Classic Japanese sports duo - Toyota 2000GT and Datsun 240ZG

Two of Japan's finest ever sports cars, both products of their era, both designed by the same guy, Albrecht Goertz. The 2000GT was a Yamaha proposal which Nissan turned down, and Toyota didn't. The Z-car is Datsun through and through...

2000Gt-front-left-corner-XL.jpg

2000GT-low-rear-left-corner-XL.jpg

2000gt-left-nose-on-XL.jpg

2000GT-low-right-rear-quarter-XL.jpg

2000GT-high-right-front-hero-X2.jpg

2000GT-left-profile-2-XL.jpg

2000GT-rear-view-X2.jpg

2000Gt-high-left-side-XL.jpg

2000Gt-high-headon-gleam-X2.jpg

2000GT-low-front-right--XL.jpg

What a lovely car, and what a great kit...

bestest,

M.

• Like 2

...and now the 240ZG

240Z-low-front-right-corner-PS2-XL.jpg

240Z-low-left-front-XL.jpg

240Z-right-profile-XL.jpg

240Z-going-away-XL.jpg

240Z-left-quarter-square-XL.jpg

240Z-front-right-aggressive-X2.jpg

240Z-high-right-front-XL.jpg

It's not as beautiful a car as the 2000GT, but I like its style and even the colour. That front overhang is a bit much, but it does lend it a real "shark-like" look. Still, I wouldn't say no if I found one for sale!

(and I'd better replace that rear offside wheel badge that's moved during the photo session. Rats!)

bestest,

M.

• Like 2

They may both be curbside, but I think these are fantastic kits by Hasegawa. I've previously built the Miura and the 250 Testa Rossa, and these two models have just confirmed Hasegawa's position as my personal #1 maker for car kits. They are precise fitting, well-engineered (not overcomplicated but as detailed as is needed, wherever it's needed), and really look like their full-size prototypes. Highly recommended.

Build thread is here:

bestest,

M.

Two very attractive examples of the greatest period in car styling. And funnily enough I was watching You Only Live Twice just the other day.

V nice - I especially like the depth of the white on the Toyota.

• Like 1

It's not as beautiful a car as the 2000GT, but I like its style and even the colour. That front overhang is a bit much, but it does lend it a real "shark-like" look. Still, I wouldn't say no if I found one for sale!

M.

Here you go.......

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C370822

Nicely made and presented. Personally I prefer the 240.

Trevor

Would like to attempt the roadster GT2000 in one of the James Bond movies.

That would be a brave attempt.

I believe the Bond version was a convertible, which was never made as a production model.

It did look scherweeeeeet though!

That would be a brave attempt.

I believe the Bond version was a convertible, which was never made as a production model.

It did look scherweeeeeet though!

Yes, Toyota (or someone else) made the convertible version because Sean Connery would never get his rather tall self into the car. Of course, a coupe would have made it harder to see the lovely Kissy Suzuki driving.

Now that you mention it, And side by side,

I can see the link between them in the line of

the top of the side windows. Not much, but it's there.

Legend has it the Toyota was shipped to Uk & coverted.

I have fond memories of a Z from 1983.

Both very nice builds.

Both beautiful, a fine pair of builds and would grace any display shelf. Built a 240 when I were a young'un, although it

eventually ended up with the wheels and running gear from a 69 Camaro, with the carbs poking through the bonnet :shrug:

Happy days,

Sean

I hated those z cars in the early 70s, because it was a threat to our vaunted Corvette. A cheap sporting machine anyone could live with. At the time I was working for a car dealer specializing in muscle cars, sports cars and classics. I loved the older British machines like the MGs and Spifires we were selling and the US cars as well. I just could not wrap my red white and blue mind around a Datsun car being cool. Eventually I came to love the cars. Don't get me wrong, I drive a Chevy and I love it but I respect the other makers from around the globe.