Aero L-29 Delfín - 1:48 AMK - Complete

Mike

As they would say in Vodochody, Mike: Dobrou chut (bon appetit)!

Staying on the same theme, that is one tasty-looking cockpit.

Kind regards,

Adam

Edited by Vally G

Thanks Adam :) Well, the clamps are on, and fit seems to be pretty good. I'd spotted a few weights baulking the cockpit fit earlier, so all the parts are going together well. The nose cover needed a little thinning of the hinge area, but as I spotted that before gluing, that wasn't a problem. Now we wait :hmmm:

Meantime I'll prime and paint the wheels and bay doors, build up the drop-tanks and think of what to build next. Tamiya Lanc? B-29? Summit else?

Thanks guys :)

Dirk - all that work is now totally invisible! :doh:

I should get the seams sorted this morning, as they were looking pretty good last night after a bit of scraping and gentle sanding. Once that's done, I'll glue the wings on, and we'll be getting there ;)

Got the wings on today after sanding and polishing the seams to a reasonable standard, with the fit being improved by shaving some styrene off the trailing edge of the mating surface. I also added the nose gear bay door, which needed shimming ever-so-slightly to prevent drop-through into the bay due to the small mating surface. I've started adding the intakes and so forth to the fuselage sides too, plus the PE parts on the underside, which I rolled on a piece of kitchen roll to replicate the curve of the fuselage.

airframe1.jpg

airframe2.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Tom Mark - check your PMs for a Q&D guide to photographing things without tearing your hair out (we both need to preserve all our remaining follicles, afterall!). ^_^

The canopy has been masked and the windscreen glued, the gap filled with black CA (that's CA tainted with black pigment), and sanded back to smooth (I hope). The rest of the canopy has been tacked in place with GS-Hypo, which although it gets a good grip, will yield before damaging plastic, so makes for a good tacking compound. I've installed the air-brakes in the closed position, and the fit there was really good :) I've decided to do the camo GDR aircraft and have done a little photo research to check a few things. First thing I noticed was that the gear legs are painted the same colour as the underside, as are the insides of the gear bay doors. Whether this is an addition at the museum (a guess based on the yellowing of the canopy, but fresh paint job) I don't know, but if anyone knows better, I'm all ears :)

The flaps are prepared and those sink marks that I mentioned in my review have been coated with some filler to get rid of 'em, which will mean I can't prime for a little while longer, or can I? :hmmm: Maybe prime the flaps later? I've identified the colours used, as I have quite a collection of Gunze paints these days. The brown is give as an FS number only, FS30117 and I'm having difficulty tracking down a similar colour in the Gunze range. I might use H72 Dark Earth if I can't find an alternative, based on the assumption that as I'm going to weather it quite a bit, the colours will be lighter than factory issue. I'm wingin' it really in respect of the brown, and would welcome any input from someone wise :)

airframe3.jpg

• Like 3

I believe FS30117 is there or thereabouts the correct shade of brown.

That's my problem Luis - There doesn't seem to be much that correlates with that FS code, other than a Lifecolor shade I don't have. :hmmm:

2386.png suggests an earth red, and the paint chart I usually use might have mis-typed the FS entry as FS30117, as it doesn't come up with much for 30177. It doesn't help much that 30117 in Lifecolor comes up with Earth Red (UA306), so they're either similar shades, or someone's got something wrong somewhere. My head's about to explode :owww:

Danny - thanks. I think that's settled me on using Earth Red I picked out of the paint cupboard a minute ago. I'd have liked to have used Gunze, but they don't seem to have a shade nearby :shrug:

I finally managed to get the primer on this one after what feels like forever away from it. It's only just gone on, and I've not had proper chance to inspect it for blemishes, which I'm really not capable of at the moment. Tired out from a rare visit to the outside. :sleep_1:

airframe4.jpg

airframe5.jpg

Alclad as usual, and I think I'm not too happy with the nose bay join, so will have to think what to do with it tomorrow. Concentration is shot, so that's all for tonight :)

• Like 3

Thanks chaps :) Looking at the colours in your link Phil, I'd say I'm pretty close, so I'll stick with what I've got for now. Anyone know the chapter & verse on the colour of the gear legs and wheel bays on the GDR machines? I've struck out finding anything in-service with a decent pic of the wheel bay or legs, so I think I'm going to go with grey inners and legs, with blue outers to match the undersides. :)

A quick buff and polish showed up a few panel lines that needed refining, and a few other blemishes, so I'll be doing a bit more priming in a minute, then let the paint gas-off for an hour before I start painting the undersides :frantic: