Bandai 1/144 RX-121-2A Gundam TR-1 "Advanced Hazel" ***Finished***

Dazzio

Hello everyone,

Decided I would put this post up while I had some free time round my g/f's house. I was reminded by Paganpete that I had this kit floating around. I can't remember the exact price I paid for it, but I know it is around the £9.50 after the exchange rate, so it fits in (as far as I am aware?). For anyone who doesn't know a thing about Gundam or it's sidestories, here is a little link and background information I done for the 1/144 Group Build. I still need to finish my Hi-Nu of, not sure on what colours to do it tho. Right onto the pictures...

rvnf.jpg

Here we have the rather funky box art, the Hazel line of Gundams is from "The Advance of Zeta : The Flag of Titans" manga only story. Ironically enough, the story has turned out to be one of the most popular stories out there for Gunpla fans. I keep on meaning to get the manga myself, I just keep on forgetting. Must be my old age... As you can see there is lots of colourful bits on this. This is going to be my first Gundam that I will 100% paint and not just use the plastic colours.

vq9e.jpg

More colourful pictures from the instructions, gotta love the artwork.

gdrb.jpg

Back page and the Front page of the instructions respectively (the Japanese read right to left top to bottom, you get used to it after a while). A colour chart with the many colours I will have to make, if I decide to make it these colours.

i8d3.jpg

Set of sprues still in their plastic bag.

yaqs.jpg

More sprues with stickers! W00t! I has stickers!

ir74.jpg

The main shield and various other bits and bobs.

q1tu.jpg

Last but not least the majority of the main body parts.

zf2c.jpg

I know the rules state that aftermarket isn't really allowed, but the stickers in the box are actually just stickers and suck. So I will be using these ones, I actually bought these for the TR-5 Gaplant and the Hazel (the version before this one), so technically I didn't buy the decals for this one :P The ones I will be using are ones in the top right. Those bunnies are kinda cute aren't they? I'm sure I have mentioned this before but a lot of the names in this series come from Watership Down (been years since I saw it).

I haven't started this one yet, but I will once I have got the Training GB done, or I may just take this one slowly. See how it goes.

Thank you for reading!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 3

Looking forward to this Dazz!

Oddly enough, my parcel arrived from Japan today - will post box shots etc once I have completed one of the two builds I have on the go at the main ( can't do too many builds at same time, get confused).

Pete

Thanks all for the encouraging words! I'm toying with the idea of lighting it up as well, I will see how much time I have after I've done the Bulldog.

Pete : I've seen the Z'gok, I look forward to seeing it build. If you get the time, look at the Unicorn Gundams and such, lots of new marine Mecha in there.

Stu : go on!!! Take a chance and buy a kit! I'd say go for a cheap Zaku or RGM-1 to begin with. Then you should've only lost £10 if you don't like it, if you don't let me know I may take it off your hands ;). Was there a particular kit you liked??

Kind Regards

Dazz

ATVD : They are all from the same series :P the "Fiver" is a further development of the TR-5 Gaplant which I've got on order. The Woundwort has bits on it from this Mecha as well, or based on it. :). I really need to read the series tho, has some interesting Mecha in it. Oh yeah they are all piloted by the Black Otter Team (aka Titans Test Team).

Kind Regards

Dazz

ATVD : They are all from the same series :P the "Fiver" is a further development of the TR-5 Gaplant which I've got on order. The Woundwort has bits on it from this Mecha as well, or based on it. :). I really need to read the series tho, has some interesting Mecha in it. Oh yeah they are all piloted by the Black Otter Team (aka Titans Test Team).

Jesus Christ, they really lifted all the names from Watership Down :blink: . I think I prefer the actual Gaplant, though.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, they really lifted all the names from Watership Down :blink: . I think I prefer the actual Gaplant, though.

Aye they did, they "borrowed" the names, places and various other bits from the film.

As for liking the Gaplant, did you mean the TR-5 version or the Zeta version (which I also have sitting on my shelf)? I still think my Deep Striker is the coolest of the lot tho. The Maddox comes close too...

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edit : Now I can bring you links! Just a few of them.

