Enter the phantom... Revell from Germany f-4f phantom 1:72

Hi there, I think this is the first time I ever post a WIP here... please patience... jejejeje... I belong to a modeller club called Phantoms. This year, in order to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the club, we´re having a inner modelling contest. The subject of this closed contest is the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom in all scales, models and operators.

I choose the fantastic F-4E/F from Revell from Germany in its 1:72 scale... a masterpiece in my humble opinion! I have two of this little jewels and I pick this one:

DSC_2656.jpg

I'm planning to build it straight from the box... the only aftermarket I'll use is the decals... I got my hands on this decal set from AirDoc. The only thing I'm still figuring out is which to use... I accept suggestions... this are the options...

1613831_10152146390570067_898075603_n.jp

1557634_10152146391920067_1589136108_n.j

1662265_10152146392690067_1528269654_n.j

1012656_10152146390035067_1629844758_n1.

1782046_10152146391460067_292964014_n.jp

Grettings from Venezuela.

Antonio

• Like 1

Good choice, you can never go wrong with Phantoms, especially Norm 72 scheme. One other aftermarket addition you might try is a set of Quickboost seats as they are little beauties and look a lot better than the kit seats.

Best of luck.

Ted

• Like 1

Hi Antonio,

This is indeed an excellent kit (although the kit markings are rather evil LoL) I agree with Ted about the choice seats and if you still want an opinion on which scheme to choose........ Option 10. 38 + 20 JG 74 Jever 1982

Bexy

The Revell kit is for sure the best F-4F Phantom there is. The one and only problem with the norm -72 scheme is that there isn't a good choise of paint for the german "gelbolive", RAL 6014. For some reason even Revell hasn't got this paint. The one and only manufactur of this paint who got i right that i knew of was Roco. I knew for sure as this has been a lot of discussion about RAL 6014 in german modelling forums...

One more problem with RAL 6014 gelbolive is that it is in fact not just one shade of colour it is two. For som reason RAL 6014 shifted shades around 1970 and the older more yellow "gelbolive" was made more greenish. And both shades of RAL 6014 was used untill th older shades was used up (well into the 1980's).

Best Regards

Andre

Edited by Andre B

Good choice, you can never go wrong with Phantoms, especially Norm 72 scheme. One other aftermarket addition you might try is a set of Quickboost seats as they are little beauties and look a lot better than the kit seats.

Best of luck.

Ted

Thanks Ted I agreed, the rhino is one of the coolest plane that ever exist... I'm trying to make it out of the box... and scratch... let's see... I saving my resin seats for the three fujimi phantoms I also have.

Greetings

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

This is indeed an excellent kit (although the kit markings are rather evil LoL) I agree with Ted about the choice seats and if you still want an opinion on which scheme to choose........ Option 10. 38 + 20 JG 74 Jever 1982

Bexy

Thanks Bexy. Your oppinion has been noted... I'm trying to get the very best from the kit's seats... I won't glued them in order to have a future pool, What do you think? Let's do this WIP as an interactive build, shall we?

Greetings

Antonio

• Like 1

Hi Antonio,

good choice but I strongly recommend to leave the canopies open. The closed one is too flat in shape and the opened ones will cover this issue.

It is my plan to leave them open... I also have an aircraft shelter kit (also from revell) and I'm planning to build it later to make a nice diorama base for the multiple luftwaffe planes I have.

Greetings

Antonio

• Like 1

The Revell kit is for sure the best F-4F Phantom there is. The one and only problem with the norm -72 scheme is that there isn't a good choise of paint for the german "gelbolive", RAL 6014. For some reason even Revell hasn't got this paint. The one and only manufactur of this paint who got i right that i knew of was Roco. I knew for sure as this has been a lot of discussion about RAL 6014 in german modelling forums...

One more problem with RAL 6014 gelbolive is that it is in fact not just one shade of colour it is two. For som reason RAL 6014 shifted shades around 1970 and the older more yellow "gelbolive" was made more greenish. And both shades of RAL 6014 was used untill th older shades was used up (well into the 1980's).

