Mk.82 Bombs w/Airbrake Early - 1:48

Mk.82 Bombs w/Airbrake Early
1:48 Eduard Brassin

boxtop.jpg

This variant of the standard Mark.82 iron bomb is the tail-retarded Snakeye, which instead of the usual stabilising tail fin is instead fitted with a set of air-brakes that unfold upon release and reduce the bomb's forward fall-rate to allow the releasing aircraft to get outside of the blast-radius at low level.

example.jpg

The set arrives in the usual distinctive clamshell box, and inside are enough resin parts to make six examples of the bomb, which was used extensively in Vietnam era. The main bomb body is smooth and has mounting lugs on the "top", with a hole ready to take one of two contact fuses of differing lengths. The folded tail is separate, and once removed from their casting blocks they mate with a flat surface that can be a little difficult to get square. If you haven't managed to cut yours totally square, instead of trying to get it perfect, just create a depression in the centre of the mating surfaces so that they contact only around the outer edge. That reduction in contact surface will make it much easier to square up, and don't forget to align the fins to the attachment lugs per the scrap diagram.

sprue1.jpg

Markings
The fuse tip is steel, while the rest of the bomb is painted Olive Drab (H52/C38 in Gunze colours), and the small decal sheet contains the stencils common to all bombs, plus a pair of curved yellow nose-bands for each bomb and one spare. The smaller band sits forward of the large one to take account of the tape of the bomb's nose.

Conclusion
Something a little different from a standard Mk.82, and with the superb detail cast into the fins, they should look great hung off your latest creation. If you're minded to put them on a Naval aircraft, remember that a thermal protective coating was added following the 1967 USS Forrestal fire, so a little filler and a stippling brush will be needed to correctly depict a Snakeye after this time.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Skyhawk pic shows Mk81 bombs with Mk14 tails?

Regards,

Andy

Yes Andy and that's what these are. There has been a fair bit of discussion over on ARC including from a gent who's day job was dropping stuff like these. Looks like Eduard dropped the ball (or bomb!) Even though they are labelled as MK.82 early they are more akin to MK 81 bombs with Mk14 tails.

Julien

Playing Devil's Advocate here :devil:

Would these still be OK for a Vietnam Era aircraft and, thermal coating apart, were they only used for a particular period? Sorry if this is a silly question but I'm in the glazed over compartment at the moment :blink:

The Mk81 was developed in the 50's so was used in vietnam and with this tail.

Time periods etc I am not to sure on, also when the thermal coating was introduced. Best to check your refs.

Julien

From what I have seen on Eduards site the "late" ones looks like proper Mk.82 with the correct retard tails.

Mk 82 retarded tails should have the cut out in the middle

07Mk82SnakeEye500lbBomb.jpg

Early Mk.82's had the retarded section which met the back of the bomb, where as the late ones the fins came back over the bomb body about 6". That seems to be what I have read anyway!

Julien