Need help with Badger 200

cruiserguy

Hi Everyone,

I've just finished my monthly "deep-clean" of my airbrushes and have a problem with one of them - a Badger 200 gravity cup, fine-needle. As I shot cleaner through the brush I saw air bubbles in the paint cup, and the brush was shooting off-centre. I think I may have:

1. a bent needle

2. a damaged seal.

I can replace both, but would like your advice on whether you think my diagnosis is right.

Best Wishes,

Will1957

If air is getting into the paint cup, it usually points to a problem with the nozzle & possibly needle.

Either the nozzle isn't seated correctly and air is getting in that way, or the pointy end is worn or damaged.

The damage can occur if you have a bent needle can eat away at the metal and eventually a gap will open that will let air in.

Firstly check that the air cap is clean and clear of obstructions.

Have a look at the needle and nozzle under a magnifier for damage.

Then try re-seating the nozzle & needle and see if the problem is still there.

Then try the replacement needle and nozzle.

Hope that helps,

Paul

If air is getting into the paint cup, it usually points to a problem with the nozzle & possibly needle.

Either the nozzle isn't seated correctly and air is getting in that way, or the pointy end is worn or damaged.

The damage can occur if you have a bent needle can eat away at the metal and eventually a gap will open that will let air in.

Firstly check that the air cap is clean and clear of obstructions.

Have a look at the needle and nozzle under a magnifier for damage.

Then try re-seating the nozzle & needle and see if the problem is still there.

Then try the replacement needle and nozzle.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I'll do as you suggest.

Best Wishes,

Will.

From Badger:

When air blows into paint jar, it means that compressed air is getting into the paint chamber
inside the airbrush. This happens because of three reasons.
1) For all Models- Paint tip may be split- using magnifying glass inspect the front area of tip for
any signs of hairline fracture from front face going backwards 1/16" in length min. This happens
when needle is jammed hard forward into paint tip. If so, replace tip or complete head assembly.
2) For Models 100, 150 & 200 Series airbrushes - Paint tip may not be sealed properly with bee
wax. Reseal if necessary or install new head assembly. For all drop-in tips make sure paint tip &
mating airbrush angle is perfectly clean and free of any imperfections before assembly.
3) For all 100, 150 & 200 Series – The head seal may be worn. The head seal 50-055 can only
be tightened & loosened two or three times before it gets worn out and needs to be replaced.

• 1 month later...

Try rolling the needle on a price of glass, it should roll without any undulations.

If if undulates as it rolls it's bent. Not the end of the world as it can be rolled back straight with gentle pressure.

It's probably more likely that there is some dried paint in the nozzle which can be soaked out by immersing it in paint thinner overnight.

Karl

• 5 years later...

Karl, @Bordfunker, Aidan @abacus, Will @cruiserguy

I just posted this (abobve) and it sounds the same. The airbrush has had only one and a half outings and I've got this issue :(. My previous 200 lasted 4 years without issue and I treated it badly!  I have looked for splits etc but can't see anything. The needle is straight as a die. The paint tip is clean inside too. I'm stumped! :(. Any other ideas?

In this configuation it works:

C4F2CA61-6CD7-446B-B567-FF702FD429A9

but it should work with the front end cap on, of course. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Chaps:

I've given her a good clean and tightened the screw joint between the body and the paint head. It seems to now work. A slight helping hand with a small set of pliers and bingo! There must have either been a speck of muck in there or the seal wasn't quite right. :(

Martin