Revell 1/48 Bf 109 F-2 'Friedrich' III./JG 2 - Finished

Jherek

IMG_3991_zpsa2aa3770.jpg

Acquired for less than a tenner from an amaz*n seller -

This is my first group build as I'm new to britmodeller, I've been having a look at the other builds and it appears I've got to raise my game!

Well, there's not a lot of plastic in this kit compared to the 1/35 tanks I've been building, it's a bit soft and bendy and covered flash.

So, to the bench (desk!).

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 2

IMG_3993_zps5d4645fc.jpg

Most of the fuselage and wings cleaned up. Cockpit ready for assembly.

It's hard to tell what's flash and what should be there with this kit. Also, no numbers on the sprue! that's what I call cost cutting!

• Like 1

If I remember correctly this is actually the ICM kit reboxed. I had trouble getting the front end to line up correctly on my ICM version but it included the engine which I didn't use. I don't see the engine parts in your photo though so maybe Revell didn't issue those parts?

Duncan B

The engine parts are still on the sprue and there is the option to leave the cowling open. I'm going to assemble the cockpit in two sections and the engine separately before I paint them. There's absolutely no alignment aides on the parts which surprised me.

Edited by Jherek

IMG_3994_zpscb6055de.jpg

Cockpit assembled. Wings drying. Now back to step four on the instructions :winkgrin:

IMG_3995_zps1871ceb8.jpg

As you can see, the parts do not all fit together properly. I had to sand the cockpit floorpan to fit into the bulkhead. The air intake is going to some sanding so it fits.

Engine next, and then I'll blue tack it all together to see if it fits before I prime it.

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 2

IMG_3996_zps1f731bbc.jpg

Engine assembled, cowling interior painted.

Note to self - wash sprues before you start!

IMG_3997_zpsac417171.jpg

Started painting.

IMG_3999_zps54b7a205.jpg

The turbo charger is not quite the right colour.

IMG_4001_zps273136ca.jpg

Mock up assembly.

IMG_4004_zpse6c5f288.jpg

Instrument panel looking good. That's enough for tonight.

• Like 3

IMG_4011_zps79baf709.jpg

Well that took a long time. Fitted guns, test fitted the engine mounts, removed the tubro, modified it, glued it back on. broke the instrument panel off the bulkhead. Glued it together, waited for it to dry.

Then I test fitted the front cowling and the panel that won't be open (on the far side), pulled the guns off, put them back again. Test fitted the front cowling, engine, far panel to the fuselage and wings.

This kit just does not fit together, however I will make it work!

I think the bulkhead / engine firewall needs to be flush with the fuselage for the cowling to fit properly, however the guide marks on the fuselage for the bulkhead are in the wrong place (1mm too far forward)

which makes the support bit for the instrutment panel too long and the floorpan of the cockpit is also a little too long.

I didn't think this model would be anything but straightforward!

• Like 2

Lunchtime glue fest -

IMG_4027_zps06a17bc4.jpg

It all lines up! (mostly) Well the cowling panels don't close as the engine is too big, but that's irrelevant as I will be displaying the cowling open.

IMG_4028_zps7da99c4b.jpg

IMG_4030_zps7f3e0053.jpg

IMG_4031_zps141ea2bb.jpg

Next up, sanding and filling and more sanding.

• Like 4

Thanks for the positive comments, I've not made much progress tonight apart from masking and priming the model.

IMG_4033_zpsc7d289c0.jpg

Now I can see all the imperfections in the plastic with a layer of primer (tamiya fine surface primer) on but I don't feel like sanding them out, I just want to paint it now and I think paint scheme will hide it anyway.

This will be the second model I've airbrushed and far more complicated than the panther tank. So any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

The kit comes with two suggested paint schemes, the second of which I'm going to follow. This in RLM 76 Lichtblau under wings and fuselage sides, RLM 75 on the wings and upper fuselage with RLM 74 as a distruptive camo and light mottling on the fuselage sides. RLM 04 gleb for the wrap around yellow nose and rudder.

Ok, this is how I think I should paint this, feedback please!

BTW, I'm using Xtracylix paint for this model. I've not used them before.

Airbrush BLM 76 on the lower surfaces and all the fuselage, mask the fuselage and spray the upper wings / horziontal stab with the lighter 75, create a paper mask(s) for the distruptive darker RLM 74 on the wings/h-stab and spray that. Mask the upper wings and freehand spray the RLM 75 near the top, add a bit of RLM 74 on top of that. Do the mottle effect with lighter RLM 75, I'm thinking of making a paper stencil held off the surface by blue tack? Finally mask and spray the RLM 04 yellow over the front (probably several costs of this).

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 1

A little progress tonight, pre-shading done. RLM 76 LichtBlau applied.

IMG_4034_zpse44e0d7d.jpg

IMG_4039_zps1c956af0.jpg

IMG_4041_zps67b10492.jpg

Second time lucky. The pre-shading is noticeable on this model. The effect is subtle and changes depending on the angle and quality of light.

I'm pleased with this one.

Tomorrow evening I'll do and an even coat of RLM 75 on the upper surfaces.

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 4

IMG_4042_zps7864078e.jpg

Another layer on. Disprutive camo next. I did the mottling freehand in the end, I probably should have made a template.

It's all practice...

Expensive custom mask applied now :winkgrin:

• Like 2

IMG_4043_zps2faff72c.jpg

IMG_4044_zps306ea5a3.jpg

Second attempt at airbrushing, mostly successful. The masks worked quite well. I need to spend hours practising mottling. Hopefully I can win a 1/48 Tamiya fw 190 a3 on ebay and do that next for the group build.

Still lots of stuff todo. I've been avoiding the canopy. I think I'll mask it and brush paint it.

Thought for the day, primer is mandatory.

• Like 4

It's getting closer, so time for a little teaser -

IMG_4046_zps96d19036.jpg

Look at the detail! :evil_laugh::winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

• Like 4

Thanks! Hopefully I can make the wait worthwhile. Progress has slowed while I struggle with 60+ tiny decals.

This is the last time I'm using astonish (a Klear alternative). I've used it before under /over decals but this time I sprayed the whole model. I've ended up with a rougher finish

than brushing. Half way through the decals I've stopped and sanded some of the astonish back...

I think I will apply a satin varnish before washing and weathering. (I can't remember if I'm doing this stuff in the right order).