Egyptian Air Force 1:48 Miles Mahttps://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956067-egyptian-air-force-148-miles-magister/gister

Icarus

Hi Icarus,

This looks the same base kit as the Special hobby version I'm building, minus the resin parts. It is a really enjoyable kit, plus it was my first limited run type kit. Should look good in the Egyption markings.

Rob.

Just seen the Special Hobby kit - this is definitely the same one. Will get cracking on this as soon as possible - a rather large TSR-2 is occupying the work area at the moment...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Just seen the Special Hobby kit - this is definitely the same one. Will get cracking on this as soon as possible - a rather large TSR-2 is occupying the work area at the moment...

Icarus

Sounds good...I've got my eye on a 1:144 TSR-2 kit...

Rob

Edited by bobster

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all.

I've been away on business, hence the lack of progress on this build. With a pineal gland not sure whether it's in Boston or London, jet lag is an inevitable consequence. Of course, that does give me time to do a bit of model catch up....

(Very delicate) PE added to the inner fuselage walls, and initial paint layers on.

DSC011771_zps511db020.jpg

DSC011811_zps84935113.jpg

[DSC011821_zps5622d611.jpg

More updates as they happen.

Icarus

• Like 1

A bit more internal cockpit detail progress for the Egyptian Magister. A limited run Special Hobby-type kit, so some nice PE bits, but it doesn't really appear to fit very well together...

DSC012141_zps04d26549.jpg

Icarus

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the TSR-2, so can put some time into this.

Just sealed up the fuselage and attached fin, tailplanes, etc. Ready for priming...

DSC012271_zpsaa5919bd.jpg

DSC012281_zpsc6e27971.jpg

DSC012301_zpsa04873ed.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the colours on this.

Icarus

• Like 1

Thank you Natter.

Minor progress. Primed, blemishes addressed with Tippex, sanded, then re-primed.

DSC012341_zps45aa1b1f.jpg

Now the fun starts - aluminium, trainer yellow, and Egyptian colour schemes.

Icarus

• Like 1

OK. Gloss Aluminium now on, using the inimitable Tamiya TS-17 rattlecan..

DSC012371_zpsf9551f87.jpg

The Eagle-eyed will see what looks like Maskol over areas where one would expect heavy wear and tear. This will allow me to replicate paint chipping at areas of particular wear..

DSC012391_zps2c2d2da9.jpg

All being well, this should be the effect:

DSC011581_zps7c52b120.jpg

Now. the lovely yellow bit..

Icarus

OK. Disaster averted thanks to Martin and Max. Initial colours on. Clearly the nose is just tacked on at the moment, and there is more to add (windshields, exhaust, mass balances..), but this gives a feel for the base colours. Good old X11....

DSC012571_zps9adfb24b.jpg

DSC012551_zpsfb29e1d8.jpg

Thanks for looking (and preventing untoward chipping!)

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

Slight delay in this build - my new son has just been born, so obviously I have been a bit busy! However, the disturbed nights have allowed to put on the decals for the Egyptian Magister. As usual, the nose is blu tacked on:

DSC012601_zps9c157f84.jpg

DSC012611_zpsae9e3f69.jpg

DSC012631_zpsebc8269b.jpg

Now I need to think about some weathering for this. Any ideas, apart from pastels to replicate the sand deposition?

Icarus

Thank you Max. Will give it a go later tonight.

In the mean time, as a fan of Eduard pre-cut Kabuki masks I don't usually have to try masking the canopies myself. However, no such thing seems to exist for the Magister, so here goes...

DSC012661_zpsc3227642.jpg

And with Maskol...

DSC012671_zpscba8e9a2.jpg

Let's see how this works out...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

OK. Unless anyone can see anything glaringly wrong now, I'm calling this finished. Weathered with ProModeller clays, Tamiya pastels, then finished with a matt finish. Looks suitably scruffy for a trainer in the desert. I'll take some better piccies in the daylight later, then post them in the Gallery.

Thanks for following:

DSC012821_zps23c6e0e9.jpg

DSC012831_zps2da64185.jpg

DSC012841_zps26b5d769.jpg

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 2