Need Red Top, Firestreak info.

ICMF

I'm working on some CAD models of the Red Top and Firestreak missiles. I'm hitting the detail stages, but haven't had a ton of luck finding detailed reference photos and/or scale drawings. Do any Britmodellers have walkarounds of the missiles?

Firestreak_zps622f5e07.jpg

Hi

If you can hang on until tomorrow evening, or if my IT skills permit, will link you to some photo's I'll take of the Firestreak, including internals, seeker head etc at our museum. Hugh the owner will be more than happy I am sure to oblige a fellow fan of anything Lightning related! Am sure there are some great reference pics on their way from other members in the meantime....

Regards

Rob

Few snaps of a sectioned Redtop taken at Aeroventure Museum Doncaster.http://s854.photobucket.com/user/roys1966/media/SDC11092.jpg.html?sort=2&o=42#/user/roys1966/media/SDC11092.jpg.html?sort=2&o=43&_suid=13934449079010646188708211453

Also

P1010904.jpg

Not quite sure what this one is !

Edited by roys

Hi

Have just got back to this late.... Have taken several photo's today of Hugh Trevor's Firestreak in our collection, some of seeker head, training round, body in three sections, control fins, and some internal. Laid out metre rule next to these, and also measured each piece, length and width, cm and mm, so if I can figure out photo bucket will pop them all on tomorrow.

Regards

Rob

P.S. Is that a Red Top with Firestreak fins in pic above?.......although rear fins far too big.

Boscombe73

Any chance I could beg a set of those pics as well? (I can pm you my email address).

Navy Bird on here is sending me a 1/72 firestreak from the trumpeter kit (as the Airfix ones are not very representative) and I am going to work on them to produce a cast resin versions (he's doing lots of Lightnings at the same time so lots of replicates needed) .

I'm hoping to not just copy the Trumpeter ones but to improve on them, preferably with some home made PE fins etc. so any detailed info would be really helpful to getting them as close as possible in 1/72

I'm putting them on the airfix Lightning F2.A I've got started in the Work In Progress area (adapting the resin aires cockpit set from the trumpeter kit to the airfix) and will be happy to acknowledge you in the build thread etc.

Many Thanks

FB

Ok....hope the pics make sense, once I have had a chance to decipher my sketches and notes from earlier, will post up the dimensions. Eagle eyed viewers will spot the metre rule, and perhaps just about see the scale, cm's.

From the top: Seeker head, and front section.

Rear section, showing rear to top of pic, with close ups of main fin rear aerodynamic fairing (The missiles owner Hugh Trevor points out that rivets are not the 'standard' way of joining these sections together!

Main static fins, and rear guidance fins.

Hope you like them!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Roys. Those are a help.

Oh, and the mystery missile is a Red Dean - designed for the ill-fated thin-wing Javelin. It does kind of look like a bodged "artists interpretation" of a generic missile though, doesn't it?

Taken at Cosford - Firestreak

And Red Top;

Hope these are of some use.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Don't suppose you've got bigger versions of those, have you?

Ok....hope the pics make sense, once I have had a chance to decipher my sketches and notes from earlier, will post up the dimensions. Eagle eyed viewers will spot the metre rule, and perhaps just about see the scale, cm's.

From the top: Seeker head, and front section.

Rear section, showing rear to top of pic, with close ups of main fin rear aerodynamic fairing (The missiles owner Hugh Trevor points out that rivets are not the 'standard' way of joining these sections together!

Main static fins, and rear guidance fins.

Hope you like them!

Rob

Rob,

Those are great. Please tell me you have access to a Red Top, too! :) One additional request though: in most pics, the Firestreak has a long, rectangular "shape" on the conduits in front of the wings. You can see it in Steve's photo (the upper one looks green, the lower one is whitish). That bit is missing from the missile in your pics... any chance the relevant component is hiding somewhere in the museum? Also: is there any chance you could get some pics of the shackles/hangers/hook-ups?

Hi

Firstly, sorry no Red Top......

We do have a launch rail for such though.

