1/72 RS Models Lockheed P-38G

Hello

Here is my recent kit of a 1/72 RS Models Lokheed P-38G. This one is from the 339th Fighter Squadron, 347th Fighter Group and was involved in the successful Admiral Yamamoto hunting on April 18, 1943.

This kit should be published in Model Airplane International.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 20

I really want to put a p38 in the stash in 1:72.

This looks great...also welcome for anyone to suggest good kits from other manufacturers.

If I can do half as good a job as this I would be so happy.

Built a Revell 1:72 back in the 70's/ 80's which had 2 verions. (a night intruder and a silver version with open ammunition bays and invasion stripes)

Unfortunately like so many it was dispatched to the model graveyard by the family cat.

Very nice work. I've got one of the Airfix 1/72 P38F/H kits on the go. I do like twin boom aircraft of WWII.

Chris

I really want to put a p38 in the stash in 1:72.

This looks great...also welcome for anyone to suggest good kits from other manufacturers.

If I can do half as good a job as this I would be so happy.

Built a Revell 1:72 back in the 70's/ 80's which had 2 verions. (a night intruder and a silver version with open ammunition bays and invasion stripes)

Unfortunately like so many it was dispatched to the model graveyard by the family cat.

I have the Academy 1/72 kit in the stash, the detail on it looks very good.

This one looks amazing.. Top work!

How do the RS P-38's compare to the Academy P-38's? You have proven the RS model can look great when done but are there any fit issues when building it? I've got a pair of Academy kits and I know they build well (as I built one years ago) but it's always good to know about other kits.

thanks

Mike

I have never built any Academy P-38 so I cannot compare both. What I can say is that the RS kit is a short run one and everything is not perfectly engineered like Tamiya for instance. There are many pieces to assemble due to the number of different variants from P-322 to P-38H and the F-4/5 reconnaissance birds.

Here is a picture in progress after sanding many seams. Obviously the fine engraved panel lines disappeared so I had to make them again. It is time consuming but I am quite satisfied with this result. In my stash I have the P-38F, P-38H, P-322-I, F-4 and F-5 from RS Models so many hours of fun in the future.

Patrick

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33

Awesome work, lovely weathering! May i ask what colour have you used for the chipping (and if you used any layers over it, changing the colour a bit)? Because it looks realy convincing, mainly on the spinners.. not too shiny, but still noticable. great

Awesome work, lovely weathering! May i ask what colour have you used for the chipping (and if you used any layers over it, changing the colour a bit)? Because it looks realy convincing, mainly on the spinners.. not too shiny, but still noticable. great

The underlayer is Alclad Duraluminium on the airframe but I made a mistake on the spinners with Steel :winkgrin: In the end it was a good opportunity.

Patrick

• Like 1