1:72 - Lightning T.4 and T.5 from Sword

Navy Bird

Anyone with a Trumpton Lightning fancy holding the parts up against those shots to see if there's any (hopefully not!!) similarity between the two??

NO resemblence what-so -ever THANK GOD !

its also missing the mistake Neomega copied over from the trumpeter on their conversion , which was the "pointy v shape" trumpeter has where the jet eflux trunking blends into the fuselage ..Sword has the correct "U shape " bit hard to explain but just imagine a V and a U on their sides and youll spot it :)

I can't see any similarities to the trump kit whasoever anywhere!! So thats a big plus. The rear end doesn't have an overly pincehd area as per the Tump kit or spurious rivet detail. So another big plus there. If anything it bears a stronger resemblance in certain areas to the lovely 48th Airfix Lightnings!!

But, I'm not so sure if the T.4 had long cable ducts without looking it up. Minor issue for me. I ahve commented before about the captioning on the box so won't go through that again. But both the 'Lakenheat' and Alconbury ones are Lightnings recorded at airshows I suspect as I definitely remember XV328 at Alconbury the year mentioned. Note the incorrect serial for this one quoted as XS328 on the caption. And..., I hope that the font the serials/codes shown in the illustrations are not reflected in the decals!!!

Is this the first Lightning kit not to have separate airbrakes? :clap2: Finally, no need for fiddly location, filling and sanding to get the damn' things flush.

The decal artwork needs a little polishing though - on the T4 the 56 Sqn checkerboards don't seem to have the pale blue outline, decal 34 says 'Danger not gasses...' . On both sheets the cautions about 'keep clean of the intakes...'? Isn't that being a little too zealous about FOD prevention. :lol:

Paul - yes the T4 has 'short' conduits; think F1(a) is to T4 as F3 is to T5. :)

• Like 1

Thought so! Since my previous posting I have checked. So this could does mean some work in shortening the cable duct. Minor job. Roll on! I have a couple on order!!

Thought so! Since my previous posting I have checked. So this could does mean some work in shortening the cable duct. Minor job. Roll on! I have a couple on order!!

Paul, don't forget that the cockpit layout was different as well, instructor's throttle controls central on the T4 and on the right on the T5,and you'll also need to remove the intake scoop on the spine for the T4.....

There are sprue shots, pe detail, decals and a made up T5 on the Hyperscale website for 25 April. It looks pretty good to me. The suggested release date is end April!

John

Looks good from the photos but I want to see the profile of that belly tank before I get too carried away. Shame about the cable ducts if they don't have the shorter variant for the T4.

Duncan B

Well its finally out, just got back from Hannants with one of each. Seems like I was the first person to get one and my guess is that if they have not already gone, they will soon.

They look good from the quick look I have had of them.

• Like 1

Well its finally out, just got back from Hannants with one of each. Seems like I was the first person to get one and my guess is that if they have not already gone, they will soon.

They look good from the quick look I have had of them.

Mine were dispatched today. Huzzah!

Hello all,

I've just had one of each of these arrive from that well known establishment in Lowestoft.

A point to note is that even though the plastic is the same in each boxing, the square topped fin has been removed from the sprue in the T4 kit, likewise the round top fin has been removed from the sprue in the T5 kit.

On a minor point the instructions show the cockpit tub as a resin part, although, as can be seen in the sprue shots it is in fact in injected plastic.

Cheers

Rob

Hello all,

A point to note is that even though the plastic is the same in each boxing, the square topped fin has been removed from the sprue in the T4 kit, likewise the round top fin has been removed from the sprue in the T5 kit.

DOH ! the logic of kit manufacturers escapes me sometimes.........now instead of somebody buying the surviving T5 boxings in a shop (if both fins were on the sprues) to happilly make a potentially soldout T4 instead (with aftermarket decal sheets) they will leave the T5 on the shelf....... (and vice versa)

i wonder what Swords done with all the thrown away fins??????

shoot the marketing executive who dreamt that one up !

• Sad 1

I wonder what Swords done with all the thrown away fins??????

My thoughts precisely!!!

It might more likely be the other way round - you could buy a T5 & still make a T4 with a bit of cutting & sanding of the fin. Bit more difficult to build up the T5 fin from a T4's! :winkgrin:

DOH ! the logic of kit manufacturers escapes me sometimes.........now instead of somebody buying the surviving T5 boxings in a shop (if both fins were on the sprues) to happilly make a potentially soldout T4 instead (with aftermarket decal sheets) they will leave the T5 on the shelf....... (and vice versa)

i wonder what Swords done with all the thrown away fins??????

Funnily enough I recently purchased their low back Spitfire XVI and it included one(!) high back fuselage half. Two would have been useful for the spares box, but one!!?

• Like 1

I asked the question re the Lightning fins and the reply was:

I was taken aback your e-mail.It´s no problem leave both tails in kit.

I suppose,that is more clear for modelers,who´s tails is correct for each version,because model contains parts for one aircraft only.

It´s extra work for my stuff.I will let there next time both versions of tails or other parts.

I am sorry.Thank you for your comments.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...