1/48 Testors Howard DGA-4 "Ike" - pylon racer dio

AndyC

Hi all - my first entry for the Less than Tenner GB. It's the 1/48 Testors Howard DGA-4 built as the second of two only "Ike" aka NR56Y and as raced in the 1934 National Air Races where it won two 5th places.

It's a simple kit and included the racing pylon - however it's fixing to it made in a vertical bank over the top and I wanted to show it at the start of a turn and the beginning of a roll to a full turn. The pylon is simulated wood and the panelling is plastic card. This was masked and sprayed into the chequers. The base is a 3" square pine base with some grass matting glued on. The a/c is supported on 3mm extruded clear rod.

The decals are the kit's and the rigging is 3lb fishing line painted with silver. Humbrol 22 Gloss White, with a Tamiya F4U pilot shoe-horned in. The prop blur is a circle of acetate sheet with the shape of a prop blur masked on and then gently sanded to provide the 'blur'. I made a prop boss from the tip of a AIM-7 missile (the real Ike didn't have a prop boss - but there was no other way to mount the acetate sheet!)

A nice little addition to the display shelf and infinitely better than how the kit would have you display her...thanks for looking

007_zps0ede91cf.jpg

008_zpsb8e7568d.jpg

009_zpsc3527b8e.jpg

010_zps04dcd42f.jpg

011_zps7264babd.jpg

012_zps8958d3e2.jpg

013_zps1181a5aa.jpg

014_zpse0f00011.jpg

015_zps7814cd48.jpg

016_zps53830fdb.jpg

017_zps3aeecb2b.jpg

• Like 6

My first try at this method. Basically cut the disc and then mask a prop shape and then gently sand the bit between the tape. It took a couple of attempts but I will be using it again