Revell / Monogram 1/48th B 24D Liberator

bexwh773

Well this is my first build post for a few years, and this will be my 3rd build in 3 or so years (pics to follow of previous 2 builds). This landed on my doorstep last Thursday along with matching B 17G in 48th as well, although, this build will, once finished, end up as an airfield diorama (I HOPE!!! :banghead: )

12606191123_4882b7f1b1.jpg
On opening the box, first impressions are HOLY :poo-poo: thats a lot of plastic and its huge :doh::hypnotised: so this should be a laugh a minute to say the least. The kit I reckon is donkeys years old but........ in for a penny in for a pound as they say, so, heres the gubbins before I got cracking..... Raised panel lines and a few details that are incorrect for the 24D, but it seems from researching the kit, Mr. Revellogram based their D on the later 24J, as such removing trim tabs and a few other silly bits is for me, a little beyond my skills, as I generally screw that sort of thing right up....... Besides, Im a Canberra :nerd: and this is a new branch for me so Im still learning.
The aircraft with be built as "Fightin Sam" 42-51457. 389th Bomb Group, 566th Bomb Squadron, Hethel, Norfolk, 1943 / 44

12606191773_db9d375411.jpg
DSCF5491 by Bexy73C, on Flickr
First up, the office section, which seemed a little basic, so after hitting google for some pics, I started adding a few details made from my trademark "Lolly sticks" and bits of scrap.
12606516884_2dca2fb3ce.jpg
12606098635_8db97bbae0.jpg
12606099325_55f8ea5d24.jpg
The seat comes with the kit, but I added the back with bits of wood & scrap plastic and oxygen bottle is 2 bits of scrap sprue stuck together.
Started adding bits of wood to form a basic airframe, the interior colour is as close as I could guesstimate with tamiya acrylics, as this is my first proper build using them (my Local dont stock Humbrols :suicide: )
12606190483_0f0b8f89f1.jpg
Ive also added arm rests to the seats, I still havent made my mind up if Im adding pilot & co pilot to the cockpit yet, so, belts are untouched right now. Fire extinguishers are made from sprue painted & a bit of solder.
12606094985_29f40f7ed2.jpg
12606095695_99d19e7078.jpg
12606093415_a573e76ede.jpg
And this is where I finished up tonight (both decks dry fitted only)
12606182663_74dfa89545.jpg
Well thanks for looking, more to follow :thumbsup:
Bexy
Edited by bexwh773
  • Like 1

LoL I started building end of September, finally finished a 48th P-47D & 48th Frightning F Mk1A last Friday, so they took a while and didnt help the daft dog eating the Jugs canopy grrrr (I lied to Mr. revell hehe) I stuck the wings on the fuselage earlier, and nearly fell off my chair, its slightly bigger than I anticipated, but I think Ive got a big enough bit of wood to stick it on to make an airfield dio...... I hope!!!

Although Im out of my comfort zone as it were, I am actually enjoying this one, even more so as the detailing 1. looks quite good & 2. is going easier than I thought it would & 3. I er may stick with these fan operated thingys for a while :yikes:

Edited by bexwh773

I'll have some more pics later on but Ive been slowly chugging away at the flight deck, right now Im working on cables and things :mental: :analintruder: and planning the Rad Ops position right now.

Thanks for all the comments so far folks :yahoo: Woody, I'll make a note of any nasty surprises for you....... Right now Im seriously considering getting the 24 J too and possibly the Tamiya Lancaster :yikes:

i will be keeping an eye on this from time t time - i too have the b24d in my stash - been there a couple of years - but lack of space has thus far prevented me from building the beast. i have the revell released matchbox pb4-y which is the navalised b24 (albeit in 1/72) and the winspan on that must be nearly 2ft - dread to think what the 1/48th would be!!!!!

• Like 1

No photos yet but will have later on today. Treker, I took a pic for you with a ruler and the fuse & wings gently put together, approx 26 - 28 ish inches wide LoL

Managed to get a bulkhead, chair, a few cables & the tail section built today.......... Woody, tail fins took some serious sanding to remove over laps :banghead:

Looking good! I built a B-24 with my grandfather many years ago, I don't know if it was this kit or not. It hung on my bedroom ceiling, and as I grew, I began to occasionally bump it, and it eventually died the death that way.

