merlin42_zpsb615dbab.jpg

merlin43_zps42f74635.jpg

Right hand side:

merlin46_zps9ada1b0f.jpg

merlin47_zps7d8f246b.jpg

And overall side shots:

merlin48_zpscd70385b.jpg

merlin44_zps1adfa3e1.jpg

There are a few bits of clean up needed, and I've started on some of the remaining sub-assemblies, but I'm reall happy with the look of the thing now it's all one colour.

• Like 7

Awesome, that is the dog what-sits, simply fantastic bit of modelling.

Really looking forward to seeing this completed.

Eng

Great job here, coming on really well, takes me back to 96/97/98, that hinge looks spot on. I had to drill/ream and fit the tail on the Mechanical Systems trainer at Culdrose's Merlin Training Facility and managed to wind it closed and open with my air wrench, spot on first time. We also had to scratch build the transmission shrouds and the complete tail skins. I also got the closterphobic 's choice of building one fuel tank, supporting structure and internals, a bit tight! It was a 1/1 model, almost,using new real components one brand new real engine, rotor head, drive shafts, all 3 gear boxes, Has anyone on BM had to work on it/ done the course at Culdrose? I'd love to know how it all stood up to non stop remove/refits.

Like I said you're doing a great job, thanks for the wip!

Edited by bzn20

They seem to change around the Type 23 Flights between 815NAS Lynx & 829NAS Merlins Have pictures of HMS St Albans HMS Westministers Flts. She is looking good with MSG coat on Regards Len

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later and the big grey helicopter is now a big grey helicopter with yellow lines!

The Archer Rivets work brilliantly well, and help to make the tail boom a bit more interesting:

merlin50_zpsa275d077.jpg

The next challenge with this conversion is the complete lack of decals, after priming, I painted the yellow walkway stripes masked, then used cast-a-coat for the non-slip surface.

merlin53_zpsf6594955.jpg

There's not a lot of choice with the colour scheme, MSG (Tamiya XF-83) all the way, but I've put some time into matching the look of the airframe I've picked as my choice - ZH851/457/LA of 829 NAS on board HMS Lancaster. At the time the overall colours were rather faded and pink-ish with a number of areas of fresh paint. These shots are a bit washed out by the flash, but even without, the effect is quite subtle. Detail painting is underway now, then some varnish and weathering.

merlin49_zps5df86cd4.jpg

merlin51_zpsef8bbeac.jpg

merlin52_zps9ac83fc3.jpg

A

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ant, I'm really happy with this one, much easier than I thought it would be when I started.

Here's the latest update, decals and varnish topcoat on and most of the breakable bits finished and ready for weathering. Just the winch, dipping sonar, aerials and wing mirrors still to do.

merlin58_zps6927660f.jpg

merlin54_zps36b56ad9.jpg

merlin55_zps4161b26e.jpg

merlin57_zps59786048.jpg

And the break-offable bits:

merlin56_zps5b191cc9.jpg

Andrew

• Like 5

The decals came from a a number of sheets in the spares box and I made a lot of use of a Hawk stencils sheet from Model Alliance. The most time consuming bit (not visible in the photos here) was creating an 'HMS LANCASTER' across the nose cone from indivudial letters taken from various Typhoon FGR pilot names.

For anyone interested in the original aicraft, here are links to acouple of photos that I used to get the markings right:

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/17646/zh851-uk-navy-agusta-westland-aw-101-111-merlin-hm-1/

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/92053/zh851-uk-navy-agusta-westland-aw-101-111-merlin-hm-1/

Andrew

• Like 1

The most time consuming bit (not visible in the photos here) was creating an 'HMS LANCASTER' across the nose cone from indivudial letters taken from various Typhoon FGR pilot

Andrew

.....and there in one sentence you can see true dedication.

Just caught up on this thread and can only gaze in wonder at your determination in this project. If you ever display it, do it with the 'during' photos so others know of the effort you have put in.

Trevor