1:72 - Lightning T.4 and T.5 from Sword

Navy Bird

Everyone with the puns, take a bough.

Can we get back to the Lightning please?

So who has taken the plunge and pre-ordered unseen?

• Like 3

So who has taken the plunge and pre-ordered unseen?

I came perilously close the other day. The only thing holding me back is that I really didn't enjoy the one Sword-tooled jet (Swift) I've built, and I'm not entirely sure what these will be like.

• Like 1

I came perilously close the other day. The only thing holding me back is that I really didn't enjoy the one Sword-tooled jet (Swift) I've built, and I'm not entirely sure what these will be like.

The Swift was quite a few years ago. The modern Sword kits are far better. I'm currently building their T2V.

The Swift was quite a few years ago. The modern Sword kits are far better. I'm currently building their T2V.

That's what I figured, can you tell me more? I generally like their Spitfire kits, although they take a fair amount of care, given my limited skills.

That's what I figured, can you tell me more? I generally like their Spitfire kits, although they take a fair amount of care, given my limited skills.

I can indeed...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952906-t2v-1-seastar/

The Sword T2V is clearly a limited run kit. You can't just chuck it together like you can an Airfix or Trumpeter kit. It will require a fair amount of care, but then you say you apply that anyway. To be honest, I can't see you having many problems.

I'm very confident about the Sword Lightning T-birds. That's not from any special knowledge of them; it's simply from experience of Sword's previous kits. I've (sort of) pre-ordered one on the basis of that confidence.

Xtradecal are producing 2 new sheets for the forthcoming Lightning T4 and T5.

Oh my word!!!!

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72200

A T4 from 226 OCU and a T5 from Akrotiri Station Flight. That's me sorted then! :D

The Sword T2V is clearly a limited run kit. You can't just chuck it together like you can an Airfix or Trumpeter kit. It will require a fair amount of care, but then you say you apply that anyway. To be honest, I can't see you having many problems.

I'm very confident about the Sword Lightning T-birds. That's not from any special knowledge of them; it's simply from experience of Sword's previous kits. I've (sort of) pre-ordered one on the basis of that confidence.

The one & only thing stopping me pre-ordering at least 4 of the things is the nagging doubt that has been planted by the earlier post wondering whether they might be based on the awful Trumpton thing - which unfortunately does sound like it could be ominously true given the accepted provenance of the Sword Harrier T-Birds as being another firms single seater kit........

I haven't bought any Sword kits before as the price has generally seemed a little too much to me for their 1/72nd aircraft, but a twin seat Lightning could be an exception….

Can't even get a Matchbox twin seat Lightning for that money now

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (apologies if it has) but these two kits can be pre-ordered from West Coast Hobbys for CAD $23.50. West Coast Hobbys is in British Columbia, Canada and is quite convenient for those of us in North America. I think their price is reasonable and Rob ships quickly. Good guy to work with.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I saw that, that's likely where I'll go, too. Rob's great for anyone ordering in the USA.

It's in the middle of the morning in Chicago - you wouldn't perchance be perusing Britmodeller on company time would you? :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Side profiles on Sword website too. Can anything be guessed from them or are they based on generic side views

http://www.swordmodels.cz/coming-soon/

I'm itching to pre-order but would prefer to see at least a sprue shot first

Not guess work but the artwork leaves a bit to be desired - quite a few mistakes there........

Including......no pale blue surround to 56 Sqn Nose chequerboard, XV328 should have a Barley/Mixed Grey fin, Fonts are wrong, Binbrook's Lion looks like an horse!!!92 Sqn D.Green T4 with r/w/b upper roundels? I doubt it......

Lets hope the decals are better!!

BUT as long as the kits are accurate - and the side profiles look decent enough on initial glance......

Edited by Bill Clark

I believe Sword have corrected decal schemes before -- one of their P-40 kits ended up with a totally different marking option than initially depicted on the site -- so it may be worth it to contact them.

I believe Sword have corrected decal schemes before -- one of their P-40 kits ended up with a totally different marking option than initially depicted on the site -- so it may be worth it to contact them.

The decal sheets in the Harrier kits were fine. So lets hope they're okay here, though I have stashes of Modeldecal/Xtradecal etc., in the wings - so I'm not that bothered if the kits decals aren't up to it. Just a shame if they are wrong for those that haven't got alternatives.

A further error that I doubt will be corrected is the caption for the 226OCU one XS452 as being at "Lakenheat"! Apart from missing a letter I think the caption is a bit misleading as lots of people know or should know that 226OCU(145 squadron) were based at RAF Coltishall. A nit pick but I just wanted to put the record straight. Maybe they were basing it on a photo taken at the 'heath at an airshow.

BUT... instead of moaning here shouldn't someone be contacting Sword and ask them to check, correct these errors before the boxes go to the printers.

• Like 2