Aero L-29 Delfín - 1:48 AMK - Complete

Mike

This little jet trainer from t'other side of the iron curtain piqued my interest when it arrived yesterday from AMK for review, and today I got chance to break out the sprue cutters and put some parts together. The cockpit was first, and on the inner sides of the ejection seat frames there are a couple of ejector pin marks that need filling. There are a few more dotted around the cockpit, but after some test-fitting, it looks like none of them will be seen when complete, thanks to some careful placement. I'm quite pleased with the detail in the cockpit out of the box, which should look good once I've slapped a bit of paint on. :) I've dry-assembled the nose gear bay too, and again, the ejector pin marks won't be seen there - good job too, as some of them are on compound internal curves! :frantic: Everything fits together really nicely, which I kind of expected from looking at the parts on the sprues, and progress has been quite quick for me.

I also test-fitted the wing, checking how the intakes came together, and what does and doesn't need filling. Again, fit is good, and apart from the seam on the curved lip, there's not going to be much to fill, and not much past the lip wil be seen - it's a small space, and pretty dark! The wing root fits snugly, and the splitter plate should do too, once it's butted up to the rest of the intake. The T-tail is just clipped in place too, although the elevator has a fairly sizeable sink mark on the underside where the aerodynamic fairing is on the opposite side. Some Tamiya Basic Putty is on the job, and should set up over night. Remind me to get a new tube though, as mine's going a bit stiff :(

The jet-pipe is a single piece, and has a raised mould seam at the end of the straight section, which I removed by sanding it back with a piece of wet'n'dry wrapped round a stick, then polished up with some micromesh cloth wrapped around the same stick. Pretty easy, and again, not much past the lip will be seen, and I'm not even going to bother painting the exhaust trunking, it's so dark in there :ninja: I'm planning on leaving the nose bay closed, so will remove the equipment in there to add some weight before I close up the bay cover, which again seems to fit really well in both positions.

Apart from the growing mass of small parts on my desk, this is how it looks so far. Quite a pretty little thing as jet trainers go :)

build1.jpg

• Like 10

Hi there,

You might want to add the rudder pedals as they are conspicuous by their absence. Also I haven't fully checked on mine yet but does the kit include the horizontal splitter plates just inside the intakes?

Regards,

Andy

Thanks for the comments and input. :) Andy - the splitter plates are there, and so are the rudder pedals. They're moulded as little blocks at the front of the foot wells, but I've a suspicion they won't be seen anyway. I'll check out that site you linked If they can be seen though & come up with a solution :)

Having seen this kit at the local club night night I was tempted to add it in the stash ('cause there's only a hundred and odd there already so it'll save them getting lonely) so will make interesting viewing.

We seem to be very well served by fairly new companies releasing quality kits covering subjects that were previously unavailable. A golden age for modelling as Enzo says.

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately these little blocks bear no resmblance to the real rudder pedals. Just google some cockpit pics or look at the flight manual to see how they should be. And you're right splitter plates are there but they shouldn't curve all the way back like they do.

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/arpad_pinter/l-29/images/l-29_delfin_021_of_129.jpg

HTH
Andy

Edited by andym

really no glue yet???

At that point, only the cockpit parts were glued together, and the intake splitter plates were glued to the fuselage halves. The wings and tail are now glued and the intakes fettled, with everything covered in black primer waiting for me to paint them grey. I'm not sure what colour the intakes were though, as the only pics I've seen are showing them to be the underside colour. Anyone got any glues? Grey, like everything else, or summit different? :)

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately these little blocks bear no resmblance to the real rudder pedals. Just google some cockpit pics or look at the flight manual to see how they should be. And you're right splitter plates are there but they shouldn't curve all the way back like they do.

