A couple of Argie Skyhawks

I would like to share my current project here, it's a pair of 1/32 Trumpeter Skyhawks one A-4F to be converted into an A-4Q and one A-4M to be converted into an A-4AR

8x6-IMG_3756.jpg

A-4Q
ar3a305.jpg

A-4AR
2139623.jpg

Is quite a challenging task, specially the A-4Q which needs a new smaller nose, smaller intakes among other things.

In this image you can see the different noses and intakes in the E/F and A/B(Q) Skyhawk versions.
A-4NoseDifferences.jpg

I started improving the cockpit with a homemade punch and die tool and some wire.
8x6-IMG_3764.jpg
8x6-IMG_3767.jpg
8x6-IMG_3766.jpg

Then I started to work on the nose, used a block of balsa wood trimmed to the basic shape
8x6-IMG_3773.jpg
8x6-IMG_3774.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the basic shape, the balsa was then covered with putty and smoothed out.
8x6-IMG_3758.jpg

An intermediate copy was made in resin to give the final shape and scribe the panel lines.
I found much easier to use small strips of tape to check the shape, if something needs to be sanded out it's marked, sanded an re-checked, this is where the resin is great, it's soft
enough to be sanded but is not as softer as balsa wook.
8x6-IMG_3814.jpg

Finally the panels are marked with a pencil, now I have to copare what I did with some reference.
8x6-IMG_3819.jpg
8x6-IMG_3818.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 2

Luis,

I think seeing an Argentinian Skyhawk on here is going to be quite a build..

I love the Skyhawk with it's simply superb lines so look forward to your choice of build.l think you have made a good neat start. :worthy:

Keep it coming and I will be back to see how it is progressing..

:goodjob:

Edited by HOUSTON

Thanks for the kind coment Houston

I think you should suffer when changing the intakes in order to make the A-4B/Q... Good Luck...

Greetings

Antonio

I'm already working on that and so far it's easier than anticipated, I'll post some progress on that later today.

Excellent choice of subjects! Now you've done all that work have you seen this:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/ams/detail_ams_32056.shtml
Those is for a C, but the intakes would be useful!

Cheers mate I seen that but they are too expensive for me, also I like the challenge of making the parts myself, it's a good way of "stretching" my modelling skills.

Thanks a lot!

After a busy week at work I managed to make some progress.

First I had to clean-up because it was an awful mess, now it's a nice place to work in.

8x6-IMG_3824.jpg

Some improvement in the ejector seat, Turmpeter did a nice-ish job but I was already in the dance, so let's dance and improve it a bit.

8x6-IMG_3832.jpg

8x6-IMG_3833.jpg

For the first time I use flatten lead wire technique for the staps, I'm quite pleased with it.

8x6-IMG_3834.jpg

I liked the seat quite a lot, but I won't do it again for the other model so a resin copy is in order. Usually this rubber cures in 24hs but I had a problem once so I'll leave it 48hs, just to be sure.

8x6-IMG_3835.jpg

8x6-IMG_3836.jpg

Later my son showed up and decided to "help me" he's really happy making some holes with dremel, hammering, sanding and sewing.

8x6-IMG_3838.jpg

Edited by dergrunepunkt
  • Like 1