my first airbrushed car

shood23

my first foray into airbrushing

i brought an airbrush earlier in the year and have been fiddling with it since and have now plucked up the courage to do a car so here goes

black humbrol polished off with micro mesh from 3600 to 12000

20140222_145704_zpsw2uwtkei.jpg

20140222_145735_zpsknpfhoft.jpg

and how with the chrome

20140224_014705_zpsq7cpdshm.jpg

20140222_235042_zpszk9yjhjx.jpg

cheers

Also I just have to thank all the guys here on britmodeller that gave me advice on questions that I have had on airbrushing and alclad products and that me being a stubborn git did listen but then did the complete opposite to the advice given

Looks ace.

I have been using some of the alclad candys and have got a big chrome paint job coming up.

I must admit thst the candy, and the primer with micro filler are really easy to use, and on the whole fairly fool proof. The small chrome test I did came out really well, and impressed me.

Very nice Ferrari_boy, you seem to be handling your airbrush well! :-)

All I would say is take care with handling as the alclad can rub off if you touch the paint too much. This is particularly common to the chrome!

Look forward to the rest of your build! :-) :-)

Thank you for the comments and i too was worried about the different aspects of the chrome paint so i asked for every possible bit of info avalible and still didnt listen and went off and did my own thing and if anything i went a bit heavy on the chrome over the black to get a better shade but i did read somewhere that you can use different colours to influence the finish, so when i do my merc mp4-27 i probably going to use a blue undercoat.

Anyway heres where i am at as of last night, i ventured into the unknown with alclads aqua gloss as i again tried to get some info on it but never put it into to practice so it was abit of trial and error.

so its been sealed off and i got down to decaling

20140225_125913_zpspgisll1u.jpg

Just a quick note aswell the lighting in and outside today isnt great

20140225_125921_zpsys774tsv.jpg

20140225_125936_zpsc8t83r45.jpg

one thing i did learn last night when working on this is that you cant hold it in one place for alot of time as the moisture on your fingers will rub off/ disolve the water based gloss as can be seen at the back of the car on the pic above

20140225_130007_zpsehb3vnx8.jpg

20140225_130017_zps7fywjjee.jpg

so thats it

another gloss coat on tonight as the final finish then (depending on how a test piece goes) a final poilsh and putting it all together

thabk you for looking and the more comments (good or bad) the better

cheers shaun

Looks good, you've certainly got a good Gloss Black Base to work on.

I bought some of the Alclad products, and like you. I am unsure about using them.

Don't be afraid of Alclad, they're actually relatively easy to use. Especially the "normal" finishes... No more difficult than most paint(s) really.

All I would say is take care with handling as the alclad can rub off if you touch the paint too much. This is particularly common to the chrome!

Really? I've always found the Chrome holds up fairly well (within reason, of course)... Airframe Ali on the other hand...

No theres no reason to be scared of it but I will say that it takes a good eye to get the right finish and what you see just after you have painted it and what you see 20-30 minutes later are two totally different shades, thats where I made the mistake, and I found that after a day or so of drying it is still quite delicate but once you've put on about 5 coats of the aqua gloss its fine and on the blarb I read on alclads website about not putting stting solution over it it is right unless you have glossed it as the big vodafone decals on the side pods need a couple of applications to get them down to somewhere near acceptable but all in all its a really good and cheap alternative to zeros mclaren chrome which is something like £20 but having never tried it I cant comment on it to much

Cheers shaun

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update and its almost finished

20140309_124544_zps2vfrrs5n.jpg

20140309_124550_zpslwotqapl.jpg

the photos are not great they were taken in a bit of a hurry but as of yet none of the big bits are glued there are a few minor things i would like to change and to give it a bit of a polish as for some reason the gloss pitted just ahead of the radiator intakes on both side but nowhere else.

cheers shaun