Best Regards

Andre

Well, thanks for your comment Andre. You push me into a tight spot there... I've being searching and I found this page that shows RAL equivalents... http://www.paintassistant.com/simcol.html... acording to this web site this would be the equivalents:

RAL6014 Gelboliv - FS24064 - Humbrol 155

RAL7012 Basaltgrau - FS26152 - Humbrol (27) 79

RAL9006 WeiBaluminium - FS17178 - Humbrol 56

Greetings

Antonio

Well, thanks for your comment Andre. You push me into a tight spot there... I've being searching and I found this page that shows RAL equivalents... http://www.paintassistant.com/simcol.html... acording to this web site this would be the equivalents:

RAL6014 Gelboliv - FS24064 - Humbrol 155

RAL7012 Basaltgrau - FS26152 - Humbrol (27) 79

RAL9006 WeiBaluminium - FS17178 - Humbrol 56

Greetings

Antonio

Hello,

RAL 7012 is close to both Humbrol 27 and 79 as RAL 7012 is not far away from RAF dark sea grey. Tamiya AS-4 grey violet is also usefull as RAL 7012 is clse to the dark grey in the RLM 74/75/76 nightfighter schemes. RAL 7012 faded away fast from dark grey to a lighter shade of grey. I've got an spraycan with RAL 7012 from Germany and "unfaded" it is an wery dark grey. I use Tamiya AS-4...

RAL 9006 Weissaluminium is more greyish compared to Humbrol 56. Maybe usefull with some drops of light grey. Or maybe RAF medium sea grey with some drops of silver...

RAL 6014 is not the same colour as Humbrol 155. Humbrol 75 is better. Some say that Revell 42 or maybe Revell 46 can go (to greenish for me). Xtracolour has released an gelboliv - X251 and that may be usefull (I have not seen it). There are som sellers in Germany who has made their own brand of RAL 6014 as it's difficult to get it for modelling...

http://www.oesling-modellbau.com/webshop/Farbe-Lack/Acrylfarbe-wasserverduennbar/Glanzgrad-seidenmatt/gruene-Farbtoene/RAL-6014-Gelboliv-seidenmatt.html

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=31161.0

Best Regards

Andre

Edited by Andre B

Hello,

RAL 7012 is close to both Humbrol 27 and 79 as RAL 7012 is not far away from RAF dark sea grey. Tamiya AS-4 grey violet is also usefull as RAL 7012 is clse to the dark grey in the RLM 74/75/76 nightfighter schemes. RAL 7012 faded away fast from dark grey to a lighter shade of grey. I've got an spraycan with RAL 7012 from Germany and "unfaded" it is an wery dark grey. I use Tamiya AS-4...

RAL 9006 Weissaluminium is more greyish compared to Humbrol 56. Maybe usefull with some drops of light grey. Or maybe RAF medium sea grey with some drops of silver...

RAL 6014 is not the same colour as Humbrol 155. Humbrol 75 is better. Some say that Revell 42 or maybe Revell 46 can go (to greenish for me). Xtracolour has released an gelboliv - X251 and that may be usefull (I have not seen it). There are som sellers in Germany who has made their own brand of RAL 6014 as it's difficult to get it for modelling...

http://www.oesling-modellbau.com/webshop/Farbe-Lack/Acrylfarbe-wasserverduennbar/Glanzgrad-seidenmatt/gruene-Farbtoene/RAL-6014-Gelboliv-seidenmatt.html

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=31161.0

Best Regards

Andre

Thanks for the info andre,.

Antonio

Great project!

Definitely a fan of the shark mouthed scheme.

I will be following this one with great interest.

Thanks man.

Well I finish one of the two seats... tell me what do you think about... I think they look great and if the other one finish resembling this one I'll keep them in the WIP.

First the crude seats - the came with the kit like this

Asientos-crudos.jpg

And the comparison between the scratched and the crude one...

Comparacioacuten-asientos.jpg

Greetings

Antonio

Edited by antonioces
  • Like 2