B-29 Bomb Bay PE Set 1:48

Mike

If there was an Eduard Bomb Bay set for the 1:48 Revell Monogram B-29?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy it?

• Yes!
    • No
    • Depending on cost, yes

I've been speaking to Eduard about a bomb bay set for the Revell-Monogram 1:48 B-29 that's currently readily available again, and they are certainly considering it, but aren't convinced that enough people would buy it, given the size and complexity of the likely set, and the fact that it is not a new tooling. They asked me to gauge interest amongst the members, so here I am.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

1. It seems a shame to deck out the full airframe and leave the bomb bay untouched.
  2. The bomb bay is the most visible part of the kit if you are able to look underneath - it's a BIG hole in the belly (a pair of them, in fact).
  3. What about two sets? One for a full bomb load, and another for an empty bay, differing between what would be seen when bombs were installed.
  4. However, if you put a full bomb load in there, what will be seen? I've not built mine yet, so can't speculate.

Weigh in with your thoughts, and don't forget to vote. I've added the third option for the skin-flints/careful modellers amongst us, as it might colour Eduard's judgement about what they provide. :) I've provided Eduard with a link to the thread, so your input will be seen ;)

Here's my review of what's available from Eduard so far (worth a look just for the sheer aftermarket goodness of it all :Tasty: )

It strikes me a strange how they've done a set for the rear gunner's compartment, which will be very hard to see through the windows, yet a gaping open bomb bay(s) doesn't appear to be an option for them! :shrug:

Having just had a wander around their site apparently the set for the Voyager spacecraft was the hit of the year. I think it's now pretty much impossible to predict what will and won't sell, even more than it used to be.

Regarding the bomb load what would you want? HE, incendiaries, a mix? As my planned model is Kee Bird I don't need a bomb bay set but would buy one for the next B-29 I'll build as a result!!

The proposed set is purely for the bay alone, as there's already a set to spice up the bomb load provided with the kit, adding new fins and spinners to each of the kit parts. Have a shufty at the review for that set, and the one for the Nukes. Makes it rather tempting to build them up and display them in front of whatever Super Fort you end up building. I really am hankering after doing one of the early camouflaged ones :)

A cutaway is the way to go - there are several excellent examples out there on the 'net. If I ever build mine....

Incidentally, does the Eduard set replicate the fault with the kit rear compartment? As presented, it is not for an operational aircraft. They didn't actually have the bunk-beds, the compartment was used for the radar-operator...

Voted for a yes for this. Although may be a bit optimistic. I have aftermarket decals for 3 1/48 B-29s. Now I have a bit more room than most as I can put them in my office, but even I am shuddering at the thought of how much space 3 B-29s would take up. (Wonder if I could set up a vat of silver and just dip all the parts in it?)

Maybe you could get a custom acrylic stand made for them so you could stack them one above eachother? :coolio:

I know you said this in jest, but it got me to thinking. It also didn't help I was in my server room in my office (where my second stash also resides) looking at my B-29 kit box that has the B-36 kit on top of it. I kinda like your suggestion. In about one and half the space of one model, you could do a formation flying with the bomb bay doors open for 3 kits. Must experiment on a smaller scale first, but you are brilliant Mike!!

• 1 month later...

At least two distinct Bomb bay configurations - one for conventional, and one for the nuclear bombers - I believe, IIRC, that the 509th Composite Group bombers also had a different style of bomb-bay doors fitted. Since Eduard has already tarted up Little Boy and Fat Man....

Byron

• 1 month later...