I have a vague ongoing project in which I build the aircraft of famous authors (Saint-Exupery, Joseph Heller, Richard Bach, etc) and would like to do a C-87 for Ernest Gann. I wonder how hard it would be to convert this kit to a C-87?

• Like 1

TY Jabba and nice to be back my friend :thumbsup:

Looking good! I built a B-24 with my grandfather many years ago, I don't know if it was this kit or not. It hung on my bedroom ceiling, and as I grew, I began to occasionally bump it, and it eventually died the death that way.

I have a vague ongoing project in which I build the aircraft of famous authors (Saint-Exupery, Joseph Heller, Richard Bach, etc) and would like to do a C-87 for Ernest Gann. I wonder how hard it would be to convert this kit to a C-87?

Hi Mach Turtle, having just found this article http://www.forcedlandingcollection.se/USAAFe/USAAF139-441020-C87.html I reckon if youve got the patience to cut out the windows in the lower fuselage, in theory it should be a very simple conversion, even more so filling in the turrets and having a none glazed nose...... As long as you make sure youve got the Revellogram B-24 D and their 24 J I cant see a problem with it and it looks quite interesting too so thanks for the idea :yahoo:

So, more photos of where I am now then:

Bit of a beast this one!!

12648214165_9b16b8a7ee.jpg

If it was fitted together correctly I reckon on 26in wide!!
12648696644_fe5ef41f54.jpg
Nav area taking shape
12648695974_2cc7c7848c.jpg

12648340483_52340591d7.jpg

12648692024_46b4c1d6a0.jpg
Tail section
12648693724_ab8db2acc2.jpg
Finally a bit more cockpit detailing, albeit with slight modellers licence
12648689444_6c8d6f76a5.jpg

A quick tip from one who has built one and is currently doing another: the fit of the wings to the fuselage is so good that it is possible to leave the wings off whilst painting and decalling; it makes handling it during painting, to say nothing of masking up an assembly ship colour scheme, much easier. A suitable support through the wing slots and away you go. IMG_0032_zps729251d2.jpg

This also happens to be the 389th's assembly ship "The Green Dragon", which the 389th museum at Hethel were kind enough to accept for display last year. Here, as a bit of inspiration, is the completed model just after delivery last April.

IMG_2486_zps8cafc795.jpg

Shameless link to my HS article on the model here.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 3

Mike,

I really appreciate any tips youve got for this beast so feel free to fire away Sir :thumbsup: Quick question, Im not used to using Tamiya paint, Im a Humbrol girl but theyre not readily available locally to me in the USA (not long moved here) so, what would you reckon is the right or closest guesstimate for the OD Green for the fuselage & wings?

Bexy

Well this is my first build post for a few years, and this will be my 3rd build in 3 or so years (pics to follow of previous 2 builds). This landed on my doorstep last Thursday along with matching B 17G in 48th as well, although, this build will, once finished, end up as an airfield diorama (I HOPE!!! The kit I reckon is donkeys years old but........ in for a penny in for a pound as they say, so, heres the gubbins before I got cracking..... Raised panel lines and a few details that are incorrect for the 24D, but it seems from researching the kit, Mr. Revellogram based their D on the later 24J, as such removing trim tabs and a few other silly bits is for me, a little beyond my skills, as I generally screw that sort of thing right up......

The B-24 was originally tooled as a B-24J, and later the moulds modified to make a D. Which would explain the J features.

For both this and the B-17 I suggest tracking down various upgrades made by Bill Koster.

see - http://www.swannysmodels.com/KostersKorner.html

Worth getting the clear stuff only for the poxy tail turret which has a join line down the glazing.... he also does an M nose conversion.

Regarding the raised panel lines, the B-24 is a lap jointed rivety beast up close...

