Revell 1/48 Bf 109 F-2 'Friedrich' III./JG 2 - Finished

Jherek

Thanks!

A little progress update, all the decals are on. I sprayed the underside of the aircraft with 'Plasticote Clear Acrylic' (which I've used a long time ago) and I now have the worse orange peel effect ever... I swapped to humbrol satin varnish ontop and that appears to have dried ok.

I think I will leave it 24 hours before washing and a final sealing.

IMG_4049_zpsb842b5be.jpg

Ok, This is a macro photo which exaggerates the effect. It looks better with the human eye and you don't notice it unless the light catches it.

Now should I just apply a wash careful or try and sand this back tomorrow night?

Here it is, finished, well ok, I could do more but I've had enough of this one. It could do with a base and some ground crew...

IMG_4061_zpsefaae6f6.jpg

IMG_4068-1_zpsadfb6165.jpg

IMG_4068_zps34fb16b0.jpg

IMG_4070_zps53fcf948.jpg

IMG_4074_zps39797a89.jpg

IMG_4075_zpsbe521cca.jpg

IMG_4078_zps7c41babe.jpg

IMG_4079_zps7436adf6.jpg

IMG_4081_zps16c21723.jpg

IMG_4085_zps7d5d56a2.jpg

Hauptmann Hans "Assi" Hahn

Bf 109 F-2 W.Nr. 5749, III./JG 2, St.Pol, France, July 1941

Well, there it is. The first aircraft I have built in about 25 years, second attempt at airbrushing. I've learnt a lot with this one. I need to fine a good airbrushable gloss varnish and I need some decent washes.

I used an ancient pot of citadel 'nuln oil' wash which was the wrong consistency and left tide marks that I spent ages trying to remove. The right hand engine cowling is not glued on atm. I can't decide to put it up like on the left or glue it down, if I glue it down I have to shave the engine to get it flush. It could do with the aerial wire (thread), but what should I use?

If you want to see anymore photos, please ask and I'll take some more. Photographers - sorry about the white balance, I couldn't find my 18% grey card.

Thanks for watching and thanks for the help!

Simon

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 6

Thanks for the kind comments! glad you liked it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just happened across this build and I know this was a while back, I think your mottling looks just fine. Nice job on the whole kit. I have two ICM kits, which I heard someone say that this kit probably has it's heritage, and they don't have alignment tabs for assembly either. What a shame. Anyhow, good job.