Academy/Hobby Boss P40 Tomahawk?

Righto everyone.

After some shocking builds I picked a simple one to practice. I'm building up to a particular Hurricane and need to put some work in!

I managed to splurge and got myself a brilliant Iwata double action airbrush and I'm learning as much as I can as quickly as possible.

I have to say it's brilliant to finally be able to afford my hobby! HA HA!

On this build I was trying the new airbrush, tried polishing compounds to clear up an accident on the canopy, practiced a bit more weathering, tried some new glue (Tamiya Ultra thin....I'll never look back!) tried PVA glue on the canopy fix (that's a revelation for me) and generally tried to get a bit better before tackling a build that means a bit more to me.

Here's some photos ...SteveJ60 has built another P40 just recently and he is a kind, regular and generous contributor to this page. It's cool to have an Academy P40 built and displayed at the same time as him.

Cheers

Winenut

1654465_265265083635290_1736977395_n.jpg

1622074_265265206968611_851567518_n.jpg

1964820_265264576968674_794529125_n.jpg

1660440_265264456968686_88208918_n.jpg

1618426_265264343635364_1076193376_n.jpg

1506811_265264310302034_259486842_n.jpg

1656225_265264190302046_673109087_n.jpg

1796589_265263953635403_1985216492_n.jpg

1497290_265263863635412_1669440330_n.jpg

1901441_265263783635420_1777854186_n.jpg

1653342_265263550302110_223923313_n.jpg

1975193_265263513635447_336633251_n.jpg

The sharp among you will note I did the wheels wells in grey being lazy but had the inside panels of wheels covers in a greeny colour!!! Oh well....put it down to a practice kit. :winkgrin:

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Winenut

• Like 3

Can add I made a massive mistake on the red fuselage tailband! It was the wrong size and I didn't position it correctly and basically no excuse buggered it up!!! HA HA!

It's WAY to close to the cockpit and nowhere near the tail!

We live and learn.

Next time I'll get that right for sure :banghead:

I like this build its clean and crisp, I'm sure the airbrush helps, like you say its trying to afford the hobby and at the moment I'm still using brushes only….!!!!

I have the p40 on my bench at the moment and its a lovely plane to build, love your colours though and can only say well done for a great build.

Im the same, ever so critical about my own work and Im sure others are as well….we are our biggest critics.

the hobby is about enjoyment and even though i make mistakes (big ones) I still love the hobby.

can't wait to see the hurricane……...

Also you mentioned using PVA on the canopy, can i ask why?

Simon

I like this build its clean and crisp, I'm sure the airbrush helps, like you say its trying to afford the hobby and at the moment I'm still using brushes only….!!!!

I have the p40 on my bench at the moment and its a lovely plane to build, love your colours though and can only say well done for a great build.

Im the same, ever so critical about my own work and Im sure others are as well….we are our biggest critics.

the hobby is about enjoyment and even though i make mistakes (big ones) I still love the hobby.

can't wait to see the hurricane……...

Also you mentioned using PVA on the canopy, can i ask why?

Simon

Thanks Simon for checking this out ..I've never used PVA glue before on a canopy. Saw it on a youtube thing or something. The PVA glue is just your standard woodworking and craft glue. But it's non aggressive and dries clear. I had a particular problem with the aft cockpit glass on this kit and thought I'd give the PVA glue a go because of that. You can squeeze it into a dish then dip a cocktail stick in it and use that to apply a thin coat to the canopy or fuselage to provide adhesion. It was an experiment for me this time but I think it's good. You can clean up any excess with a damp cotton bud thing (just moisten it with a bit of spit and wipe up) too easy. Also the PVA glue can be used to fill small gaps....same technique...fill the gap....wipe off excess with a moistened cotton bud. Just note the PVA does shrink as it dries. Very cool for canopies for clumsy people like me! Thanks for checking out the P40 and the questions.....good fun ...cheers

Might not be Hobby Boss either....I think I gugged that bit as well.

Very rudimentary kit though (which was fine) instructions and paint details very basic indeed.

You're right, Academy have nothing to do with Hobby Boss but have re-issued Hobby Craft kits like this one (and some 1/48 Bf109's) under their own name.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

For a first with a new airbrush (lucky sod!) you have done quite OK, I think.

As I am still a paint brusher, I can only look in awe at what a well used airbrush can do.

Well done and keep experimenting. Practice is supposed to make prefect, although in my case I wished I improved faster!

Cheers

JR

Looks superb especially given that you are new to using an airbrush,I must have messed up a good half dozen kits before I was happy with what I

could achieve,just keep practicing and these cheap kits along with Hobbyboss and Airfix are ideal.Now I could be wrong but I think this kit is one of

academy,s very early efforts based on the Frog kit,I have their avenger which is another and it definitely has a frog stand included.

Nice sound build. What Iwata did you buy, I'm considering an upgrade?

Thanks heaps for the query.The airbrush is an iwata hi line hp ch airbrush. But seriously I am just crap and learning but if you check it out on other forums you'll find it is a very good airbrush. I can tell after trying it and experimenting that it will help improve the standard of my models for sure. It's not cheap but very good quality and with practice I know I will produce some really nice finishes. I'm still trying paints and thinnners and finishes and air pressures and enamels and acrylics and you name it!!! Hopefully I can keep posting and you'll see my gradual improvement in clean builds and better mastery of the airbrush

Looks superb especially given that you are new to using an airbrush,I must have messed up a good half dozen kits before I was happy with what I

could achieve,just keep practicing and these cheap kits along with Hobbyboss and Airfix are ideal.Now I could be wrong but I think this kit is one of

academy,s very early efforts based on the Frog kit,I have their avenger which is another and it definitely has a frog stand included.

Thanks Steve. I think you're right mate....it's an Academy kit. It was very cheap and very simple and that's why I used it for trying my new airbrush and a few techniques. But there's a lot of "rough stuff" on the images and that's just my lack of skill and a few issues with paints and gloss coats and matt coats and the brush and enamels and acrylics .....but hey!!!! That's the fun...isn't it....

Thanks for looking....I'm still not sure if I can do my next door neighbours grandfathers Burma Hurribomber justice ....but that's what I'm working towards.

Cheers!

Winenut

• 3 months later...

Hey Winenut, the 'rough stuff' I think, is paint drying too quickly and giving a gritty finish. I've had this many times myself. One of the ways I've found to correct it is to wait until the paint has dried and then give it a polish/rub with some kitchen towel or similar. That should give you a smoother finish for the next steps. Over to others to add their own tips!

• Like 1

Thanks heaps for the comments guys..

I've cracked on with my airbrush and found that thinning the paint a bit more and spraying at a much lower PSI really made a big difference.

Much happier with the results I'm getting and attempted a freehand camo with a FW190 dora that I'm working on here... http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961891-the-weirdest-italeri-172-fw-190-d-9/

appreciate the feedback a lot.

Cheers

• 1 month later...