Revell 1:72 Consolidated PB4Y-1 Liberator

On 2/25/2014 at 12:53, David H said:

With the installation of the Falcon vac canopy, how do you feel the shape of the whole front end matches up with photos? To my eye it looks pretty good; somehow better than the nose on the Academy kit. i think installing the larger side opening windows makes a difference. And IIRC fitting the Vac canopy wasn't so bad a job once you learned you could curve it after removing the sliding windows.

Looking forward to the 4 By 2, but i'll be equally entertained by the F7F Tigercat.

Thanks, David! Regarding the nose, I have the Academy "J" version in my stash, and I referred to it often during the build. The Academy nose is flatter on the top, and this is the reason why the Falcon canopy had to be bent down. To be honest, I think the Revell kit might actually be closer to the proper profile, but that's just a hunch from looking at so many photos. The Academy canopy is pants - squashed beyond all recognition. The actual B-24 canopy has a different cross section at the rear (where it mates with the fuselage) than it does where it mates with the windscreen. In some odd coincidence, I think bending the Falcon canopy creates the same effect. It's not perfect by any means, but it's not bad at all.

The other big difference is with the nose greenhouse itself. I couldn't use the vacuform piece because it wasn't wide enough. This means the Academy fuselage is pinched at the front relative to the Revell kit. I had a B-24 drawing that showed the cross section at several fuselage stations, one of which was the rear of the greenhouse. Guess what? The Revell kit matched that fairly well (again, not perfect) so I think its width is OK. If only the Revell greenhouse wasn't 1/2" thick... :(

I think the Revell kit actually represents one of the HALPRO B-24s, so it is meant to be a very early D model. Hence the nose pitot probes on the side of the fuselage, no cheek window, different greenhouse framing, etc. But that's just a guess, I am not a B-24 expert by any definition of the word.

Now, about the 4x2. I know a shop in Jamestown NY that had the Revell re-issue the last time I was there, so I sent them a note to see if they still had it. They did, and only $30. Cheap. So I ordered it, only to find that they actually didn't have it in stock...ugh. Will keep looking though. And yes, the Tigercat is waiting - right after the Skua.

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT: 2018 - The Revell re-issue of the Matchbox PB4Y-2 is now part of my stash, along with the Cobra resin set of aftermarket "improvements." Will this be the year?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi mates,

I went to Buffcon 31 last weekend. This is a show put on by IMPS Niagara Frontier, which is the local modelling club for Buffalo, NY. As usual, I did not bring my camera, nor even my phone so I don't have pictures to show of the many models on display. Nearly 450 models, according to one of the judges that I spoke with. It was a great event with a LOT of vendors, so consequently I no longer have any money.

I brought the PB4Y-1 Liberator to the show, and it was entered in the category for 1:72 and smaller multi-engine propeller aircraft. It won first place! Woo Hoo!   :)

A much bigger surprise was the antique Libby also winning the best aircraft overall! This I wasn't expecting at all, as there were some exquisite aircraft models entered.    :D

When everyone was just about finished packing up their models to go home, a friend snapped a picture with his phone of some goofy looking guy who would not let go of my trophy!

Winner

This photo is also pretty good for showing just how big (small) this model actually is! I also got a third place award for a 1:72 Spitfire Vb, and a second place award for a 1:72 Buccaneer. All in all, it was a fun day!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

Knowing there're a zillion of rivet heads to be removed,i hv to take my hat off in admiration of such a magnificient build.The colors are spot on with the white being kept subdued instead of the normal glaring outcome.Wonderful navy's Libby,wish I could build one just like yours.Keep up with the excellent work.

• 1 year later...

Bill,

WOW...WOW.... What a IMPECCABLE, IMMACULATE and STUNNIGLY GORGEOUS

Liberator you built.

She is AMAZING, :yikes: :yikes::thumbsup::thumbsup::heart::heart::heart:

KUDOS.... :worthy: :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

and CONGRATULATIONS on your third and second prize...keep smiling and making brilliant models ...

:clap::clap:

Thanks, everyone! It's always nice when an older thread like this one gets discovered by folks who haven't seen it before.   :)

I had a lot of fun building this, as it has a reputation as a kit that is not worth building. But that was the point of the Obsolete Kit Group Build, to see what we could do with these old kits. Some of the participants decided to build their obsolete kit just the way that they would have decades ago, and in the process reconnected with the joys of modelling that we all experienced in our youth. Other, more lunatic, modellers like myself decided to go all out. Even though I didn't finish the build on time, I still finished it since I believed the effort was worth it.

I think the old Revell kit cost me $1.00 at one of our club meetings, and the aftermarket maybe $65 - I can't remember. Is that in the thread somewhere? Regardless, I encourage everyone to have a look at all of the finished models from the Obsolete Kit Group Build. "A splendid time is guaranteed for all!"

Cheers,

Bill