YRMS-106+BL-85X Bizack TR-2 [bigwig]

ORX-005 Gaplant TR-5 [Fiver]

RX-124 Gundam TR-6 [Woundwort]

ORX-005 Gaplant TR-5 [Hrairoo]

ORX-005 Gaplant (Just because I can :P)

Edited by Dazzio

Aye they did, they "borrowed" the names, places and various other bits from the film.

As for liking the Gaplant, did you mean the TR-5 version or the Zeta version (which I also have sitting on my shelf)? I still think my Deep Striker is the coolest of the lot tho. The Maddox comes close too...

Sorry, I was only familiar with the Zeta Gaplant (<off-topic> though I don't find it the coolest transforming mobile suit from that series</off-topic>). It's a pity the Woundwort only seems to be kitted as a resin kit, it has a slightly more 'lapine' look than the others.

Sorry, I was only familiar with the Zeta Gaplant (<off-topic> though I don't find it the coolest transforming mobile suit from that series</off-topic>). It's a pity the Woundwort only seems to be kitted as a resin kit, it has a slightly more 'lapine' look than the others.

It's been ages since I watched Zeta, might have to soon. :) I liked the Zeta personally and the MK.II. The Woundwort looks kinda feminie to me... I dunno how.

Done some work on the Hazel, I've gotten to this stage thus far.

12781434713_9a3e80c0e0.jpg

The gun, not much to point out here.

12781323295_1c73242b46.jpg

One of the many shields...

12781428483_8d6120d3b8.jpg

Not sure on that head yet... looks sorta funny to me.

12781329715_4bf009e0e0.jpg

Just to give you an idea of size, sorry for the poor picture quality, I used my phone to take the pictures. Coming along nicely I think. :)

Still needs a few little jobs done.

Hope you like!

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 3

Hello everyone,

So I done some more work on the Hazel instead of the Bulldog... bad me I know.

Well I went into my shed, put some music on and for once I was left alone. I just started building it and before I knew it, I had the whole thing completely built.

On to the pictures;

12841462275_9cee9bcc37.jpg

Here is the leg assembly made with the skirts (why would anyone call them skirts?!)

12841529973_607f600b9e.jpg

HIGH HEELS?! High Heels on a Gundam?! I dunno... :\

12841456325_08afe07765.jpg

The two shield/boosters that go on the back. The Hazel can use 3 of these, but I only had enough for 2. Think I may have to raid the other boxes for one.

12841872904_cbe8b69347.jpg

Head torso and arms, this little lot didn't take me that long tbh. Usually I hate making the arms (I dunno), but these ones where not too bad.

12841868914_55920024a9.jpg

These little things are in a crotch area and they are 2 extra arms for stuff. I am not too sure if the pilot of this Mecha is a Newtype or not. I seem to remember the pilot of the The O being a Newtype...

12841865544_a75845d53b.jpg

Low and behold, the whole thing has been put together, who fancies a hug eh?? :P

12841439795_f5a6ef96f2.jpg

The Hazel next to the Hi-Nu, which I have still got to finish... just not sure on what colours to use tho.

12841427015_bc89c1d718.jpg

Just a picture to show you how big the Hazel is compared to the MSA-0011 [bst] S Gundam Plan303E Deep Striker my fav Gundam, also my biggest Gundam too (I'm ignoring Psyco-Gundam, that one doesn't exist!).

12841852904_198d24f0a4.jpg

And a picture of my MSA-006 C1 [bst] Zeta Plus "Hummingbird", just because I can and I had just finished building that one also, not sure on those legs being that wide tho... looks dodgy to me. :\

Anyhow, all I have to do now, is figure out what colours I am going to paint her. My gf said a light blue with a cadbury type purple mixture. Then I have got to figure out how I am going to paint it. There is a lot of little parts on it.

Hope you liked what you have seen, trying to decide if I will have enough time to add this little one to the collection or not.

12841936615_5456c0aedb.jpg

I guess time will tell, sooner or later, time will tell (I love that game! - 50 points to anyone who knows what game that came from ;) ).

