Spitifre F Mk XIVe kit-bash 1/48th scale

Hi Bob - thanks for that - I'd missed it. very helpful. The lamp seems to move backwards as Mk increases!! And then becomes US style 3 lamp of course.

look like I need to drill a hole....

Jonners

PS Painting in progress, and a Spit in overall MSG looks very strange

From the horses mouth from someone who was there 17sqd had red spinners and he doesn't remember any other colour

Hi Jaffa - thanks for that. Its just theres a photo of this airframe and it doesnt have a red spinner. Even in B&W the tone of the spinner is so far removed from the tone of the red roundel and tail flash colours, that it aint red.

I'm open to suggestions - but have gone with yellow as thats whats in the book.

cheers for the reply though - its a little known chapter, and to my mind the markings are wonderfully unique

Jonners

they did have gray spinners when in burma before shipping to japan so its possible this aircraft hadnt been painted with the red spinner..

ive got an az model of a mk14 17sqd spitfire ginger lacey with 2 marking options for it....

are you sure its a 17sqd and not 11sqd the reason i ask is they had all metal spinners which would look a light colour in a black and white photo?

they did have gray spinners when in burma before shipping to japan so its possible this aircraft hadnt been painted with the red spinner..

ive got an az model of a mk14 17sqd spitfire ginger lacey with 2 marking options for it....

are you sure its a 17sqd and not 11sqd the reason i ask is they had all metal spinners which would look a light colour in a black and white photo?

Hi Jaffa - see what you think. (pic posted here to discuss - I'll remove if anyone objects)

SpitXIVERN185_zpsb82f5e38.jpg

Looks like a white backplate, and you can see it s not red form comparison to the fin flash. Its too "dull" to be NMF or silver - so MSG?

The books says "possibly" yellow. Also note its an E wing, but still has patches of some sort over where the outer 303s would be- puzzling.

from what I know only 17 Sq flew high backs in Japan - the rest were all bubble tops

Cheers

jonners

• Like 1

Hi Jaffa - see what you think. (pic posted here to discuss - I'll remove if anyone objects)

SpitXIVERN185_zpsb82f5e38.jpg

Looks like a white backplate, and you can see it s not red form comparison to the fin flash. Its too "dull" to be NMF or silver - so MSG?

The books says "possibly" yellow. Also note its an E wing, but still has patches of some sort over where the outer 303s would be- puzzling.

from what I know only 17 Sq flew high backs in Japan - the rest were all bubble tops

Cheers

jonners

mmm yeah its not red it could be a lighter grey if you compare it to the grey on the fuselage by the exhausts?

the wing is puzzling mate

yeah 17 flew highbacks and 11 flew the low backs....if i could get a copy of the pic ill ask when i see him again

• Like 1

I suppose grey is the most logical - perhaps replacement prop hubs, waiting to be painted red?

Keeping it yellow for now, as I've grown rather fond of it :) If new info comes along then I can always repaint

Jonners, now wondering what those "gun patches" are colour wise too.....

• Like 2

Looking great Jon,

You`ve done a great job so far and it looks great in its B.C.A. of O. colours. I`d plumb for yellow for the spinner too, it seems to match the yellow prop tip colour?

Great stuff,

Tony

PS- Brick Red (Humbrol 70) for the patches over the mg ports maybe?

Edited by tonyot

It's actually a rather minty lime green, Jon. C'mon, would I lie to you?

bob

Shocking pink I'd say mate :) but see below

Looking great Jon,

You`ve done a great job so far and it looks great in its B.C.A. of O. colours. I`d plumb for yellow for the spinner too, it seems to match the yellow prop tip colour?

Great stuff,

Tony

PS- Brick Red (Humbrol 70) for the patches over the mg ports maybe?

Hi Tony - yeah maybe, though Im thinking perhaps grey green. Dont know why, just a gut feeling ( or perhaps thats the prawns...)

jonners

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...