Topol ICBM TEL - 1/72 scale kit from Zvezda

Just finished.......

topol_019.jpg

The camouflage netting is made from gauze bandage.

topol_020.jpg

I'm not sure what it is - but the retractable equipment 'dustbin' behind the crew can is usually covered by a canvas bag - so I made one from wine bottle foil, suitably painted....

topol_021.jpg

topol_022.jpg

topol_023.jpg

I'm not too happy with the 'mud' on the wheels - I'll have to modify it....

topol_024.jpg

The tires are rubber - and I have cut a slice of the bottom of each to add a bit of 'weight' to the model.

Thankfully, they all touch the ground - more-or-less.

topol_025.jpg

I also turned the first four steerable wheels - to add a bit of 'action'.

topol_026.jpg

topol_027.jpg

This new kit from Zvezda is superbly detailed - except for the crew compartments which are bare.

I'm off now to build a second one - in launch configuration.

Ken

• Like 10

That is brilliant, excellent attention to detail!

This is different, nicely made. I like the ground level photos, really makes the subject look huge.

To flatten the tires, you can try laying down a sheet of appropriate sand paper on a table, and pass the vehicle across it. This would take care of all the tires in one shot.

regards,

Jack

After a quick look on the web, most places state the missile is 22.7M long, in 72nd that's about 31cm, ergo just over a foot.

But flankerman may be able to give us a more accurate measurement :)

The TEL (Transporter/Erector/Launcher) is 25.5cm long, the missile tube which overhangs at both ends, takes the overall length to 30.8cm.

Jack said... To flatten the tires, you can try laying down a sheet of appropriate sand paper on a table, and pass the vehicle across it. This would take care of all the tires in one shot.

You could with plastic or resin wheels that are more rigid, but the rubber is too flexible (and grainy) to do it properly.

Besides, as I have 'turned' the front four wheels, they are a rather precarious fit onto the stub axles - so they won't take much sideways pressure before they break off.

Great idea though :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 1

That's an impressive bit of kit and a tidy build too.

I always feel sick to the pit of my stomach when I see these things and any ICBM, just an inbuilt reaction having grown up in the tail end of the cold war I guess....and not such a bad thing.

Cheers

Col'

• 1 month later...

This is the second 1/72 scale Zvezda Topol I have made - the first is in on-road configuration.....

topol_023.jpg

I built this one in the 'ready-to-fire' configuration.....

topol_046.jpg

I had to scratch-build an SS-25 ICBM - just the front part - using a plastic knitting needle ....

topol_033.jpg

Other mods are -

I replaced the plastic raising ram with one made from aluminium tubing

As there is no cabin interior supplied, I covered the windows with home-made blinds on the inside (like the real thing!)

The fold-up ladder on the front cab is lowered (see box art)

The nose cap - which explodes off as the missile tube is raised - has the interior detailed....

topol_039.jpg

topol_040.jpg

topol_044.jpg

Here's the two models side-by-side....

topol_041.jpg

More photos - and build - here

Ken

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...