Matt varnish (airbrushable) - recommendations please?

Rob 1

This is becoming a major issue, much of my modelling is being ruined through an inability to get a reliable working matt varnish.

I've tried Microscale and Vallejo, and after airbrushing on, both seem to dry as an almost gloss finish! requiring a full repaint on a couple of occasions now. I used to use Humbrol spray cans, they almost work but have a habit of leaving a white residue.

Any suggestions for a reliable matt varnish would be most welcome. I will purchase and try anything, as this problem is now driving me to distraction.

I have found Windsor & Newton Galeria arcyllic Matt varnish to be good. I use it over a coat of Klear, after the decals, which are in turn over several coats of Klear. The key is to mist the matt so lightly you hardly detect anything happening. If you hold the model at an angle to a light source so that it creates specular highlights, and watch these highlights as the matt goes on, you can stop it at just the right level of matt (I don't find I need a satin varnish, just really light matt does the same job). If it goes gloss or milky, it is because too much is coming out.

Edited by ben_m
  • Like 1

Alclad flat Kote, or Matt or light sheen! depending on your preference. The best finishing coats I have ever used and I've had similar problems to those you describe. They're lacquer finishes so you need to bear that in mind, but they don't react with anything for hat reason.

Brilliant. Thanks very much guys!

I generally like a low satin sheen, but sometimes want a fully matt finish, so will to obtain some Windsor & Newton Galeria acrylic matt, and apply as advised. I may have been laying it on too thick with the Vallejo I just used, but will try the recommendation above. I'll hold the Alclad as a back up plan if I still have problems, as acrylic is always my first choice where possible.

Edited by Rob 1

Try Windsor and Newton Galeria Matt varnish,dries really flat.

I second that! Just make sure that you dilute it to at least 60:40 (60 water, 40 varnish) Spray it in numerous very thin coats and let them thoroughly dry before the next coat.

• Like 2

Here's another vote for the Allclad range of Aqua cotes.. Shake well before use, however very easy and nice to work with.

Make sure you spray it over an already cleared surface, otherwise it will do damage to your bare paint..

Cheers.. Dave.

I used W&N Galleria on this Airfix fw190 straight from the bottle; just one coat over the top of Klear.

AirfixFW190-2_zpscefb7d21.jpg

AirfixFW190-1_zpse788de13.jpg

• Like 1

I use klear, and tamiya matt, you can then mix to any sort of finish you want, ie satin or a real flat matt coat.

Dave

The zero with klear coat, the Oscar, with matt (x20a?) Added to the final coat of klear

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1861507343253&set=a.1861389340303.109656.1408036978&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-frc3%2Ft1%2F182087_1861507343253_2541587_n.jpg&size=640%2C480

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jumping in here a little late - story of my life - I brush paint (I know I know) and have been using Humbrol's tins of matt varnish. Normally okay, but the last couple have been rubbish, leaving sandy like residue all over.

So I'm looking to change, what are people's thoughts for a brush on varnish, both gloss and matt that can go on over Humbrol enamels, (which I really like.)

Thanks.

I was happy enough with Xtracrylics flat varnish, albeit sometimes experimenting with the old Klear/Tamiya Flat Base variations when I wanted something...less flat.

However, I bought some Revell Acrylic Flat varnish recently and although I haven't used much of it, it works beautifully so far -airbrushes well (thinned with a little Revell Aqua Color Mix), no blocking and dries as flat as a pancake, not the slightest sheen.

As a bonus, it brushes well too!

(I was sufficiently impressed to get some Revell Gloss varnish too, thinking to mix with the Flat for a Satin finish, but haven't got around to trying that one yet.)

Edited by AngstROM
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...