The fairings you speak of that are missing....I believe they are in that 'Help the Aged ' poly bag visible in the first shot...I vaguely remember being told that!

Is it pics of the launch rail, and the actual pylon pick up you need as well?

Glad you like them so far.

Rob

Few snaps of a sectioned Redtop taken at Aeroventure Museum Doncaster.http://s854.photobucket.com/user/roys1966/media/SDC11092.jpg.html?sort=2&o=42#/user/roys1966/media/SDC11092.jpg.html?sort=2&o=43&_suid=13934449079010646188708211453

Also

P1010904.jpg

That is, I believe a Red Dean radar homing missile. It was intended to have a nuclear warhead so is considerably larger than either a Firestreak or Red Top.

Righto

Dimensions for the Firestreak...

Allied to the pics above:

FRONT SECTION

Front section from rear joint to seeker head tip : 132cm, Width at rear joint: 22cm

Glass seeker head windows section length to join at metal tip: 265mm + 2cm of metal tip

Width of seeker head at joint: 19cm

Individual glass seeker head panels: Base width: 7cm, Length of both angled sides: 235mm, Width of 'squared off' point at metal tip joint: 8mm

CENTRE SECTION

Length: 189cm

Width at both ends: 22cm

REAR CONE

Length: 335mm

Width at joint: 22cm

Inside width of nozzle: 157mm

MAIN FIXED FIN

Length at base: 687mm

Height of fin: 25cm (267mm including base)

Length of top of fin (rear to foward slope) 435mm

Length of sloped forward area: 355mm

REAR STEERING FIN

Length of fin: 126mm

Width of fin: 97mm

Spigot Length: 6cm

Hope this is of help, and makes sense.....

Will have some more pics of pick up points from Saturday. Happy calculating!

• Like 1

The fairings you speak of that are missing....I believe they are in that 'Help the Aged ' poly bag visible in the first shot...I vaguely remember being told that!

Is it pics of the launch rail, and the actual pylon pick up you need as well?

Just the rail connectors on the missile. Thanks muchly. And if you can get shots of those fairings, that'd be awesome too.

-----

Steve, PM inbound.

-----

Everyone else: That just leaves me desperately in need of Red Top pics or drawings. Anyone out there care to help? See: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955728-why-no-love-for-new-172-airfix-bac-lightning/?p=1558303

Edited by ICMF

Hi all

Sorry for delay, just got back to museum today.

Will up load pictures as soon as I get time.

Have measured all parts requested (I Hope!)

Regards

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Ok chaps as promised (albeit a bit late) photo's of Firestreak electrical points, and the aerodynamic strakes that fit either end of fin base.

From the photo's you will note metre rule in pic (sorry not too clear) but dimensions as follows:

From the top:

1: Small three pointed 'ogee' shaped strake (green):

Length through middle 'fork' 69mm

" " outside 'fork' 66mm

Width: 78mm

Width between outside fork points : 70mm

2: Rectangular fitments (white):

Length: 57mm

Side plates widths: 14mm

3: Large Green Strake:

Length: 295mm

Rear screw holes: 10mm from rear/ 40mm between centre of holes

Forward screw holes: 158mm from rear/ 30mm between screw holes

4: Electrical Connection, and removable green plate:

Length: 437mm

Width: With Rear flanges: 95mm Body:78mm

Distrance from rear to removable panel: 58mm

Length of removable panel: 175mm

Width of " " : 33mm

5: Position of screw holes on above panel:

From rear to rear screw hole centres: 12mm

From edge to " " " " : 27mm

From front to front screw hole centres: 142mm

From edge to " " " " : 20mm

6: Electrical connection on Firestreak front body section, dimensions for casing given earlier in topic.

Hope this is of use. If my IT skills ran to it, you would have fully annotated photo's!

In the meantime good luck deciphering what I have written.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops. Missed the last batch of pics. Great stuff - thanks!

Now I just need a good walkaround of a Red Top and I can get these printed up and ready for casting. :)

• 6 years later...
On 26/02/2014 at 20:07, roys said:

Also

P1010904.jpg

That is a rather rare Vickers Red Dean!