1:72 - Lightning T.4 and T.5 from Sword

Navy Bird

Well that will save me bashing an Airfix F2a and an Aeroclub fuselage.......though I will wait until I've seen the new kits before I decide to bin the Aeroclub fuselage....

I just remember how disappointed I was with the Xtrakit/MPM Hunter T7....and Sea Vixen.......and Canberra PR9.......and Sea Harrier FA2.......

But....MPM did indicate they would issue an F3, so maybe, just maybe......that may also see the light of day

• Like 1

p.s. You can thank me when they announce the early marks as I stick the last of the decals on this one!

By 'thank' do you mean point and laugh?

Suppose I should quite messing about on here and go finish that Hunter so Sword announce a T.7/8 next...

• Like 1

Well that will save me bashing an Airfix F2a and an Aeroclub fuselage.......though I will wait until I've seen the new kits before I decide to bin the Aeroclub fuselage....

I just remember how disappointed I was with the Xtrakit/MPM Hunter T7....and Sea Vixen.......and Canberra PR9.......and Sea Harrier FA2.......

But....MPM did indicate they would issue an F3, so maybe, just maybe......that may also see the light of day

I agree about the disappointment of those kits, but these new Lightning models are from Sword, not MPM. I haven't built a lot of Sword kits, but those that I have (some Spitfires, Seafires, Bearcat) seemed quite nice. I have both of their Harrier trainers (T.2 and T.4) and look nice in the box. We'll see how these new Lightning kits are pretty soon, I hope!

Cheers,

Bill

I've built a number of their Spitfires (two Vcs, two Seafire IIcs, a IXe) and two kits they did for Xtrakit (Spitfire XII and Swift FR.5). The Swift was...not very good, and I understand their Scimitar for Xtrakit leaves much to be desired, but their Spitfires are excellent, albeit labor-intensive to build well.

In my limited experience, Sword is a little like AZ - their older stuff is typical short-run quality, but the newer stuff is years ahead. I wasn't aware that Sword did the Swift for Xtrakit, I would have guessed it was MPM. No matter, I'm really looking forward to these new Lightning trainers!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Well, I'm not...ept...as modellers go, but to my eye, the Swift's nose is a bit short for an FR.5.

I'd seen that mentioned with pics of a museum example to back it up - unfortunately those pics looked to have been taken with a wide angle lens making the nose look longer than it should. I'm no expert but when I got mine I checked it against the best side on pics I could find & it was fine - to me anyway, & that's all I need!

Anyway, wandering waaaay OT now...bring on the Frightning tubs Mr. Sword....!!

Just had a horrible thought !!!, we know the Sword Harrier two seaters were basically evolved form the Italeri(Esci) Harriers, what happens if the Lightning two seaters are based around the Trumpeter kit rather than say the new Airfix F-2A, will we get the very ropey over pinched back end and exhausts !!!!

• Like 1

In my limited experience, Sword is a little like AZ - their older stuff is typical short-run quality, but the newer stuff is years ahead.

I agree. I have the Harrier T2, P-80, T-33, F-94, F2H and F3D in The Stash. They are all very nice kits. The Harrier T2 is on a par with the Italeri GR3 (some might say it was basd on the Italeri kit).

I have built the Sword T-28 and am currently building the T2V. Both kits fitted very well indeed and have nice surface detail.

I don't see why the Lightning T-birds should be any different.

Hopefully they'll be available for the Lightning STGB.

Just had a horrible thought !!!, we know the Sword Harrier two seaters were basically evolved form the Italeri(Esci) Harriers, what happens if the Lightning two seaters are based around the Trumpeter kit rather than say the new Airfix F-2A, will we get the very ropey over pinched back end and exhausts !!!!

Stop thinking like that. You're just gonna make yourself ill! :bleh:

• Like 1

I agree. I have the Harrier T2, P-80, T-33, F-94, F2H and F3D in The Stash...

Hopefully they'll be available for the Lightning STGB.

Show off! :speak_cool:

Be great if they are available for the STGB.

Anyone know about decal options yet? All the Sword kits I've seen, while not near so many as Enzo :rolleyes: , have three options on the box.

I agree. I have the Harrier T2, P-80, T-33, F-94, F2H and F3D in The Stash. They are all very nice kits. The Harrier T2 is on a par with the Italeri GR3 (some might say it was basd on the Italeri kit).

No 'might' about it, most of the parts are interchangeable and it even includes one or two minor errors form the kit.

No 'might' about it, most of the parts are interchangeable and it even includes one or two minor errors form the kit.

Well, I'm not...ept...as modellers go, but to my eye, the Swift's nose is a bit short for an FR.5.

I thought that too, but maybe only by a mm or so, but it's pretty close (and the best so far!). It's a funny shape, with lots of complex curves.

You wouldn't be talking about the bulges on the undersurface of the mainplane, would you? ;)

It could actually be worse and be based on the Neomega T4 conversion for the Trumpeter kit! I have all but given up on that, they did sort the pinched rear but did nothing about the pregnant cow belly, the resin exhausts don't fit into the rear end and someone on here also said that the front end is based on the Matchbox T55 which had the shape all wrong.

I really hope Sword have started from scratch, using a real one as the template. If they have it'll be like a little gold mine for them, if not we'll just have to keep on waiting.

Duncan B

Can any one tell me are these Limited Editions Folks?

They are short run rather than limited editions. All of Sword's catalogue is short run. It does give a problem in that some may sell out quite quickly. For instance, the Sword F-80C is like hens' teeth these days. It may be prudent to put a few of these in The Stash.

• Like 1

They are short run rather than limited editions. All of Sword's catalogue is short run. It does give a problem in that some may sell out quite quickly. For instance, the Sword F-80C is like hens' teeth these days. It may be prudent to put a few of these in The Stash.

I was wondering which one to get :hmmm:

Armed with this information, the answer is clear. Both and lots :thumbsup:

• Like 3

New Sword 1:72 Lightning T.4 (Kit SW72079):

SW72079.jpg

I like this scheme, just something about EE Lightnings and red that makes them appealing

It could actually be worse and be based on the Neomega T4 conversion for the Trumpeter kit! I have all but given up on that, they did sort the pinched rear but did nothing about the pregnant cow belly, the resin exhausts don't fit into the rear end and someone on here also said that the front end is based on the Matchbox T55 which had the shape all wrong.

I really hope Sword have started from scratch, using a real one as the template. If they have it'll be like a little gold mine for them, if not we'll just have to keep on waiting.

Duncan B

I thinks someone else makes a T4/5 resin conversion but it eludes me at the moment. It should fit the new airfix kit with a little tweaking but of course someone will bring out a proper conversion. From what I know the Matchbox is not all that inaccurate it might be worth some hacking as well

I was wondering which one to get :hmmm:

Armed with this information, the answer is clear. Both and lots :thumbsup:

What is the difference between a T4 and a T5? Is it just the fin? If so, the plastic contents of both boxes might be identical. This is true of Sword's Harrier T-birds.

Edited by Enzo Matrix