Airfix Churchill in 1/76th Scale.Finished.

G'day chums,

I just fancied a quick and dirty this weekend.I'm now waiting on paint drying on my Kingfisher so I thought I'd try something simple as a bit of light relief from the various other builds that I've got on the go at the moment.

This kit was part of the VE Day box set from Airfix that I picked up from my auctioneer mate for the princely sum of £6,so I suppose it works out at around 70pence.The last one I built was thirty odd years ago so this is a bit of a nostalgia build as well.

The kit.

y4mGV2oBYUVegcYkOUrYZ3suVRJX0BrY08jBK0Zh

After a couple of hours gentle plod.

y4mxcG_DR2EvmJutwvzHbzhm8Pzbe2bQLdihnuXa

One of the sprocket components was missing(I'm sure it's here somewhere but I've mislaid it) so I knocked one up from plastic card.I'm not going to bother cutting the teeth,it will be barely visible when painted and fitted anyway.

For anyone who hasn't built one before I read about this little trick.

y4mBkjSWFIBojPZAqJFkWNO3CLXL8NK6v1PR2YFX

It's a lovely method of not losing more small bits than necessary.Anyway,a flurry of gluing and hairy sticking a drop of paint about has left me here.

y4mCxM-4Una59G0wwSylhDZaKT4lQQjwOc2xPXvj

I'll do a little more tonight and then,hopefully,finish it tomorrow.More soon chums,thanks for looking.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

Hello again Chums,

Wolwe,all those little wheels went on a treat.Painting them on the other hand...

Mark,don't blink-you'll miss it.

I did a little more last night.I positioned all the road wheels and held them in place with the outer side of the sponsons and then glued the pins on the inside to hold them in place ready to put the tracks on.

y4m9HWl5tmR9JlJtyvS00W8J9ogbLKv1mXaWi3XQ

I then stitched the track ends together with thin copper wire and then stretched them around 2 lengths of wooden dowel kept apart by a couple of paint pots and a mixing cup.

y4m-yHhHzheYGecpZWm_CZxkIXz0BO66B434O9DR

That's where I called it a night.

This morning I took the tracks off their stretcher and found that they had assumed a more helpful shape for fitting.

y4mC48vvKLKUL-6jncS1JE8Gud2C0nM9r80pef8N

I then removed the outer sponson parts and fitted and tensioned the tracks by pulling the wire tighter.This was a fiddle but not a patch on trying to fit a track length that is fractionally too short and tearing off a sprocket or snapping the thing.While I could still get at them I added a wash of very thinned black to the springs.Well,why not?Everyone else does.

y4mE3eWpuwvJC9LXckMTdAYx9-Cgbc2Jy3ARCftz

As we are now the outer parts are back on (fiddle fiddle dropped it damn) and held in place while the glue sets.

y4mDcHHCbTnAIJagsmZco8CK5bxHqau4LRFkq8Dd

There might be half a chance of getting some paint on tonight.More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

There are all those wheels again, and those tracks, all bringing up those memories again of the kid that never got them right... Second time in this very GB I'm reminded, and amazed to see it work. On day I might have to get my revenge on that kit...

Good work, and quick!

Just a quick update chums,

Jorgen,enjoy the revenge.I've got another one if you want it.

Wolwe,next time I'll try to warm the vinyl a little so that it will reshape slightly and straighten out.Both tracks are still bent and won't sit under the roadwheels properly.Superglue at dawn.

y4mMBYcsGR5CfnM5mQ4A8eC56ZUT2ZcZEwQJaGO6

First coat of paint on and decide on commanders hatch open or shut.

More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Hello again Chums,

Second coat of paint on.A brief bit of research revealed that Bronze Green was a post war colour and too dark The colour used during the war was in fact SCC 15 which is a lighter green,according to Mike Starmer,not far removed from Humbrol 155 olive drab.I added a drop of Bronze Green to a few brushfuls of 155 to darken it a little and came up with a suitably convincing green which does the job for me.

y4mEDlFYFtBrWhunATsYaLLF4X6mIl8ysgsopee2

Once this is dry I will do the detail painting and give it a matt varnish and a spot of light weathering and then she'll be done.

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

G'day Chums,

Deacon,thanks,glad you're enjoying this.

I'm calling this one done.I added the twiddly bits,painted the exhaust Dark Earth 'cos that's about the best compromise colour I can think of at this size and added a couple of antennae made from thin wire.

y4mrz__xiaTIgY16K21nPNQ2N7N-kHyqH1RuYro2

y4mui3f3x1UOEhXYxxOScuM9AJEOtRYmsdemXjZQ

y4mxSJz0PRZem4FBXf1WpcH4BhJrlKALTbE18Dk0

y4mAYNomV-A9JGAra4RAGrM-5biIgY3dN1UEi3w4

She's had a coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish.This build has served to remind me why I'm doing more and more airbrushing and also how much less of a faff brush painting can be.Her ultimate destination will be a D Day diorama the kids at school are occasionally working on so any weathering will be done then.Thanks for looking in chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Photobucket URLs.
  • Like 3