This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Daniel Cox

HMS King George V during 1945 (Picture Heavy!)

Hi All,

In my quest for pictures that show details of HMS Prince of Wales I have found some nice pictures of HMS King George V as captured on a visit to Australia by Allan C. Green during 29 October 1945. Although they are not pictures of the Prince of Wales they are still of interest for anyone building a model of that class of Warship and of course specifically HMS King George V.

So here they are.

12530961853_119c640c17_o.jpg

12531313904_6da2228ae3_o.jpg

12531307864_2fd62993c6_o.jpg

12531302074_2d405a5b75_o.jpg

12531293204_38d3dd742e_o.jpg

12531284704_a1c8329325_o.jpg

12530800715_3b4a7040b1_o.jpg

Plus some crops.

12530940933_bb09fe1730_o.jpg

12530810185_91cd2f992c_o.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

P.S. As usual these are Public Domain images and are in this instance sourced from the State Library of Victoria.

Is it just me or do those officers with their feet on something or other in the penultimate photo look as if they're doing a routine from "In The Navy"?

PS Lovely crisp clear photos: thnaks for posting.

Those aren't officers m'lad; they are Royal Marines!!

I suspect that the thing they have their feet on is a mooring boom, which gets hung out from the ship at right-angles for the ship's boats to moor up to. Either that or the RAS stanchion in its stowed position?

Those aren't officers m'lad; they are Royal Marines!!

I'm not so tired of living that I dare suggest that RMs might do Village People routines.

Can you fix the pictures please? :rolleyes:

Edited by Brokenedge

Thanks Chewitt, they are fantastic pics. I wish we could have this quality on all reference pics....I know, dream on!! :sleep_1:

Wow, that are awesome, brilliant reference pictures. Thanks for sharing these. :goodjob:

They are magnificent pictures that show alot of detail, thanks for posting. Also for future references try the IWM research section of the website. There are some excellent pictures in there, not as great detail as above but well worth a visit.

Cheers now

Bob

Those photos are fantastic!

If you happen to come across any for Duke of York, please post. I'm building a 1/350 conversion from KGV as DoY in 1945.

On 13/09/2016 at 01:31, Model Monkey said:

Those photos are fantastic!

If you happen to come across any for Duke of York, please post. I'm building a 1/350 conversion from KGV as DoY in 1945.

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you go onto You-Tube, and just type in HMS Duke of York, there's video of her being launched and then there's another of her sadly heading of to the Breakers, but there's plenty of other videos of the King George Class Battleships, you might get something from them

On 3/6/2019 at 1:03 PM, Papa4ways said:

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you go onto You-Tube, and just type in HMS Duke of York, there's video of her being launched and then there's another of her sadly heading of to the Breakers, but there's plenty of other videos of the King George Class Battleships, you might get something from them

Thanks so much, really appreciate your advice!

Best wishes,

Steve