1/72nd Boeing P-8 Poseidon (737-800)

This is the Welsh Models 1/72nd scale Boeing P-8 Poseidon, which is based on the Boeing 737-800 airframe.

It is a mixed media kit, with a vacformed fuselage, resin wings, tail and engines, with white metal undercarriage. Decals are from the kit. Paints were Xtracolour.

These kits are not particularly easy to build. The plastic is very thin, and as the fuselage is not moulded in its full length, so the joining of the rear section to the forward part is a little tricky. Joining resin to vacformed parts is also a little challenging. I had to lengthen the undercarriage as the engines touched the ground - I think the nose wheel is still a little too short. All the aerials were resin and were provided in the kit, but I had to scratch-build the sensor under the tail, as well as add small two radar fairings on the side of the fuselage from Milliput.

DSC_4860.jpg

DSC_4863.jpg

DSC_4865.jpg

DSC_4866.jpg

DSC_4868.jpg

However, these kits are great fun, and provide a good challenge which is what I like. I must commend Welsh Models for producing these kits, otherwise I'd never be able to add aircraft such as this to my collection.

Rob

• Like 34

Lovely build Rob, i have one I am tempted to start. You are the second person to mention the gear legs are too short.

So how much did to add to the legs and was it to all 3.

I am contemplating a gear up build with a scratch built open weapons bay.

Lovely build Rob, i have one I am tempted to start. You are the second person to mention the gear legs are too short.

So how much did to add to the legs and was it to all 3.

I am contemplating a gear up build with a scratch built open weapons bay.

Thank you very much - I raised the main gear by about 6mm but it could have done with more. I didn't raise the nose gear, and this is why I think the engine fronts sit a bit too low still.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How did I miss this excellent build, I've built a few of their 1/72 kits, and as you said trying to glue resin wings on a vacform body is not great, I personally I would prefer vacform wings and the vertical tail section to be vacform with the main body