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/arpad_pinter/l-29/images/l-29_delfin_021_of_129.jpg

HTH

Andy

I've seen them now. You are right of course, but I suspect they won't be seen. I'll see what it all looks like when it's painted up, and if I can see some merit in doing so, I'll scratch a couple of pairs up. :)

Mike, I help out at Bruntingthorpe, so if you need any pictures of the one we have, please let me know :)

Thanks chap - could you poke your head in the intakes and check the colour for me perhaps? A couple of pics of the rudder pedals would also be much appreciated :worthy:

It's a while since I've been to Brunty, and I honestly couldn't tell you if I saw the Delfin while I was there :hmmm:

• Like 1

Its a great fitting kit......almost everything goes together well.......as to rudder pedals.......Yeah it's a bit off compared to the real deal.....that was one of the first things I noticed in comparing it to the planet kit......anyways I did not bother as it's hard to see anything down there......looking forward to your build......

what markings are you going for ?

best regards

mr b

It is a bit dark in there, isn't it? Sometimes adding colour will improve visibility, so I'll wait until I've painted the pit before I decide if I CBA ^_^

Not considered markings yet. A quick flick through and I'm somewhat tempted by the Iraqi one, but camo would also be fun. :hmmm:

Thanks chap - could you poke your head in the intakes and check the colour for me perhaps? A couple of pics of the rudder pedals would also be much appreciated :worthy:

It's a while since I've been to Brunty, and I honestly couldn't tell you if I saw the Delfin while I was there :hmmm:

Will do, hopefully this weekend, if not this weekend the following as we're due up there :)

Cool, thanks. Can't promise I won't get carried away and paint the intakes silver by then, which seems a likely colour from what little can be seen. I'm currently painting the cockpit and ejection seats, to which I've added some old LionRoar US PE seatbelts that look similar to what's installed on the real 'uns :)

• Like 1

I managed to get some work done on the cockpit, and have opted to go for something that's a bit lived in to cover up for my lack of talent :ninja: The tub and seats were sprayed with three shades of the basic grey, as were the wheel bays and the nose bay, and then I set to work on the detail painting with Lifecolor and Vallejo paints mostly, applied using my trusty W&N Series 7 000 brush. The seatbelts are only approximates of what I've seen, but they'll do unless you happen to be an expert on the model, in which case :tease:

Everything is just push-fitted together at the moment, and I can see from the photos that the rear-seat coaming needs a touch up on the black grey part. I'm not bothering to scratch the rudder pedals, as I don't think they'll be seen by anyone but the most intrepid observer, and life is too short to worry about that :)

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

It's almost ready to be closed up, which I'll do once I've finished fettling :)

• Like 8

I managed to get some work done on the cockpit, and have opted to go for something that's a bit lived in to cover up for my lack of talent :ninja:

'Lack of talent'?! Are you pulling my chain! That looks awesome Mike! :worthy:

I decided to add a bit of colour to the rear deck, and as mentioned earlier I tidied up the coaming paint. I'd also added some Tamiya clear green (X-25) around the edge of the gun-sight glass to give it a bit of interest, and a dot of Klear on each instrument dial to bring it back to a glossy finish. The cockpit is glued into one side of the fuselage, as is the nose gear bay, and is taped in place to get the fit right while the glue cures. I need to put some nose weight in before I close up the fuselage, so it should make the job easier. Here's a quick pic of the bits & bobs all tacked together. The wings are held in place by their own tight fit, as the intake trunking and attachment tab give a good snug fit.

cockpit3.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the fuselage closed up tomorrow, after which there's really not going to be much to do before I can paint it. I'll need to hide the seams of course, and fair in the windscreen, but the wing roots aren't going to need much work at all by the looks of things. Think I'd better start building up the landing gear next :hmmm:

• Like 8

Cheers fellas :)

A couple of years ago, I had an angle-poise light fail on me, and kept some of the parts as spares in case I ever needed one for the remaining one I had. I also acquired another from somewhere, and decided to find out what was in one of the bases one day. It turns out it was rammed full of tiny circular punchings from some sheet metal process, each of which was 3.2mm diameter, and 0.7mm thick. They're really rather useful as nose weights (finally he gets to the point!), so I've just spent a few minutes gluing a number of them to the nose and forward fuselage of the Delfin, to keep her nose on the deck. I also glued the jetpipe in position, which I'll paint in situ later.

fuselage1.jpg

fuselage2.jpg

You can see I've opted to paint the intakes silver, and how far into the fuselage they intrude. Once the fuselage is closed up, it's a coal-hole in there, with no way of spotting an engine face if there was one, so all is good. The next job is to close up the fuselage, which I'll do after a spot of lunch :eat:

• Like 5