Hawker Siddelely Typhoon F.1 1968

Devilfish

I built one of these for a What-if Gb on another forum, but in 1/72. Due to time constraints and the fact that once I had finished itI had better ideas, I decided I wanted to re-visit it, but in my more normal 1/48 scale. Fortune saw me picking up a Revel Tiffie off Mish a couple of years ago at the Peterboro model show, minus it's canopy.

the basic back story is it is a further development of the P.1121, designed to replce the Lightning and act as support for the TSR2.

Heres where I am at so far.

New analog instrument panel
104_2499_zps559bd4d3.jpg

Hunter top fuselage top to be grafted on
104_2503_zpsdc8e8bb9.jpg

New rear airbrake housings.
104_2502_zpsdbb54091.jpg

And new wing tips are fitted
104_2511_zps460ac4b6.jpg

Fin and spine
104_2510_zpsdbd4432c.jpg

Pen knib taking shape
104_2519_zps38d89c31.jpg

New intake almost done
104_2518_zps9089b152.jpg

Nose extension
104_2517_zps8a7478d2.jpg

Overall
104_2516_zpsfe7ce619.jpg

• Like 5

You definitely have an eye for the 60's aesthetic in aircraft design, with small changes in the wing tips and tail you've completely changed the look of the Typhoon.

The intake modification is spot on as well. It's all something I never would have been able to dream up myself, but when I see it, I think, "Of course that's how that should look!"

Looking forward to seeing you progress.

You definitely have an eye for the 60's aesthetic in aircraft design, with small changes in the wing tips and tail you've completely changed the look of the Typhoon.

The intake modification is spot on as well. It's all something I never would have been able to dream up myself, but when I see it, I think, "Of course that's how that should look!"

Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Thank you, that is high praise indeed.

I sometimes tend to do more research on my Whifs than I do on real-world stuff.....

Everything has come together well - seamlessly in fact :lol: Not sure about the canard foreplanes personaly but it's your model so go for it ;)

Wow looks ace it's also really ironic that just yesterday I took a file to my old airfix EFA and started modding the wings to make it into a wrap around 70s bird.

I am thinking of deleting the canards on mine and just go for a traditional delta. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Cheers Rob ;)

Sorry, the canards are staying....

Oh fair enough. It will look cool either way. I have looked back now and see you have reshaped them I forgot that. It looks cool and fits the look of the wing and tail. Love the vintage curves. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I've got it in gloss laquer now, ready for decalling. On choosing the sqn, I realised I had nothing suitable, so I decided to spray them on myself....

Firstly masked, then the white base is sprayed on...

104_2623_zpsc0bf6659.jpg

Followed by the red...

104_2626_zps5e649702.jpg

To be finished off hopefully later on...

• Like 3

Very clever work on those squadron markings - they look great!

I just now noticed the shape of the modified nose (you have a close-up in your first post covered in putty, but somehow I missed it) - what did you use for the nose cone?