Enter the phantom... Revell from Germany f-4f phantom 1:72

Can the E version be made from this i.e a Vietnam USAF or IAF F-E? If so which parst do i need to omit/use. I have a couple and one with no decals.

TIA

I thinks that the F model is a late F-4E I mean post Vietnam... one of the changes must be the chaff/flare dispenser located in the outer wing pylons... the other one is the front cover of the Gatling gun. In Vietnam this was generally shorter than in the post war phantoms (although I think some Vietnam phantom already have the long one at the en of the war). Also the late F-4f has the capability of launching AMRAAM and in the vietnam war they use sparrow model C I think. But I don´t consider myself an expert but I think those were the main changes... besides the cockpit panels. Anyone has more info? Andre?

Greetings

Antonio

Keep them. It would be a shame for you to put all that effort into them and then leave them. Especially when they look that good.

Sean

Thanks Sean I think they came out pretty well... let me put a picture of the one I did side by side the resin one for comparison only...

Greetings

Antonio

• Like 1

The F-4F for Germany was basically a simplified F-4E. Mainly the AN-APQ-120 radar was simplified without the capability to fire AIM-7 Sparrows and the fuselage tank no.7 was left out. Moreover in their initial delivery status they could neither carry any nukes, nor AGM-65 Mavericks, nor AGM-45 Shrike nor AGM-62 Walleyes. 175 were built in total and all were tranferred in-flight from the US to Germany.

Later, from 1980 onwards they were upgraded to fire Macericks, AIM-9L Sidewinders and they got a AN/ALE-40 flare dispensers.

110 F-4F were upgraded from 1991 to 1996 to F-4F ICE. The upgrade consisted of a new Hughes AGP-65 radar to fire AIM-120 AMRAAMs. Further modifications covered the navigation system, computer avionics and RWRs. Distinctive feature of F-4F ICE was the tan coloured radome.

Edited by troschi
  • Like 2

Biggest difference would be the slotted stabilizers on the F-4E vs non-slotted on the F-4F. Other than that, they are fairly identical externally.

I gather these are not in the kit as an option? How do i go about creating the stabilisers? AM parts around?

Hi my work continues after some minor interruptions... I start to upgrade the kit's cockpit with some scratch using as reference some resins pictures I found in the internet...

T2eC16VzUE9s38CfSBRcopDzGg60_3.jpg

Pit13.jpg

Using evergreen, masking tape and stretched sprue I'll try to replicate all this details... first pictures...I already painted it in aircraft gray as interior base color...

DSC_2595.jpg

DSC_2597.jpg

As the paint began drying I started the side panels... first marking the boundaries of the cockpit tube and then gluing some plastic sheets...

DSC_2614.jpg

After finishing the details I also paint them with the same base color - aircraft grey...

DSC_2618.jpg

DSC_2617.jpg

DSC_2615.jpg

Greetings

Antonio

Hi all... tonight I got a free night of modelling... however yesterday I managed to finish the lateral panels of the phantom cockpit... the description of the process is the following...

First, all is covered with base color - aircraft gray...

DSC_2615.jpg

Second pre-shadowing with very thinned black paint--- sorry I don't have the pictures....

And third apply different layers of paint to bring depth and details for the different knobs, wires and buttons...

DSC_2620.jpg

DSC_2619.jpg

During the hole process I checked constantly the fit and looks of the hole cockpit (including its cockpit tube)...

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

Next I have to do the cables and wires that shows between the two seats (the ones that comes behind the RIO front panel)

F-4+Cockpit.jpg

625397390_17b7143e84.jpg

and the ones that go behind the RIO's seat...

RCPreardeck.jpg

RCPreardeck2.jpg

Well, this is all for tonight I hope you guys like the advances on this Rhino... thanks for watching...

Greetings

Antonio

RAL 6014 is not the same colour as Humbrol 155. Humbrol 75 is better. Some say that Revell 42 or maybe Revell 46 can go (to greenish for me). Xtracolour has released an gelboliv - X251 and that may be usefull (I have not seen it).

Xtracolor X251 is a distinctly brown representation of RAL 6014 - a greenish brown rather than a brownish green, if you like.

Joseph