Revell 1/32 Red Arrows advice needed

Lone Star

I need help with my Hawk build.

I have (foolishly?) agreed to build a hawk for Bournemouth Flying Club to auction in August at their annual event to raise money for the John Egging trust.

For those who don't know, John (Red 4) was killed at Bournemouth when his hawk XX260 crashed as the team returned to the airport after a display at the sea front as part of the Bournemouth air festival.

I have built winning models before for competitions as an air cadet and later as a cadet instructor (I'm 48) but this is somehow very different. I am paralysed by indecision over what level of detail and even which airframe to model.

This is where I need advice from you folks. I have a limited time to devote to this so what mods or detailing will give me most impact? Do I use photo etch detailing or a complete resin replacement for the cockpit tub?

Pilot or not?

Aircraft will be parked so flaps up/down? What about the air brake?

The aircraft will presented in a display case so very close scrutiny may not be possible.

As for the airframe, is it bad taste to model XX260 or should I stick to one of the current fleet? (possibly XX306 which I believe was / is the replacement Red 4).

And do I stick to the standard scheme or the new 50th anniversary colours? http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955749-red-arrows-50th-display-season-colours/

I know somewhere out there there are far more experienced modellers than me who have done this kind of thing and I would dearly value your suggestions and advice.

I was in the control tower (fortunately not controlling) at the time of the accident so this means a lot to me and I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Personally I would be asking about doing XX260 as a tribute to John since it is to help raise money for the trust. I'm sure it would be appreciated. I would also think of doing it as detailed as possible if you have the time to do it.

If you want to see what can be done with the Revell Hawk check out this build for inspiration.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65566-revell-bae-hawk-t1-red-arrows/

I think all the cockpit is some plasticard additions for the side wall detail as well as some seat belts.

Ideally flaps would need to be down on a parked aircraft and the air brake is normally open. As the flaps aren't included in the kit you can scratchbuild them or I think CMK do some. The above build also shows the extra detail that can be aded to enhance this kit such as lengthening the intakes on top of the fuselage and adding rivets to the rear fuselage.

Hope this is useful.

I think that building XX260 would be a fitting tribute to John.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Andy,

Good on you for doing this. I'm pretty sure anything that you do will be appreciated.

My £0:02p worth, since the model will be shown in a display case I think I'd pose it flying.

Seeing his Red Arrow in it's element is how it should be. Clear skies..... :angel:

Use a clear acrylic rod through the jet pipe and have it banked slightly. Given the time constraints you would n't need to alter any flaps or flying surfaces, you can have the gear up and airbrake in any position you choose. You'll need a pilot figure ideally (I think MasterCasters do one?If not, I have a 1/32nd scale Tamiya USAF pilot figure or two you could have to adapt)) but the canopy will be closed so a huge amount of extra detailling should n't be necessary.

Mods to the airframe are a matter of choice. To a layperson, the Revell kit looks like a Hawk straight out of the box so any airframe mods may be time consuming and superfluous depending on who is likely to view the finished model.

I'd go for Red #4 as the subject as it is a fitting tribute to the man.

good luck with your project and I hope you raise alot of money in the auction.

Cheers.

p.s, thanks Mark

Hi Andy,

I've built two of these Revell Hawks now, and they go together very well with a bit of care. The Hawk has a large cockpit which invites closer inspection, so if it's to be parked with the canopy open I'd put extra effort into the instrument panels and harnesses. I have used a photoetch set for the bracing bars in the cockpit but to be honest it's easier to make them from strips of styrene cut to length. The seams around the intakes will need some filler, and take care not to use too much cement on the tail and wingtips, as the styrene is very soft and thin, and easily deformed by an aggressive liquid glue.

I agree that showing it in flight would give a more dynamic effect and save a lot of time with undercarriage and flaps. The undercarriage doors can easily be fitted in the closed position, so I have no idea why Revell didn't include a pilot figure.

I strongly suggest taking time to wash all the parts before you start, as I had a lot of trouble with primer not taking. This is the thread that resulted http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948795-paint-repelling-revell-hawk/?hl=hawk

There are other threads and walkround pictures on here that I found helpful and inspirational. I also bought a Flory Models DVD that goes through a build of this kit, and gives some good advice. I'll be happy to lend it to you if you PM me with your address.

Best of luck with your tribute.

Paul

Thanks for all your input, it looks like XX260 it shall be.

Geedubelyer I like your posed flying idea; I know someone who could do me a curved acrylic rod to fit into the base properly.

Bobski you are quite right about the spelling, I hadn't registered that spell check had 'corrected' it for me.

If I can come up with something half as good as the models on here I will consider it a job well done, thank you to all of you.

Here's my pennies worth:

To make it easier for yourself, how about 'blacking out' the canopy - so that you would not have to detail it and, you would not have people worrying that it was Jon's aircraft you were representing?

Also, if you make the supporting rod 'white', it could be taken as a Smoke Trail - which would be a typical Red Arrow pose.

Good luck.

Cheers, Brian

Really useful thread as I have one of these in my stash. I'll follow it closely.

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted but Xtracrylix do a RAF Red Arrows Red (ref: XA1014), which may speed things up - I have a pot in anticipation!

Also I read (on this very forum) about an LED lighting set from Tirydium Models that could add a different dimension. See

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955000-lighting-kit-for-the-revel-132-bae-hawk-t-1/ or http://www.freewebstore.org/Tirydium-Models/BAe_Hawk_T1_Lighting_Kit_for_Revell_132_Kit/p2467900_11488296.aspx.

Hope this helps & bring on the useful tips!

Cheers,

Andrew

Beardylong thanks for the heads up on paint colour, I've just ordered two pots - it is a big chunk of red after all!

I have always struggled to get the correct shade so it's nice to see the proper colour.

Good chap your suggestion is good, it would look like one of those expensive fibreglass models.

Despite the time pressure I have decided (for now anyway) to give the aircraft a fully detailed cockpit.

I've ordered the PE kit but was wondering does anybody have experience of the CMK resin kit?

What interests me about that are the seats, are they any better than the kit ones after a bit of work ie seat cushions added etc?

Thanks for your help

Andy

What interests me about that are the seats, are they any better than the kit ones after a bit of work ie seat cushions added etc?

The rear seat will be 'soloed' if there is just the front seat jockey present, meaning the rear seat apron would be fitted which would cover the seat cushions and harness saving you some work in detailing the seat.