Gundam MSM-07S 'Z'GOK' 1/144 - HGUC - completed 10-3-14

Afternoon all, this, is going to be my third and final entry in the to LTAT GB; and what a crackerjack it is;

Gundam MSM-07S 'Z'GOK' (char's custom) in 1/144 scale, from the HG Universal Century Gundam universe.

I have never built one of these before (I only have a basic knowledge of gundam and gunpla also), I am looking forward to this build -won't be started until I have finished both of the other projects I have on the go (a week or so, I reckon).

Without further ado, here are the (slightly blurry) box and bits shots!

boxshot-msm-07s_zps107bf646.jpg

contents-msm-07s_zpsa35c873b.jpg

Pete

• Like 2

Yay another Gunpla!! There isn't that many parts to it is there?? Still it'll be a good place to learn how to build a Gunpla. Will you be painting it?? Also will you be taking it apart once you've figured out how it fits to sort out the join lines??

If you need any help give just shout, there's bound to be someone who knows, if not I will help ;)

Looking forward to this build :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

It will be getting the full treatment :-)

Found a great beginner guide to gunpla - breaks it down into sections, it needs my whole attention though, hence starting this one after the others are done!

Still got the challenger and HMS Astute to finish first - been working on challenger today.

Ok, the sub is finished - just need to take decent daylight photos!

So, without further ado, I bring you - the first (poorly lit and blurryTM) shot of the small start I have made on the Gundam...

A couple of joints and two feet so far - small steps (!)

set-1_zps89f26f8b.jpg

The fit so far is superb, you really do have to concentrate on the instructions, apart from being in Japanese they are also very intense (a lot of info in a small area).

The plastic that this kit is moulded out of is superb, sands easily and fits really well.

Back in a couple of days with more updates (out all day tomorrow with mrs Pete; hence, no playing).

Pete

• Like 1

You've made a good start on the Z'gok there Pete. Only one *little* correction needed, it's not a Gundam, it's a mobile suit. Gundams where only used (initially) by the Earth Federation Forces, not the Principality of Zeon. But it's a minor point. In my... 20 odd years of making HGUC models, I've yet to find a bad one really. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm glad the arms/legs are the first things to be done. ;) looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

Small update today - have the feet and leg sections sorted (filled in joins where needed), this will not look too much until it is all painted, a lot of seperate sections to be done so excuse the 'bittiness' of it all until the final unveiling :-)

set2_zps7013b452.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good there Pete :) nice to see someone has attempted the build it first then paint it routine. Usually I see modellers build it, take it all apart then paint. I never knew how they solved the join issue without sanding all of the paint away. Looking forward to seeing some more of this little Z'Gok :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

An update today - an exploded view of my Z'Gok in all it's component glory - ready to be primered and painted in sections!

exploded_zps3d8bfddd.jpg

• Like 3

Small update today - all parts painted (in bits), for the metal areas I have used mr Metal Iron (then polished up with cotton buds), the red sections are Revell Aquacolour Carmine Red and the 'pinker' area is Carmine red; with about 10% white added. The claws have been coated in mr Metal Aluminium (and polished slightly).

Three thin layers were applied rather than heavy coating. I added a thin wash of Vallejo Brown ink, (25 parts water to 1 drop ink) to all red and pink areas, just to filter it.*

Next up will be assembling sub sections, coat of clear - bit of pen work, photos, then time to 'smack it up' a bit.

* photo taken before ink filter!

paint-1_zps7324d452.jpg

• Like 3

Looking really good there Pete. I think you'll get yours finished before me. :). Like the Metalic painted bits, might have to pick some of that stuff up. :)

Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

Its cracking stuff Dazz - have to be careful when handling though as Mr metal just loves fingerprints!!

Righto, stage 2 complete - all lined (with 0.1 and 0.2 fineliners) and painted. All stuck together (for now) - had a problem with the left arm, the inner socket coupling snapped; had to glue it - one movable arm and one not so much!

This is the pristine look - next time you see it this suit will be battle scarred and dirty!

