drew up all the lines and used a "drawing up" syringe and some PVA wood glue to lay down thousands of rivets! it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the results are really good - very subtle but effective. I plan on doing the other wing half tonight. Here are some photos of the progress, and of winenut who is doing the 1/72 scale "Buccaneer"!!

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

revised%2520buccaneer.JPG
  • Like 2

That rivet detail looks brilliant!!!

Well done.

That technique works really well on the scale.

Look forward to more.

Cheers!

Thanks Nut! Will look better once primed and its all the same colour.

Heard the compressor running tonight.... where are your photos?!!

This is just a quick snap.

The underside colour that has been settled on is an RAAF Sky Blue and I've managed to get some over the top of my original Medium Sea Grey. In this photo it looks super blue but in fact it is the most amazing pale blue I've ever seen. Lovely finish too. I took the opportunity to tidy up some putty and re-scribe some lines so that was cool.

Shoey is spraying the underside of his incredible flying version tonight so hopefully will get a photo or two up over the Easter break. In the meantime this is just my underside. At least with this done I can push on with some masking and upper surface colours.

Cant wait.

Cheers

10172640_279921215503010_914007995842828

Sorry photo looks crappy but I'll definitely get some more up over Easter.

Cheers

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 1

Not sure anyone really wants to see photos of your underside mate!

Both projects are looking good (as is your Spad).

What brand is the paint you've used? The whole sky blue thing is a saga, isn't it? I've a Tamiya Sky Blue that is dead-set pale green - it's a lovely colour, but not even close to blue (but, reading some of the online arguments, is probably correct), so I tend to go with very pale blue as a rule. I do have a Seafire somewhere about the place that I bought the Tamiya for, and I will use it for that. To be honest, I sometimes go completely off the rez if I like a particular colour or scheme, and accuracy be damned! Not an option for you here, I know.

In the interests of disclosure, I'm colour blind, which makes colour selection a challenge at the best of times. I've - apparently, because they look perfectly fine to me - come up with some interesting stuff at times. I generally check things with my wife nowadays. Of course, the preponderance of olive/brown/drab and shades thereof makes it even harder for me. Modern jets would be easier, but they're not really my thing. Says the guy who will be posting a MiG 21 when he gets around to taking photos.

• Like 1

Made some more progress on the finishing - preshaded both surfaces of the wing, then painted the undersurface sky blue - perfect amount of preshading showing through after the last coat.

Painted the cannons Testors "gunmetal" colour with the airbrush and they came up really well.

After painting the radiator with the sky blue, i tested the Feast Watson Gloss floor polish undiluted through the airbrush and really happy with the results. I will do this over the whole plane to aid in a "sludge wash" weathering effect.

Next job is to mask the undersurface and start with the upper camo

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

Not sure anyone really wants to see photos of your underside mate!

Both projects are looking good (as is your Spad).

What brand is the paint you've used? The whole sky blue thing is a saga, isn't it? I've a Tamiya Sky Blue that is dead-set pale green - it's a lovely colour, but not even close to blue (but, reading some of the online arguments, is probably correct), so I tend to go with very pale blue as a rule. I do have a Seafire somewhere about the place that I bought the Tamiya for, and I will use it for that. To be honest, I sometimes go completely off the rez if I like a particular colour or scheme, and accuracy be damned! Not an option for you here, I know.

In the interests of disclosure, I'm colour blind, which makes colour selection a challenge at the best of times. I've - apparently, because they look perfectly fine to me - come up with some interesting stuff at times. I generally check things with my wife nowadays. Of course, the preponderance of olive/brown/drab and shades thereof makes it even harder for me. Modern jets would be easier, but they're not really my thing. Says the guy who will be posting a MiG 21 when he gets around to taking photos.

Hey JS1.

Shoey researched and purchased some White Ensign enamels. He got them online....I'd never heard of them. There's a photo of three tinlets on page 3 of the post. The RAAF sky Blue is just that....a perfect pale blue and not a hint of green. So it looks absolutely smashing.

Edited by Winenut

Where was the airfield in Burma?

11 squadron were primarily for army support so flew from frontline jungle strips most if the time. In the early stages their strip was surrounded by the Japanese and referred to as "the box". From memory this was Ramu. Other strips they flew from were Tulihal, Tamu, Imphal. The only supplies they got were from the air by DC3 Dakota's as there was no land supply line. Quite often in bad weather they would land at other jungle strips and be stuck there for days until the weather lifted.

• Like 1

Since I screwed up and sanded off what I thought was flash right at the front of the engine cowling I've decided to have a crack at fixing it back up.

I saw VincentM run a thin seam on a 1:72 Roden Albatross using some stretched sprue and thought the technique might work for me (despite a serious lack of any technical ability!)

I had a MkIIc Sea Hurricane (which is essentially the same Revell kit) and used that as a guide to what it should all look like

Here we go.....

Before the pics can I just say thanks to VincentM who posted the technique and is doing an incredible job on a super detailed WWI Albatross in the Aircraft WIP..do yourself a favour and check it out.

Chocks away.

This is what it looked like clean (courtesy of the same MkIIc from Revell in a Sea Hurricane version) See the obvious lip around the front of the cowling

10292535_281803488648116_786030045156162

Here's mine sadly after sanding off the lip thinking it was flash!!!! :weep:

10246767_281803628648102_573725855542507

Here's a few bit's of stretched sprue I thought would be okay to work with.

I need to sand them a bit to remove their "roundness" and try and get them a bit sharper

10300024_281803755314756_617904714284561

Ended up choosing one and applying glue and "wrapping" it around.

Here's the halfway mark with sprue still attached

10301415_281803791981419_372378752711122

Here's a bit of a tidy up

10277888_281803951981403_796331118541219

With some white putty and sanding ..... I think it just might be okay.

1897917_281804631981335_5550184146492924

I was really happy to add that element back in as I think it is quite distinctive of the MkIIc Hurri.

From the front it looks a little rough but this will all disappear with some paint and the spinner finally in place.

Thanks for looking and big thanks to VincentM for posting the fix idea on his Albatross thread.

Cheers!

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 1

Great recovery, mate. Looking good.

Love the spad too. Keep up the good work. I'm losing my mojo at the moment so well done for keeping the momentum going with this build.

Richard

Edited by rwoolven76
  • Like 1

Great recovery, mate. Looking good.

Love the spad too. Keep up the good work. I'm losing my mojo at the moment so well done for keeping the momentum going with this build.

Richard

Thanks for the encouragement and comments Richard....it means a lot. Mojo never ever disappears completely chief so I'm looking forward to your next effort getting posted....rock on :guitar:

• Like 1