2nd Entry, Airfix 1/72 Zero - FINISHED

MPaul

Well thids is my second entry for the GB as I have finished my FW190.

I picked this up when home in Newcastle at the start of the month, from Fenwicks (which was the place the first ever model I made when I was a boy was purchased from)

1393006433_picsay-1393006433_zpsbe1mzama

1393006495_picsay-1393006495_zpsm69gsvuy

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 3

I shall watch this with interest - I've seen many great builds of Zeros on BM recently and may have to try one of these at some point.

Nothing like pressure! :)

Hopefully my modest skills wont disappoint then.

• Like 1

I have done some reading of other peoples builds on this, and think (or at least hope) I have a good idea of any areas of potential problems, but it does seem like a good kit.

I think colours are always the bone of contention on Zeros, and I have come up with my own plans which should end up making it look like a zero.

Going to to the interior green using Zinc Chromate mixed with a little green to darken it slightly but still leave a slightly yellow tinge. Will be doing the IP black (this was how a restored aircraft had it) so dont know how accurate it truly is, but you won't see much of the interior when its all joined up anyway.

Wheel bays will be done with a aluminium (either Tamiya or Revell) with a thin coat or two of Tamiya x-13 to try and replicate the 'Aotake' colour.

The main aircraft will be painted as per the kit instruction with the provided Humbrol 90 ( I may add a little white to this).

It is a great little kit, I bought one of these for the GB, then got impatient and started it! Justed picked mine up again, hoping to get it painted in the next few days....I've started too many kits this year, so trying to get them finished.

Like you, I'm thinking the Humbrol 90 looks not quite right, so I'll be following this one to see how you handle the colours.

Rob.

if you ll need some images for details or you ll want to do some more research about the colours, let me know, i can give you some links/images :) but if you build it just fo r fun, i would use colours just to not be totaly out of hand (like full black cockpit or so..), no need to be totaly exact if it is going to be fo fun (thats my view, how i do it with my kits :) )

You learn a new thing every day. I send carpets to Fenwicks every week and thought they were just a home furnishings store. Never crossed my mind that they would have model kits. Need to get my driver to do some shopping for me! :winkgrin:

I wasn't sure if they still did them, so was pleased when I found they did. Always a childhood memory going up through the furniture and lighting department to get to the toys!

Will be making a start on this tomorrow (Saturday) all I did today was give the parts a clean with soapy water.

congratz to 500th post ;)

back to Mpaul and his zero - as Alan said, the propeler is a bit out of shape, but it was not hard to sort out. Only other main problem was a bit worse fit of completed wing to completed fuselage, there was little gap at one side. But i got rid of it by simply carefuly sanding the innner side of the wing there, untill it was enough and the joint was okish :)

I cant think of anything else what would be problem by the kit :)

Love the Zero, good luck with this - don't get too stressed about colour schemes; remember - interpretation is personal, not a team sport :-)

Pete

• Like 1

Yeah, I am generally quite comfortable with using a bit of artistic license when painting my models, unless I am making a specific subject that I want to be accurate (such as my Tornado Gr4)

If it looks like I think it could have (or should have) I will be happy.

Did the Japanese have any nightfighter schemes at all?

I was searching for nightfighter A6M2 scheme too, but i did read there were very few used for NF and these were quite similar to the day fighters, in the terms of equipement and camouflage. I cannt give you any link though, because i didnt save it here as i was not going to use that info :(

Not to worry. Think I will go largely with the kit scheme, as foe that price, if I use the included paints, it's almost free modelling.

My two starter sets come in at less than a Tenner combined, so if I don't even use much in the way of my existing paints, that's pretty good IMO.

It's rather nice. May even go as far to say that it's my favourite so far of the new tools I have built.

Just started painting the canopy, and the Humbrol 90 is interesting to say the least.