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/b-24j_bb_walk_1.htm

B-24J_44-44175_036.jpg

HTH

T

• Like 1

Looking good, Bexy! I remember building the Monogram J back in the day...of course, it had to be The Dragon. I think it may have been my first use of Metalizer Aluminum, before they were gobbled up by Testors. I wonder whatever became of that model? I honestly can't remember. I remember building it, had to cut that Microscale Dragon decal into several pieces to put it on. At one point, I had all of the Monogram quarter scale bombers - ah, I think I remember now. I donated them all to the local recruiting station.

Anyway, I love your use of Lolly Sticks and whatever else you have lying around. Can't wait to see this one finished! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Mike,

I really appreciate any tips youve got for this beast so feel free to fire away Sir :thumbsup: Quick question, Im not used to using Tamiya paint, Im a Humbrol girl but theyre not readily available locally to me in the USA (not long moved here) so, what would you reckon is the right or closest guesstimate for the OD Green for the fuselage & wings?

Bexy

Any other tips? Leave the top turret off until last, because however much weight you add forward of the c/g you will need to add more - my current build will use a suitable tail support instead. As for the OD, there's a photo of "Fightin' Sam" on the dust-jacket of one of my Mighty Eighth books, and that shows it as a relatively dark shade of OD. But of course, that statement comes with a whole bunch of caveats about the dangers of interpreting old colour photos. I would suggest that you'll be OK with a standard, as opposed to "faded", OD from any of the major manufacturers available to you.

HTH

• Like 1

Any other tips? Leave the top turret off until last, because however much weight you add forward of the c/g you will need to add more - my current build will use a suitable tail support instead. As for the OD, there's a photo of "Fightin' Sam" on the dust-jacket of one of my Mighty Eighth books, and that shows it as a relatively dark shade of OD. But of course, that statement comes with a whole bunch of caveats about the dangers of interpreting old colour photos. I would suggest that you'll be OK with a standard, as opposed to "faded", OD from any of the major manufacturers available to you.

HTH

I used the same top turret trick for my 1:72 PB4Y build. Good advice!

Cheers,

Bill

Troy,

TY for the linkys, especially the walk around page, very handy :thumbsup: Money is rather tight so anything AM is unlikely, so, Im gonna have fight the chunky clunky kit glazing for now :banghead:

Mach Turtle, TY, Im getting there with the flight deck, nearly done now!! youre very welcome, cant wait to see you do the conversion, might even try it myself in the future with another one :evil_laugh:

Bill, if you ever grab another 48th B 24 give me a shout, Id love to watch it built!! I used to spend stupid amounts on resin bits, then sat back one day realising Id spent more of AM stuff than the kit, so decided to bite the bullet and start tinkering with just bits of wire, then lolly sticks (Hey De Havilland aint the only one to build a Wooden Wonder LoL) I found some pics and just sort of let rip and kept going....... this is my very first seriously daft scratch building effort with more to follow now :yikes:

MikeC, TY for the advice, very much appreciated....... actually, now I have a second coat of XF62 on the tail, it actually looks ok, so fingers crossed. Ive got some fishing weights and my usual collection of old nails / screws to slot in, but if I misjudge the weight, shes gonna be on a dio and Ive seen photos of ammo boxes and other junk stuffed under the tail skid.

Ok then latest update, including last night as BM died on me as I was just about to post :yikes: :boom: :pardon:

First up we have some lolly stick and plastic strips slowly turned into a basic looking radio set:

12671530633_c901429a26.jpg

12671402775_3319a6a005.jpg
12671401535_ac801107c0.jpg
12671878274_ae07c551cc.jpg
With a dab of paint now......... later on some colour will be added
12671527433_771ab97dde.jpg
12671527923_06aeeb7556.jpg
The up right bit on the desk is a left over thingy from an He 162 :coolio:
12671402165_92b089cb3d.jpg
Started emphasising the airframe with yogurt pot strips:
12690240984_3dc18b1978.jpg
Tail fins getting there:
12690242034_83dca6ac7f.jpg
12689749055_d12e292c19.jpg
While the fuselage was drying Ive started on the wings:
12690240264_0b0401ba7b.jpg
And finally my partner Kim is busy building the tow tractor having finished the figures for me while she awaits her next kit:
12689750175_8e86710ca8.jpg
Hope you like the update & progress, ty for all the comments and interest.
Bexy
Edited by bexwh773
  • Like 2