Just noticed in the rear photo (which is blurry as well - double win)- made a mess of the tank seams - ho-hum.

clean1_zps3054e207.jpg

clean2_zpsa3745ab2.jpg

clean3_zpsaf40a23b.jpg

• Like 2

That looks fantastic Pete!! Really liking the look of the metallic parts!! (I will be giving that stuff a try and will be watching the finger prints too! lol ). Just one thing I'd like to say, this Z'gok was/is the personal mobile suit (Not Gundam) of Char Aznabel (or Quattro depending what show you watch). Being a commander, his suit would of been pristine before a mission. However, obviously it would take a beating during a mission (think it was used at Jaburo?) it would not be well used/worn like a A6M Zero worn. However, it is your model/suit... You get the point... So do it however you feel. I just wanted to point that out incase you wanted to go for the "authentic" look. Either way I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure it'll be fantastic!! :D

Kind Regards

Dazz

Also, was it a polycap that broke?? If it was I have a few spares if you wanted to try sort that out??

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 1

Thanks guys!

A real interesting subject Snapper - different, but very rewarding to do.

No polycap Dazz - was the actual socket - my heavy handedness I think.

I was thinking of going authentic but then I had in my mind a very heavily damaged mobile suit so I think I am going to double fantasy it up :-)

• Like 1

Calling this little cracker finished!

I had such a lot of fun on this model - a complete change from the norm for me - I decided to build this mobile suit as to how I imagined it after a heavy campaign (though I did take some pristine shots - in case I mucked it up)!

As you can see, he has taken a licking; but is still very much ticking.

For the weathering and damage I used a variety of techniques and products, I will try and jot down everything I did (but memory may fail me in some parts).

1. I started by adding scars and bullet holes to the model; I used a heated round bradawl style tool that I have (think of a really thick needle about the size of a cocktail stick), I used a small tealight candle to heat the metal (light it first or it does not work so well) - then I dragged it across the plastic areas I wanted tear and graze marks on; for the entry holes I just got the point of the bradawl really hot and stuck it in; as I would imagine a bullet spread would have impacted on the armour.

2. to paint the battle damage with a small degree of fantasy realism ('fantism'?) I painted all of the damage in mr metal aluminium, then I painted in the deepest parts mr metal iron - this seemed to work pretty well judging by the end result.

3. For most of the weathering I decided to use some of my AK interactive washes and effects; streaking grime, winter streaking grime and salt streaks (for experimentation). I started by brushing on thin lines of the effect using a small 00 brush, then I left it about twenty minutes to dry before I went back to it to start the streaking process - using a small flat brush moistened in white spirit (ish) - the first attempt was a bit of a disaster; I had bought some Bartoline 'Clean Spirit' to try, in place of white spirit - this did not work so well at all, it either clumped the AK paints or removed them completely.

So, I removed all the weathering and started again (only on one leg this time, just in case, you know how it is), WITH the exception of using real white spirit this time, I waited twenty minutes and commenced to drag said flat brush, moist with white spirit, down the leg of the model - success...of a sort, it did work better than last time, but, did not give the effect I was looking for, to me, the drying time was too long.

Third time lucky, again, I did all the above - fine lines of AK products, BUT THIS TIME I did it in small sections - giving the AK products just a minute or two before I dragged my well used flat brush down the paints to get my streak on! This worked brilliantly, I got the effect I wanted at last (as you can hopefully see from the photographs).

4. Finally, for the worn edges I decided to use a tiny piece of sponge dipped in revell aquacolour aluminium paint, dabbing off most of the excess I then gently tickled bit of the model with the sponge to get a nice random chipped effect in a very small amount of time - I could have spent a bit more time on it but I feel I have hit the right balance (as long as that balance is to look thrashed to within two rounds of Mike Tyson).

After that I gave it a very thin wash (50:1) of Vallejo gamecolour brown ink to remove any harshness and finished it all off with a couple of coats of Vallejo satin varnish thinned with water.

Apologies for the reeeeaaalllyy long post but there was quite a lot of info to get down!

More photos in the gallery.

fin4_zps8963c588.jpg

• Like 5

That looks great & thanks for sharing all the information. I also find only a couple of minutes is required for the streaking effects. Working a small area at a time.

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

That looks fantastic Pete!! :D I love the effects that you have managed to bring out on it. Thank you for the guide of how you done it also. I'm just about going to use the new-ish Humbrol weathering powders on a test model. This guide might help with that. :)

Well done on a fantastic model!! :) Char would be proud!! ;) incidentally I watched the bit where this little guy fights a Gundam. The little bugger just runs around stabbing every suit. It's quite funny actually!

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1