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 5

Thank you atvd, I assume you mean the Hazel? Well as she stands there she is unpainted, I'm am going to paint it up tho, there's so much detail in these models that it's a crime not to paint them.

Got any ideas for a colour scheme?? ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Looks like a nice kit with a lot of parts. I don't know these things at all, but I think they must be a great project to bring alive with painting and weathering. I might actually like to build one with lots of chipping, wear and tear, grease stains and some battle damage. I'm not sure what is "correct" though. Are they ever worn and aged, or should they be more pristine?

Will be interesting to see the paint job coming on this one.

• Like 1

Jörgen,

You can do either really. That's the beauty of it, as these things technically don't exist (there is a life size RX-78-2 Gundam and a Zeta Gundam, but they are just for show and don't actually move) the only limitations are your mind. If you want to paint it bright pink you can (there is an official Pink Zaku, think of the RAFs pink Harrier and you are there). I have seen these things made really filthy and look good I have also seen them pristine also. I guess it sorta matters what one you are going to do and when. For example, I'd imagine the Zakus to be really clean at the start of the One Year War but as the battles raged on and the fight moved to Earth, they wouldn't of stayed clean for long. Try and find the Ez-8 (yes named after the Sherman Tank I think...) or the Ground Type Gundams, they got filthy!!

Gotta figure out how to paint this one... Oh the choices! :P

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks for the input there. I think I'd like to do one which looks more serious, a bit darker and more war torn, looking a bit like "OK, the play time is over. Now you face the real thing, with lots of experience that has been through this many times before. Beware..." Something that makes its opponents regret they ever met it when they see it.

I think I will have to look around a bit.

Jörgen, Dazzio, this link might help -http://www.hobbylink.tv/hlj-gundam-battle-damage-weathering-tutorial

I am going to do mine pristine at first - take photos,then do it all damaged and grizzled!

• Like 1

"OK, the play time is over. Now you face the real thing, with lots of experience that has been through this many times before. Beware..." Something that makes its opponents regret they ever met it when they see it.

Now you mention it, I know all of the Gundams after the first one (RX-78-2) where all painted the same to make the enemy think they where dealing with the first one (it built up a massive reputation for having a good pilot), so they might of kept them clean to drive the point home. I know that Chars Mecha (like Paganpetes G'zok for example) where clean to make it clear who was piloting it (plus they where bright red). It also helped he was a commander too. I also remember seeing some of the Gundams getting really beat up (Zeta for example). I have a spare Ginn (From SEED), Gundam Mk II or GP-03 S that I might make look filthy.

Thanks for the link Pete, I've seen a few of them before. Really worth looking into they are. There is a few blogs I follow who make Gunpla too, some of them are just simply amazing.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thank you atvd, I assume you mean the Hazel? Well as she stands there she is unpainted, I'm am going to paint it up tho, there's so much detail in these models that it's a crime not to paint them.

Got any ideas for a colour scheme?? ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

A black/red/gold finish to match the Titans' uniform might be interesting, though it would end up looking like a scaled-down Psyco Gundam :hmmm:Or a lightened RLM 02-ish finish to make it look more rabbity?

A black/red/gold finish to match the Titans' uniform might be interesting, though it would end up looking like a scaled-down Psyco Gundam :hmmm:Or a lightened RLM 02-ish finish to make it look more rabbity?

Hhmm the gold/black/red idea sounds like a Hayuk-Shiki to me, possibly an Astray (if you're familiar with Gundam SEED?). The grey tho, I have seen Gundams that where white/black and a little grey look fantastic. I might have to find a cheap kit to try that one on... Hhmm... Or did you mean grey like the RGM's/Re-Gz?

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto!

Very slowly due to an Airbrush malfunction. Which is now been rectified thanks to help from here and Paul from Little-Cars. I've taken her completely apart and primed the lot. I've decided to go with a dark blue, more or less the same colours as it is supposed to be. I'm going to have her (or him as Hazel is a male rabbit?) prestine too.

PaganPete, keep an eye in the Sci-Fi section, I've got an FA-78 Thunderbolt Gundam to make :D hopefully I will be putting that up soon.

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1