Boeing 787 Dreamliner 'Norwegian'

I started this one at Christmas thinking it would be a nice quick build. Few parts, rattle can of white paint, a bit of red at the front end...... Well it has taken me until now to get it done!

I always thought the Dreamliner was a bit on the ugly side, but I have to say that building this model has changed my mind. It has lovely flowing lines and had gone from ugly duckling to beautiful swan. Maybe it has something to do with them now appearing in proper airline liveries rather than prototype colours.

The kit is the Revell boxing of the Zvezda mouldings, and is beautifully done. The fan blades in the engines feature individual blades, cleverly moulded as two rings of blades that fit together. The cockpit glazing was a slightly oversize fit and required sanding to blend it in. I polished it back to clarity with micromesh cloths as I prefer clear glazing to window decals.

Decals are from Lima November and very nicely done. I chose EI-LNB (Irish reg. as these aircraft are leased and not on the Norwegian register) 'Thor Heyerdal' as my Grandmother was at school with him!

All in all an enjoyable build, not as quick as I thought it would be, but it is a big aeroplane especially when seen next to a 737.

787-1_zps7b20c72c.jpg

787-2_zpsecd5ddef.jpg

787-3_zps1225cd69.jpg

787-4_zps46b36177.jpg

787-5_zps8c3f4e52.jpg

787-7_zps9d09ab6d.jpg

787-6_zps3a9faacd.jpg

787-8_zps2fc9ac29.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 21

I know what you mean about the look of the 787 I'm still undecided about it but your model looks just right. Lovely job and certainly looks good with the 737.

Steve

Very nice.

I too am string to find the Dreamliner not quite so ugly. I think it is the Boeing colours as some airline scemmes go well on it

The BA ones look quite nice and the -900 with the extra length is an imprvement.

Just a pity about the awful nose.

This livery does look very nice and that is a superb job.

Full marks on keeping the windows clear

Excellent job, I am in the process of doing a BA 787 and like you am really starting to come round to its look and find it interesting as someone else noted that after years of research and computer modelling we are finding ourselves back with similar noses on airliners to the Comet. (Airbus and Embraer I think also have similar nose shapes). Enough thread creep back to complimenting a great looking model and an inspiration for my one.

Well done

Graham

Lovely model, not sure about the shape of the real thing.

Now stop it, I really am starting to have a stirring in my loins about building a couple of airlines and the stash is too big already, and that is not being helped by Airfix's recent and future WW2 releases.

Thank you all for the kind comments :)

Very smart, John! Can I ask how you did the line around the radome?

Andrew

Andrew, it was done with thin strips of Tamiya tape following the panel line that is there, leaving a fine gap then sprayed.

I noticed it was quite prominent on photos on Airliners.net.

Wow, wow, wow! Beautiful!

Did you do a WIP thread? If not, what are the pitfalls of this kit?

Cheers,

Harry.

Harry, The main one was the slightly over size cockpit glazing. It's not much, but I prefered to get it flush so sanded it and then polished it back. The other thing was my own fault. I cut the tailplanes off the sprue thinking that the pegs on them were part of the runner and chopped them off. Then I discover that they are meant to go into holes on the fuselage. Doh!.

Also there are no blade ariels in the kit, but 4 prominent ones on the real thing near the tailfin, under the fusleage and near where the white starts on the fuselage top. I pinched some spares I had from a Daco 737 kit.

I didn't do a WIP as I thought this was going to be quick build while I had 5 days off a Christmas. Quick build my ....

Great job John, That finish is superb! Any tips?

Did you use decal framing for the windscreen or is it painted?

:thumbsup:

Trojan, the framing is masked and sprayed at the same time as I did the line around the radome. The kit decal sheet had white framing, the Lima November sheet had silver framing, but solid decal for the cockpit windows, so neither option was any help to me. I already had the glass panes masked off, so I ran some thin tape around the outside to create the framing, then sprayed Alclad Aluminium.

When I say thin tape, what I do is use Tamiya 10mm tape laid on a cutting mat and with a steel ruler and new blade, cut strips about 1 mm wide..

The finish is Halfords appliance white given a few days to cure, then buffed with micromesh polishing cloths. The red is bog standard Tamiya acrylic red airbrushed on, and the silver bits are all Alclad. Afetr decalling a coat of Johnsons Klear was applied with a 1/4" brush to proteect everything. It does look a bit shiny in the photos because I had to use flash on the camera as the weather is so dull and wet here, we could do with some proper sunlight for a change. The flash has emphasised the smooth finish, but it's a brand new aeroplane only just gone into service. Thats my excuse anyway.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

Excellent construction and color job.

I am amazed that the engines are so close to the tarmac!

Dirk

The Netherlands.