Red arrows 50th display season colours

jasman71

4A07DC28-3EAD-446C-8706-4F27CD9FA9B9_zps

Revealed today. Anybody else notice on the Hannants page for Hawks, airfix have another release for the Hawk scheduled in July , with a separate box number - A02005B. I wonder if this is the reason?

To their credit, airfix have updated their retooled hawk at least twice since release. The first one was to improve (though not a heck of a lot) the main u/c doors. The second was much more major, including the wing fences moulded onto the wings, slight alterations to the seats, one piece canopy, and better all-round fit. This latter kit I am now buying in droves on my quest to build all the RAF airframes. So I can only assume the release this year is for the new scheme?

The other release of this kit, in the black RAF or Finnish schemes, doesn't seem to be the final release either as the lower wing has out hard point holes in them too. One wonders what else they have up their sleeves?!

I often wonder if airfix would sell me a larger amount of hawks unboxed, just the bare plastic, for a smaller amount ; bulk buy discount!!

Edited by jasman71
  • Like 2

Are we to read anything into the fact that there is the outline of a Gnat on one of the points on the fin?!

Display season extra perhaps?

Have to say I did think we might get something with a little more oomf, very tidy and immaculate jets as always though.

Eng

Edited by eng

If you look at the '50' logo you can see there's a gnat and hawk together there too :) I'm assuming that this time next year they'll revert to the standard tails again. Remember the 2000 season, with those numbers on the tail flashes? That's why I'm wondering if airfix are going to do a ltd edition kit this year

A bit of am anti-climax as far as I'm concerned. All they have done is change the front third of the fin from red to blue and made it into a Union Jack, much like a 4 FTS display Hawk had many years ago. I was expecting to see a "50 Years" or "1964-2014" in big gold letters! :popcorn:

Edited by AMB

This is not helpful!!

In a moment of recklessness, (weakness, stupidity or bravado) I was having coffee at Bournemouth Flying Club last

Week and agreed to build them a revell 1/32 t1 to go into their auction in August to raise funds for the John Egging trust.

The pressure of this build seems immense at the moment just trying to sort out firstly how detailed to make it (do I use kit parts for

The cockpit; add PE detailing or use a resin kit like cbk).? It will be in a case.

Secondly what airframe do I model? Do I model XX260 ( Johns aircraft) or is that bad taste given what it's being built for: or do I model

The current Red 4 (? XX306) or even Red 1.

Now with this new tail colour do I go for this or the classic look ....aaargghhh!

Any help or advice will be greatly apprieciated

Don't think it would be bad taste to model XX260. I'm on a long-term project to model all the RAF hawks in 72 scale and will certainly be making it and all others. I don't think anyone would see it as bad taste at all.

For the red arrows I am doing them all in the various schemes carried, so will leave a couple to do as and when airfix release theirs with the blue tail later this year. For the earlier scheme, before the "royal Air Force " titles were placed on the side, I use the revell markings without the "2000" logo on the tails: the airfix original release Hawk does of course have markings in the box but they are crude by modern standards so won't use them.

I have three big revell hawks to do at some point but I haven't started yet so can't comment on their contents, however I would be tempted to use a super-detailed cockpit with the canopy open, seat belts etc, maybe some rbf flags too

• Like 1