Hasegawa Crusader 1/72 - FINISHED

Hi folks,decided on this as my fourth entry for this GB,I love the old gull grey/white era of U.S, navy aviation but over twenty

years since I have built anything from it.heres a box top photo of my boxing £4.95 from King Kit,parts are off the sprue and

a dry run reveals a superb fit for the kits age,decals very usable too.Crusader-1_CMC_zps994ac616.jpg

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 2

Nice one Steve, though I did read the title and think, ooh, another tank! :banghead:

Nice one Steve, though I did read the title and think, ooh, another tank! :banghead:

Funny enough Pete I have a 1/72 revell challenger which is the only armour kit I have so I will enter it before the end of the build.

Cockpit done,I am not doing anything much to it just a bit of evergreen strip to take away the lack of any sidewall detail and some spare decals

here and there to make it busy,the fuselage is now joined and is ok apart from a warped area underneath should fill ok.TSDC10874_zps06e32209.jpghanks for now.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

seems like you decided to open kit building factory! :) you are going insanely fast yet VERY good! :) keep it up steve

It must seem like that but to be honest I spend one hour a day on the days I work and maybe a couple when I am off.I have today started five days holiday

so expect good progress!I have a Spitfire and P40 nearly there and not far behind Mig21 and Eurofighter Typhoon.

Got a couple of hours throughout the day and here,s the progress achieved,filled and sanded the warped join underneath and should be fine after

paint, the wing clips into place with no filler at all although it,s not glued as i need to paint the fuselage without it in place.any US naval aviation fans will

raise an eyebrow at the external fuel tanks but I did find one photo on the web of a F8J with them on test.Thanks for looking.SDC10877_zpse6218294.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

when people say you are busy, they are not joking! I have this kit as well, but the boxing is even older than yours and did cost me less than 3 Quid... Where are these days gone?

This F-8 is sure shaping up nicely. Just one small detail: the cockpit should have been dark gull grey rather than black, but I don't think anybody will be able to see too much through the canopy.

Which decals are you going to use?

Cheers

JR

Hi Steve,

when people say you are busy, they are not joking! I have this kit as well, but the boxing is even older than yours and did cost me less than 3 Quid... Where are these days gone?

This F-8 is sure shaping up nicely. Just one small detail: the cockpit should have been dark gull grey rather than black, but I don't think anybody will be able to see too much through the canopy.

Which decals are you going to use?

Cheers

JR

Thanks Jean,this one will be the navy version in the box,I have another older boxing and will one day build the more colourful marines scheme,I have taken

liberties on the cockpit colour and thought it might be wrong!

Oh! unexpected hour of modelling today so masked up and got the grey done,then dropped the wing on with no trouble and here it is with the

masking removed.just popped the tailplanes on for the photo .Thanks for lookingSDC10903_zpsb3e00ba1.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good but the E model never had plumbing for wing tanks, that was an upgrade to the J.

Julien

Thanks Julien,I knew I was taking liberties with the tanks the kits alternative was a single "bomb" for the pylon which looked very odd and I could only

find photo,s of them fitted with a large pylon with a cluster of six bombs.

Ok I can live with the wrong colour cockpit but the never used tanks had to go,I have some stores from an A7 Corsair so have changed the tanks to

the bomb rack used by the marines and photo,s seem to show them mounted on the kit style pylons,this has the bonus effect of me being able too to use the colourfull marines markings.

SDC10908_zps66073ca4.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Hi folks,nearly there with this build,now I know why I don,t do modern(ish) aircraft any more,painting ordinance!for an old kit this is a very

enjoyable one,so here,s how it looks.thanks for taking the time to look.SDC10964_zps3269bfb6.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good ! Of course I'm terribly biased as I love USMC Crusaders !

MERs and bombs were a very common load for these aircrafts in Vietnam, so I have to say it was a good choice to change the load.

Are the decals from the kit ? They look quite good compared to some other Hasegawa decals I've seen

Looking good ! Of course I'm terribly biased as I love USMC Crusaders !

MERs and bombs were a very common load for these aircrafts in Vietnam, so I have to say it was a good choice to change the load.

Are the decals from the kit ? They look quite good compared to some other Hasegawa decals I've seen

Hi Giorgio,they are the kits decals which have behaved perfectly!I have an old LTV corsair bought at the same time and looking forward to building

it soon, would love to get a Vietnam era navy phantom but silly prices being asked.